The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Bluerb

windshield wipers don't work

Howdy. I'm new here and will post an introduction with photos of my new burb this weekend. For now though, I've got a question about the wipers. I'm buying a friend's 1990 GMC 1500 4x4 suburban, getting it this weekend. It's been parked in dry central Oregon for a couple of years and is in mostly great condition.

She brought it back here to rainy Portland last week, and discovered that the wipers won't run except with the washers pumping water. Since they work fine when the washers are going, it doesn't seem that the motor is bad. I'm thinking it is likely the switch, but I wanted to see if anyone here has other ideas.

Are there specific wires that could come loose and cause it to only work on one setting? I haven't been under the dash yet to look at the setup.

Thanks, any thoughts are appreciated.

Timothy
Bluerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
zaccaglin

Re: windshield wipers don't work

Below your steering Colin there is a plate you can remove on the lower dash. Behind it you'll find A wiper delay module. It will be mounted to the steering column itself. It has wires coming out of both end and its black with a silver heats ink on it. That may be your issue. You can find them at pick n pull all day long cheaper than an auto part store.
Posted via Mobile Device

1998 Chevrolet C1500 Ext. Cab 350

Former Rig:
1985 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 6.2L Detroit/TH400/NP208
zaccaglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Bluerb

Thanks Zaccaglin. I brought the truck home today, I'll take a look at the switch.

Only thing that concerns me is a squeak from the front end with some grease on the outside of the hub. Unfortunately the PO drove it 200 miles like that, hopefully it didn't do too much damage.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Bluerb

What kind of interchange is there? GMC pickups? What years?

Our local pick and pull only has one 85 chevy burb and a couple of mid-90s. I've got tilt-steering, so it looks like it will be a different part than non-tilt.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
zaccaglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerb View Post
What kind of interchange is there? GMC pickups? What years?

Our local pick and pull only has one 85 chevy burb and a couple of mid-90s. I've got tilt-steering, so it looks like it will be a different part than non-tilt.
i dont believe it mattes between tilt or non. Should be anywhere from 83-91 burbs or 83-87 trucks i believe.

1998 Chevrolet C1500 Ext. Cab 350

Former Rig:
1985 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 6.2L Detroit/TH400/NP208
zaccaglin is offline   Reply With Quote