The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
ChadW

Brake caliper/hose connection confusion

I am having a terrible time finding brake hoses (flex) that will work with my setup and be long enough bagged c10 with dropmember..Im running the standard D52 single piston GM caliper..Im confused on what the banjo fitting shape should be/has to be on the flex hose i get..by the looks of my caliper, I have to have the round fitting, not the square or block style...correct?

I bought some 16" universal SS lines and they were no where near long enough do to how they have to route off the caliper. Seen a napa part number 36760 which is a 20" line for a chevy c10 but has a square banjo fitting... any help appreciated...

Here is the napa line https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBQ3...cleAddPDP=true

Here is my caliper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xc2uk5ht5...iper.jpg?raw=1
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Brake caliper/hose connection confusion

The square fitting will fit that caliper. Not sure that hose with the bent hard line at the caliper end is going to work well. You have to check clearances with the wheels turned in all direction AND all up and down movement. You don't want it rubbing anywhere!

When I did my conversion on my panel, I used factory '73+ style but redid the frame lines to put them on the front of the crossmember, like they were for those years. Made a bracket to go from hard to flex lines and routed them from the front to the rear, connecting to the caliper. No issues with any clearance.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
The square fitting will fit that caliper. Not sure that hose with the bent hard line at the caliper end is going to work well. You have to check clearances with the wheels turned in all direction AND all up and down movement. You don't want it rubbing anywhere!

When I did my conversion on my panel, I used factory '73+ style but redid the frame lines to put them on the front of the crossmember, like they were for those years. Made a bracket to go from hard to flex lines and routed them from the front to the rear, connecting to the caliper. No issues with any clearance.
its odd the way the hose cutout on those calipers are..it puts the hose running towards the rotor and then they have to make a 180* turn with the hose to head back towards the frame.. im planning to do the same and connect to hardline that i will run on the rear side of the crossmember

Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

I used a set from POL they have various lengths, Since your using a Drop Member it may change the hose configuration. I would use a wire or similar to use as a mock up hose to ensure you get the correct length. I never did take a picture of the hose attached to the caliper, but my 'roller' wheels ares 15" and they clear alright lock to lock.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I used a set from POL they have various lengths, Since your using a Drop Member it may change the hose configuration. I would use a wire or similar to use as a mock up hose to ensure you get the correct length. I never did take a picture of the hose attached to the caliper, but my 'roller' wheels ares 15" and they clear alright lock to lock.
see what i mean by the angle of the line if i use hoses like what you posted...It seems opposite of how it should go to me..thats why i was looking for hoses wtih the bend at the end...Id have to immediately bend the hose you listed up and around back towards the frame...seems like the hose should come out of the other side of the caliper...
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
The Rocknrod

I see what you mean, however even a 15" tire wheel combo didnt rub on mine. You could dremel out another opening in the skirt around the hole, maybe if it bothers you.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
ChadW

Quote:
I see what you mean, however even a 15" tire wheel combo didnt rub on mine. You could dremel out another opening in the skirt around the hole, maybe if it bothers you.
so your line loops up and around like i was saying? My first time doing brake lines so im not sure what the "proper" way is...
Old 08-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

Here is a sideways picture looking from the front back.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=13
I fixed it.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
ChadW

Quote:
Here is a sideways picture looking from the front back.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=13
I fixed it.
good pic...so were does your hardline connect in..under upper control arm? above frame or below?
Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

Stock brake line bracket located at arrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
ChadW

Quote:
Stock brake line bracket located at arrow.
Ok..I think thats my issue with why i was thinking i needed such a long flex line...I was going to run the flex line all the way to the underside or topside fo the frame...If i ran the hard line out to the edge of my bag bracket similar to where your arrow is located, id be able to run a much shorter flex hose..
Old 08-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadW View Post
Ok..I think thats my issue with why i was thinking i needed such a long flex line...I was going to run the flex line all the way to the underside or topside fo the frame...If i ran the hard line out to the edge of my bag bracket similar to where your arrow is located, id be able to run a much shorter flex hose..
And for factory disc brakes, that tab is at the front of the spring pocket. Drums were at the rear. Soft lines route better when coming from the front. Less issues with wheel and suspension movement.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
The Rocknrod

That's a good point chevy mike. The old 64's didnt have factory disc so I just used the factory brake line tab on the frame. I didnt think about relocating it before I got the frame powder-coated. It works no binding or clearance issues on mine, but if it were in the front it would work even better.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
ChadW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
And for factory disc brakes, that tab is at the front of the spring pocket. Drums were at the rear. Soft lines route better when coming from the front. Less issues with wheel and suspension movement.

I'll have a power rack and steering linkage etc on the front of my crossmember..I was going to run mine on the backside of the corssmember...Ill be sure to check out both places to see what will work out best..