The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
jocko

Re: new sister in the barn

thanks all, enjoying the little bit of time I've had to "get acquainted" with the ol girl since I bought it. You never know what you'll find... For example, the carpet I thought was protecting the bed (and I did peel up a corner just to make sure there WAS bedwood under it) was actually industrially glued to the wheel tubs and stapled/screwed into the bed wood in about a thousand places... Ha, the tubs are pretty trashed - but, the bed wood is in pretty decent shape. Still haven't scraped all the carpet out, so the jury is still out... Always fun digging into the past. This will be a fun one.

And get this - something I've NEVER experienced before. The day after I bought it, the po called me to make sure I made it home ok. Now how's that for a good ol guy!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
black_sheep454

Nice find, now we need more pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
SCHRUMGMC

Yeah I agree more pics please !!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
jocko

she's got a good bit of camper rash... overall pretty good condition. a little rust on the bedrail corners from the cap/campers over the years, but it's limited to a manageable amount on the the corners. gotta sell the cap now to get it off the patio, so I can put the 71 on the patio, so I can put the 72 in the garage, and the cat that ate the rat that swallowed a gnat....

removed the cap, plan is to sell it. got the mirror extensions off (never liked those things, but this is my favorite mirror style, when it has no extensions), which, as simple as it sounds, was more work than I thought it would be - the studs don't take normal nuts (was trying to get some temp replacements for my rusty acorn nuts, but they were the only kind that would work - studs are not coarse OR fine, some sort of interference fit to really clamp on the mirror). removed the flaky steering wheel cover. steering wheel is shot, but I have a few black ones to pic from to put on there in good condition. the interior is fair, dash unmolested. seat cover obviously incorrect, but like I said, workin on that. motor in nom 350 gm. trans is original th350. runs pretty well, but apparently only about 35K on the motor. Truck itself has about 200K and it shows. But can't complain, body is darn straight. Haven't gotten all the carpet out yet - will show you a pic when I do - the bed wood looks pretty solid, at least what I've seen so far.

For you SPID readers out there, yes, it originally had a t&s box, but that was removed and very well plated over during it's only repaint circa 1997. The only flaw in the body work is that the trim covering it is all wavy, but the body is straight underneath. I would, however, like to restore this at some point, and that would include the t&s box. No small feat, easier to remove than it is to install, once it's plated over. Anyhoo... So, you may see a WTB ad for a tool box section/door/assy, etc in the near future from someone parting a tool box truck. But no rush. Plenty of other stuff to work on in the meantime. PLENTY

The two major detractors for me on this ol truck are the missing toolbox and the non-orig motor (oh yeah, and there are tiny friggin speaker holes in the doors, go figure...) But, I think I can live with it for now - not worth doing a nut and bolt resto, but would like to "re-do" it to make it look somewhat new again, and take it back to what it once was. Might not be worth it w/o the original motor, but if I plan to keep it, who cares! Then again, I've said that before. Anyway, it will be fun.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 04-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
SS Tim

Well you could clamp the top onto the greenie as temp storage and work space. Is the wind blowing in the 50s up there too today?

On the mirror nuts/threads.
There was a whole thread on the threads.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564182

But to the bottom line.

"Did some flipping through my catalogs and a lot more through the GM parts Wiki.
The original nut was P/N 331545
It was superseded by P/N 14016610 (3/8-20 LOW CROWN)
Unfortunately it is listed as discontinued.
But the thread is listed as 3/8-20 not the more typical 3/8-16 UNC or 3/8-24 UNF threads..."
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
jocko

yep, recall that thread and that they were no longer available. not sure that size is correct, it's definitely doesn't seem to be a fine thread. the coarse stuff I had laying around didn't really work either (nor did the fine) - only the original acorns from some other mirrors I had would "kinda" go on there. Really odd that the extensions would have a different size stud (but they were integral to the extension also, and original - and I had boxes o nuts that fit the extensions). But the stud is integral to the mirror arm, so it is original also. The plot thickens, but they are on there solidly now. But, I may at least pick up one that I know is 3/8-20 and see how it seems to fit - my recollection was that it was a no go because of the very low thread count of the studs.

Not 50 mph yet (winds), but supposed to be coming this evening and in the 40-50 mph range til at least monday night. normal ops around here. the cap is already listed on the pennysaver! http://www.pennysaverusa.com/classif...-67166349.html and the parts board http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=575660. The 71 cheyenne super may not be far behind it..

Last edited by jocko; 04-14-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #32
SS Tim

If you find something different on the threads add it to the mirror thread. Here it is down to 1/2 mile visibility in blowing sand.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Great looking truck! I'd love to have that as a DD!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
Greenlee

Sweet truck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
Mayo
Cool Truck

Nice find
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
If you find something different on the threads add it to the mirror thread. Here it is down to 1/2 mile visibility in blowing sand.
will do. wow, that's pretty bad - we're currently at a 30 sustained/gusts to 40. it's like walking outside into a blow dryer + sand blaster. Ha.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
leddzepp

Very nice truck Mark!
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #38
jocko

thanks Scott. I've still got to get your old green door on the 71, been foolin around with a major brake rebuild forever, but, that is the next project.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #39
longhorn70gmc

Hello Jocko,
Very Nice, very nice indeed. The truck looks really nice; can't wait to see you driving around in it enjoying it. I am going to dive back into the GMC here soon myself. You can never have too many of these great trucks and yes, it is a sickness especially when you decorate your garage with their hubcaps all the way around it. You should take a picture of the trucks pointing nose to nose about a foot or two apart and take a panoramic shot; blow up and put it on the garage wall as decoration. That would look killer!! Nice Buy!!
R/
Billy

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote