The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
blu87

My ride is rough

Somebody help me out here.
I just got my new 87 shortie with 1 rear leaf removed and new LMC 2" drop front springs. I've put Mcgaughey(sp) shorty shocks on all 4 corners.
The wheels are Coys 20 front, 22 rear with yokohama 255/40s all around.
It rides like crap.
Maybe I'm just too old school and not used to the low profile ride. Maybe the setup is wrong...completely... or just some parts.
The shocks are stiffest I ever seen and the experienced installer said he's never seen shocks that stiff. The ride is rumbly over minor street bumps and really bounces you around over the bigger bumps, like rr tracks.
I'm thinking I can live with a some sacrifice in ride comfort because of the low profile tires but this is way too much. The front is more of a problem than the rear but I'm thinking the new 2" drop frt springs should still be OK for acceptable ride. So my problem/solution is probably the shocks.
Anyone have any suggestions on that brand of shock, or experience with a smoother shock with the same setup? Maybe I don't need short shocks...I'm groping here?
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images

blu87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: My ride is rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu87 View Post
The ride is rumbly over minor street bumps and really bounces you around over the bigger bumps, like rr tracks.
Rumbly is probably the low profile tires. Get used to it or get smaller wheels.

Boundy is probably the shock setup. There are lots of threads here about who makes the best shocks... and you'll get about a bzjillion different opinions... but I'd go with either the regular or the Sensa-Trac Monroes all the way around for smoothest ride.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Check your tire pressures also. When I first put the 18's on my truck, I had way too much tire pressure and it rode like crap.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The stiff shocks are probably causing at least part of your ride problems. Stiff makes the entire truck follow the bumps, rather than just the wheels. Short sidewalls make this worse because the tire can't absorb anything either. If the length of the shocks is limiting the suspension travel, either long or short, it can cause ride issues too. As a test, try removing the front shocks and drive over a "known" bump. This will confirm or eliminate them. If the springs are too stiff, you may not see much difference. If they are soft, the truck will continue to bounce after the bump, before it settles. It may also bang the bumpstops. As a last resort, try swapping the front tires as a test. You may be surprised at the effect of the short sidewalls.

Nice looking truck BTW

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 01-06-2008 at 07:41 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
cdowns

those wheels and tires tho trendy are a poor riding choice for comfort//if you've still got the 15inch rims and tires put them on and take a short ride see the difference having some sidewall makes in comfort level
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Frizzle Fry

Try putting your stock shocks back on and see how it feels.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
blu87

The truck came with these wheels so I don't have an alternative to try. Shocks that were removed were orig after 141000 miles and had no action left. I'll try removing the shocks and test drive it.
Thanks for the ideas. If anyone has shock brand recommendations let me know.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Did you change the shocks, or did the PO?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
LayFrame72

Its just a sacrifice you have to live with if you wanna be low without bags..2" drop springs/5" blocks and 245/35/20 tires on my S-10..Its horrible, I feel EVERYTHING on the road, Even when theres no visible pot hole or road incline..It sucks, But im not turning back just because its uncomfortable..It dosnt help im riding on the bumpstops either.. But What you really need to watch out for its those potholes, Deep or not..Ive shattered two rims since ive ran those tires..Ive kept the 245's in the front but recently ive switched to 255/45 in the rear..Puts a little more rubber between you in the road and it seemed to help it out a bit..So if anything, Id look at your tire selection first, Just bump it up till you notice a change in your ride quality
LayFrame72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

you dont need drop shocks with just a 2" coil.. that is a lot of your problem, also check your bump stop clearance. I would put some Monroe or KYB stock replacements on and you'll be fine.

Drop shocks are stiffer b/c the travel is reduced, thus 'drop shocks'. A lot of bagged guys go with stock shocks and make mounts to fit when they do bag so they get that 'caddy ride'.
Bagged Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
jkade

I have some off the shelf shocks from the parts store and my 67 rides good and I think I am a little lower than you.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
st1x10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I have some off the shelf shocks from the parts store and my 67 rides good and I think I am a little lower than you.
Yup same here I got some from a local store and they ride GOOD! Much better than the wore out shocks that were on there. Mine is 2/4 drop on a 1970.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #13
slammed1
1972 Chevrolet SWB

McGaughys does use a stiffer than normal shock and their shocks are made by Explorer which makes alot of shocks for many different companies to put their names on. Like most others have said,the low pro tires on the 20"/22" combo makes for a firm ride already and couple that with stiff shocks you have a harsh ride. Dropped trucks dont need to be really bouncy which is why Mcgaughys choose that brand to use......is it the best? NO,are their better/worse? YES Not to knock McGaughys because their products are top notch,but I mainly use BellTechs for shocks and the Nitro Actives were their best in my opinion until they discontinued them(KYB made Actives for BellTech). BellTech now has a Nitro Drop II which when held in your hand feels like an old dead oil shock but when placed on the truck actually responds well to bumps and rides really nice on lowered trucks. All the shocks in the world though wont matter if your riding on the bumpstops,so always check your suspension fully before making major changes trying to find a great ride. Way too many people forget proper shock length and bumpstop clearance when doing suspension drops......if you pay close attention and make sure you have adequate room on your bumpstops and your shocks have enough compression and extension at ride height your dropped truck will ride really close to factory......well a little better since its new lower center of gravity but you know that already.

I say before you remove the Mcgaughys shocks,try to look underneath with the truck at ride height and see if any bumpstops frt or rear are either very close to touching a component of the truck and also to see if the shocks are the correct length for your application. I do know their shocks are stiff,Ive installed plenty of them,so if you do find they are the right ones but too stiff,and no other problems exist,a softer valved set of shocks may be your answer.

1972 Chevrolet 1/2 ton short wide bed,68 frt clip Project.
1980 Camaro Inherited when father passed,68K Miles
2003 Ford Mach1 FUN as Hell!!
2002 Dodge Ram 5-8 slam Rolling BillBoard (Gone not forgot)
2004 Dodge Ram HEMI 10" lifted on 37's and 2wd.

Last edited by slammed1; 01-06-2008 at 11:49 PM.
slammed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
blu87

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to try some standard sensatracs and see what happens. I have plenty of room between the bump stops, so hopefully a shock changeover will soften things up. I do expect a harder ride with the springs and tire profile, I'm just trying to cut down on the dental bills.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

One word, Bilstein!

Only shock I have used in the last 10 years and I love them. Not the cheapest but you will only buy them once and never will need to replace them.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #16
blu87

UPDATE
Removed the Mcgaughy shocks & installed Monroe sensatracs, replaced lower b joints, aligned it, lowered tire press 3#....rides GREAT.
The shocks were the key as recommended above, with only a 2" drop you don't need short shocks espec Mcgaughy.
LMC lead me down this path and its the second time I've listened to them and it's cost me time and a lot of $..don't fall for their NOS rear bumper ad, or you'll be out shipping charges.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
Bagged Nissan
the fab shack

good to see you got your problem fixed and that its riding great!
Bagged Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #18
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I was wondering if you're shock replacement fixed this issue. Glad to hear your back riding smooth....

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
HotRodYJ

The 2" springs I used under my 71 (from LMC) are pretty dang stiff for my liking also. They have actually softened up as they are breaking in but I think for the best ride comfort, you'd be better off with dropped spindles and go back to your nice soft factory coils.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote