The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
dwarf717

Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldawg View Post
there is no zinc in delo or rotella anymore hate to tell ya, if you don't believe me check
Zinc is still there at just under 1200 ppm. If the zinc was gone, they would have to change the classifications, and would not be certified for use in motorcycles. Diesel and motorcycle engines do not have roller valvetrains and still need the zinc.
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
dwarf717

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
From my research on oils,I can find nowhere that zinc has been banned.It seems that in all I have read that some zinc is still included in most oils and that other anti-wear additives have been included in at least some.Nowhere do I find that synthetic is better or worse than mineral based oil.I also haven't found anything about changing between the different(syn-blend-mineral) types causing problems.About the time the synthetics started hitting the market,I took several industrial lube classes and never was taught that there was any difference in lubricity.There are some problems with mixing and I don't fully understand but all I have found say not to mix but you can use a blend(isn't thathe same thing?).About that same time I was involved in upkeep on a fleet and they had gone to Mobil synthetics.Their test agreement with Mobil was to run Mobil synthetic in their fleet.Changes were done every 12,000 mi but the filters were changed every 3000 and a quart added.This was in the 70's and the test was scheduled to run for several years.I do know that in the 2 years I was involved there were no serious engine wear problems noted.This was in the early/mid 70's and the fleet(or at least what we took care of) consisted mostly of 1 tons racking up 30,000 or so a year.Each oil change had to be sampled for testing by Mobil.Who knows what they found but I'm sure they are still doing some of this type of research.
I have seen the cam manufacturers all seem to require the use of an antiwaer additive(I'm assuming a lead) for cam break-in.Most have their own proprietary additive,made to their specs.
Things have changed alot since the 70s! Zddp is not in any regular car oils anymore, mineral, or synthetic. There are no replacements in the oils to replace the zinc either. Engines all have roller valvetrains now, and do not need it. Zddp does not mix well with catalytic convertors, nor will an engine with zddp in its oil pass emissions tests. That is why engines were converted to roller valvetrains, and zddp eliminated from oil
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
dwarf717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pont406 View Post
from crower site:
Use of Synthetic Oils
Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oil in any application, particularly in hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. If your car manufacturer's owners manual suggests running synthetic oil, you may do so. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. We have found that the benefits, of synthetic motor oil, do not outweigh the costs and may endanger your engine's life. Crower recommends a non-detergent / race only petroleum based 30wt. motor oil in all performance applications. The lack of phosphorus and zinc in current oil blends is catastrophic to engine longevity. For all applications we do recommend running our ZDDPlus additive, which adds zinc and phosphorus back into the oil. For additional information on oil, click here!

http://www.crower.com/faq/#h
WORD!!!! Motorcycle, hdeo, and diesel rated oils still contain zddp and phosphorus.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #29
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf717 View Post
WORD!!!! Motorcycle, hdeo, and diesel rated oils still contain zddp and phosphorus.
In diesel oils the amount of zinc has plummeted in the last few year because modern diesel are getting roller cams.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
dwarf717

The levels have not plummeted, but yes they have been reduced. The levels are still way safe for use in older gasoline engines, and motorcycles. Unlike what is available in car oils today
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
jjzepplin

I will never touch the stuff again! I decided to try it out in my mower first... Finally got around to changing it and ran it only one time. I seemed to all of the sudden just blow up. Black smoke chugging, knocking rough running shut that thing down !!! I thought oh shoot it's done. Took that oil out and put some 30w in with some Lucas Lube and a new plug for kicks. Has been just fine since. So it sure as HELL is not going in my truck!!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #32
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I will never touch the stuff again! I decided to try it out in my mower first... Finally got around to changing it and ran it only one time. I seemed to all of the sudden just blow up. Black smoke chugging, knocking rough running shut that thing down !!! I thought oh shoot it's done. Took that oil out and put some 30w in with some Lucas Lube and a new plug for kicks. Has been just fine since. So it sure as HELL is not going in my truck!!
LOL. Apples to oranges comparison. Lawn mower motors are very different from truck engines
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Lawn mowers? Nothing but Mobil 1 in mine (Honda OHC engine) since I bought it new several years ago. No problems....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
jjzepplin

Smile Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
LOL. Apples to oranges comparison. Lawn mower motors are very different from truck engines
Posted via Mobile Device
HMMM. I thought they were the same.ROTFLMAO! Anyway, it's not going in my apple OR my orange!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #35
jjzepplin

Question Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Lawn mowers? Nothing but Mobil 1 in mine (Honda OHC engine) since I bought it new several years ago. No problems....
Honda Mowers are the shizz. Mine has a Kawasaki engine..Maybe that's the problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Honda Mowers are the shizz. Mine has a Kawasaki engine..Maybe that's the problem.
That probably was the issue. Some of the newer Honda mowers don't require you mix oil with the gas. Depending on what motor that thing had, it could have been very specific as to what it needed
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #37
Z10

Much discussion about zdp on several of the corvette forums. From what I read 0-40 still has elevated levels of zdp. Many are moving to 0-40
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf717 View Post
The levels have not plummeted, but yes they have been reduced. The levels are still way safe for use in older gasoline engines, and motorcycles. Unlike what is available in car oils today
Back when the oil companies first took the zinc and phosphorous out and didnt tell us, I ruined the cam in a Chevy 350 engines. Actually it ruined more than just the cam, as the metal from the cam and lifter that went flat became lodged in the piston skirts and also took out the crank journals.
Even though the failure came with several thousand miles on the engine, I thought that I must have not broken the cam in correctly, even though I had built several engines in the past, and broke the cam in the same way.

I pulled the engine and built a 383, with another flat tappet hydraulic Comp Cam. I did the cam break in as usual, and ran Castroil oil, still not knowing about the ZDDP being taken out. As soon as all of this oil situation came to light, I started running the ZDDP additive. Unfortunately it was too little to late as a few months ago, the cam went flat in this engine as well. I have not pulled the engine yet, but I am afraid that it ruined the crank and pistons as in the 350. THis is a lot more expensive proposition, as the rotating assembly in the 383 is forged and balanced, and the 350 was all cast and not balanced (other than from the factory).

Thanks for the heads up, oil companies! This only cost me a few grand!

Moderm oil seems to be OK in engines with stock valve spring pressures, but in anything with a flat tappet and higher than stock spring pressures, I reccomend using the additive, or if you can afford it, I believe most cam companys offer and nitrided or similar process to their cams.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote