The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
chevybill

Talking Behind the scene's with the big time car builders.

Hey guys, last night there was a new episode of rides on TLC, Chip Foose was designing a customized caddy XLR. Chip introduces his new paint guy and it is Charlie, formerly of Boyds shop. Then later in the show, a scene shows Charlie prepping the car for paint and Andrew (bettle bailey) formerly of Boyds as well assisting Charlie. I guess Charlie got tired of painting all night and going to boot camp training for "motivation to be a team player". I hope they both got nice fat raises to work for Chip.

Chip used to work for Body as well. It is being reported on a vette board that boyd's is shut down now for misrepresenting cars when setting up a title for the car. Don't know if this is actually true?

Boyd's formerly employees are going to surpass his own accomplishments.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
badone07
Project 2 Resume

I can't remember his name but the younger kid who was also in Boyd's paint shop was also there. He was on other AHR episodes. He was the one who wanted to leave early for a hockey game and Charlie made him stay to clean and sweep the shop. Looks like Boyd lost 3 from the paint shop.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
paintpyro

Standard operating procedures for Boyd.
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Take a look at this post. This will give you more info-Link
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
67ChevyC10Stepside

chip and charlie have a nice laugh about being prepared and planning ahead lol
Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Quote:
Boyd's formerly employees are going to surpass his own accomplishments.
That is exactly right. I really wished boyd hadn't fired Blue Bear, because that kid has some major talent. He just needs to get it through his hard head, that everytime he builds a car, he needs a set plan... If he could only do that we may be hearing about Blue Bear's Rods instead of Coddington's...
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Staceydude

I just did not see that major talent you are talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevjayfsd
That is exactly right. I really wished boyd hadn't fired Blue Bear, because that kid has some major talent. He just needs to get it through his hard head, that everytime he builds a car, he needs a set plan... If he could only do that we may be hearing about Blue Bear's Rods instead of Coddington's...
Not tryin to argue with you Chevy jay but here is my opinion on bluebear...and the show...

Like I said in another post. I love the cars shows. I do not watch much tv and at least when I do I like to see people build cars. I do not care if it is pimp my ride to the show rides... I just love seeing someone who does not have alot of dough get some cool stuff done to thier car whether or not I think it looks cool or not.

Om Bluebear...

I am not saying the kid was not somewhat talented... But really. Where is all that major talent??? How can you say he was talented... only thing I ever saw him do on that show is bolt stuff on... someone else is always doing the major work.

You could take 100 young men who love working on cars give them the same opportunity and get twice the work without the attitude from a majority of them IMHO.

I would have fired his ass a long long time ago...

My reasoning...

1) Disrespectful...

Not only to the owner of the shop... but more importantly to the people he worked with and the vendors who delivered parts. If I was that one dude who got fired because of bluebears smartass I would take all the show tapes to a lawyer and make a mint off boyds for harrasment etc in the work environment.

2) The kid is a dumbass....

Face it.... you are given the opportunity to build a hotrod for free... You can not curb your bullheaded attitude for one or two minor details... like boxing the frame takes away from your project that is so disorganized already it would not matter.

3) Easily replaceable....

I could interview 10 kids here in Dallas and find a replacement for that bluebear in about two days... with more talent and less attitude who would get the job done and not stir the pot all the time.

I work in aviation and I also love to joke around at work when there is nothing going on. However when the work is there you have to be all business. The attitude Bluebear gave towards his fellow workers and to vendors delivering parts was totally unacceptable. In fact I would have to say that he is lucky he did not get an ass kickin more that once. In one show I saw he treated some kid delivering parts like an ass. Calling him names under his breath and then saying he was just kidding. I don't care what kind of talent you have you do not treat people that way especially those visiting your shop.

In my eyes there is alot more to talent that what he provided on the show...

Someone please list the amazing talent that kid provided to the shop???

What did he do that was so amazing?

Regards,

Stacey
Staceydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Be it entertainment or not, what are these shows showing young people? How to be an ass at work and its OK? I try to look past all the "entertainment" BS and look at the car's. After seeing Boyd's show I would have serious concerns about some of the work done there. Blue Butt would have been out the door after the 1st episode.
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #9
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Good Point StaceyDude.... Anyone is replaceble...

What do ya'll think of Mike? (i think is his name) he's the guy who has basically taken over the Rat Rod project. He's the one who doesne't really move his lips when he talks??

What are ya'lls opinions on him?? I have never seen him argue with Boyd, he always gets done what he is told... What do ya'll think?
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
StingRay

FYI Mike doesn't move his lips because he was with Boyd on a test run in one of their cars and they had a major accident. Mike was severely injured and his face smashed up badly. That kid is a freakin genius. He whips up cnc parts like he's makin' cookies.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #11
Mike76251

Mike said on one of the shows (alumatub2) that he was at the Saltflats testing/playing with a car (probably a roll-bar-less roadster) and it flipped on him. Boyd's son(?) was with him. He lost half his face in that wreck.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #12
724wdcopper
graphic designer

yeah, it was boyds son. if i am not mistaken, he was killed. mike knows what he's doing and seems to be a pretty decent guy. i appreciate the fact that he does tell boyd what he thinks, like when boyd had roy weld up part of the rear windows on his hot rod. that car is not my taste, and only seems to be boyds. even roy hates it! i like roy, that guy seems like the kinda guy who has seen it all and is not impressed. i also think the big,bushy mustache guy is pretty funny.
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:05 PM   #13
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Man, I didn't know that's how it happened.. I knew it was not normal, but thought it may have been some kind of deformation from birth or something...

He is a pretty cool kid tho and as said before, a genious on CAD and CNC mills.
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevjayfsd
He is a pretty cool kid tho and as said before, a genious on CAD and CNC mills.
Genius may be stretching it a bit far ... a good CAD system can make most anybody with mediocre computer skills look like a journeyman machinist ...

believe me, it has made me look lots smarter than I really am on numerous occasions.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote