The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

92 Sierra ECSB - Pics included

I picked up this '92 ECSB about a month ago with no motor in it. The kid bought it for the engine as someone put a carbed one in. Luckily the harness wasn't cut or mangled etc. They even used the In-tank pump.

It's a clean truck originally from MO then lived in AZ for a while before coming all the way to MASS about 2 years ago. Rot Free which is HUGE here in New England. Lots of dings/dents, but still presentable.

I traded the factory Aluminum Mags for Cash & the stock steels which have excellent rubber on them (the Mags were well worn).

The truck had a rebuilt 700R4 in it when I got it. I picked up a junk truck with a nice running TBI350 - pulled it apart and found out it was a Jasper rebuild or something similar with very few miles on it. It looked like new inside and was a .030over & 4bolt main. The motor ended up costing me $200 after junking the rest of the truck.

Re-gasketed the motor, paint, tune up, etc. etc. all for saftey sake.

Also found out it has a Belltech lowering kit already installed (I think they are 3" front and 4" rear shackle kit). I need to raise the front up though, the front shocks are still stock and there is no "bounce" at all. I also need to tow a car trailer, so I might have to raise the back as well.

I'd like to re-paint it, but it is a budget beater work truck. I guess it will stay as is for now anyway.

I'm into it less than $1100 for everything (Including Engine & Tuneup etc) so I'm staying on track for a budget truck.

Future plans: Re-paint the wheels, Raise it a little, get matching tinted EC windows, Fix the headliner, New grille (current is broken), And Drive it.

Pics: (First one is when I first got it with the mags and no motor)

-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered

Last edited by arkracing; 08-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
98gmc

Re: 92 Sierra ECSB - Pics included

Nice start and great price for a running truck too
even if you do have to put some labor in it
98gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Any suggestions on how much to raise the front? I kinda like it lowered, but would like to have it sitting level. I can take some pictures of the rear setup to get a better idea. I think it might be a 4" shackle kit, as there are front hangers and rear shackles with the stock springs.

I need to tow a car trailer as well. Any thoughts on an Air Assist setup?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Parked on level ground, what is the distance from the ground to the lip of your front fender, measured at the middle of the wheel opening?

I'm guessing you have lowering spindles up front, and maybe cut coils/heated coils/aftermarket lowering coils on top of that. If that's the case, you could keep the spindles and swap in stock coils; that would take you back up some without going all the way up.

But IMHO the stance is pretty sweet as-is. If the ride is rough, it's probably because a PO took a shortcut somewhere -- it probably needs drop shocks, for starters.

Edit: Also, I can't believe how clean that truck is inside. Great buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.

Last edited by jb1016; 08-10-2010 at 12:06 AM.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Bigg G

Nice builder !!!!!

That looks more like a 2/2 drop to me that's via coils or spindles up front and shackles in the rear.

Here's my 95 ECSB with DJM's 4/6 Lowering Kit and 15" Sport Wheels w/225-75-15's. Note the room between the fender lips and top of the tire.

Last edited by Bigg G; 08-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Bigg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Parked on level ground, what is the distance from the ground to the lip of your front fender, measured at the middle of the wheel opening?

I'm guessing you have lowering spindles up front, and maybe cut coils/heated coils/aftermarket lowering coils on top of that. If that's the case, you could keep the spindles and swap in stock coils; that would take you back up some without going all the way up.

But IMHO the stance is pretty sweet as-is. If the ride is rough, it's probably because a PO took a shortcut somewhere -- it probably needs drop shocks, for starters.

Edit: Also, I can't believe how clean that truck is inside. Great buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg G View Post
Nice builder !!!!!

That looks more like a 2/2 drop to me that's via coils or spindles up front and shackles in the rear.

Here's my 95 ECSB with DJM's 4/6 Lowering Kit and 15" Sport Wheels w/225-75-15's. Note the room between the fender lips and top of the tire.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I did a little more investigation. The front has Drop Springs only - no spindles, and it appears that the shocks are stock and that is probably why I'm not getting any "bounce" in the front end. The front springs are Belltech's and are part number = 4452-001. Summit doesn't give good descriptions all thier options say 1"-2" drop, but I found on another website they might be 3" drop springs.

I typed the P# in to Belltech and they come up superceded #23452 and are 2"-3" drop for the C2500 LD (6-lug) suspensions.

The rear has A/M front hangers and the drop shackles in the rear with stock shocks and the stock leaf springs.

I have a set of stock front springs, but if I put those in I'll have to raise the rear as well. I guess I could just see about getting the drop shocks for the front.

Last edited by arkracing; 08-10-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
98gmc

summit sells drop shocks that are pretty good.

i have them on my truck and they ride good and they don't cost much either
98gmc is offline   Reply With Quote