The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Rich 5150 69

Re: All about heaters.

When Bubba327 changed out his heater core for the larger core he had to open up his upper lid the accomidate the larger core, as shown in the pic above....my upper section is already larger/factory but has a notch in it for a block off plate, I`m assumming that this would be a later design as to cut costs one box fits all...? I ended up with a smaller core only because I could`nt find a larger core locally, made a quick plate from alumimun. Anybody have pics as to how the factory hung the core in the box.....?
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are formed steel 'C' shaped straps at each end that fit over the tanks on the ends. These are attached to the top cover with screws. Sorry I don't have any pics........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post

When Bubba327 changed out his heater core for the larger core he had to open up his upper lid the accomidate the larger core, as shown in the pic above....my upper section is already larger/factory but has a notch in it for a block off plate, I`m assumming that this would be a later design as to cut costs one box fits all...? I ended up with a smaller core only because I could`nt find a larger core locally, made a quick plate from alumimun. Anybody have pics as to how the factory hung the core in the box.....?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
65Guy

Hey mark do you have assembly manual pics for 65 with deluxe 3 lever heat?
65Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Guy View Post
Hey mark do you have assembly manual pics for 65 with deluxe 3 lever heat?
Sorry, I only have the 1960 Accessory Installation and Chevy Truck Shop manuals.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post

I opened mine up today.
Somebody put the smaller core in mine and left the rest wide open.
I guess I could make a plate like like you did.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
jbgroby

Ok I have something to ad to the thread that is a bit puzzling. I decided to take the heater box apart and start the dry fit to see what core I might need. I have a "large" core with the Ranco valve, have not decided as of yet whether I'm going to keep this set up or not and just go with a hand turn valve under the hood. I a bit of a purest so I'm torn between the OEM look and less aggravation.

I took the top off of the box and discovered that although the firewall has the proper hole in it for a the control cable to pass, the deluxe heater box does not? I snapped some pictures of everything for the record and everyone’s reference. I also took pictures of the core with the Ranco valve in situ, to see how it all lines up. It seems to fit well and I’m hoping that the core and Ranco valve will be usable. I bought the valve off eBay about 3 years back. IF this core is no go I’ll probably go with a match and will need to modify the top of the heater box I believe, based on other pictures I’ve seen.

I have not figured out what the large hole in front is for just yet, any Ideas?

Let me know what you fine folks think.
Attached Images

jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
VonDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Ok I have something to ad to the thread that is a bit puzzling. I decided to take the heater box apart and start the dry fit to see what core I might need. I have a "large" core with the Ranco valve, have not decided as of yet whether I'm going to keep this set up or not and just go with a hand turn valve under the hood. I a bit of a purest so I'm torn between the OEM look and less aggravation.

I took the top off of the box and discovered that although the firewall has the proper hole in it for a the control cable to pass, the deluxe heater box does not? I snapped some pictures of everything for the record and everyone’s reference. I also took pictures of the core with the Ranco valve in situ, to see how it all lines up. It seems to fit well and I’m hoping that the core and Ranco valve will be usable. I bought the valve off eBay about 3 years back. IF this core is no go I’ll probably go with a match and will need to modify the top of the heater box I believe, based on other pictures I’ve seen.

I have not figured out what the large hole in front is for just yet, any Ideas?

Let me know what you fine folks think.
The large hole in the front of the box is for the cable. Its surrounded by a round rubber holder i guess but the cable goes through there and hooks to the control valve. I have pics of mine as I just rebuilt mine a few weeks ago.
VonDog is offline   Reply With Quote