The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Blazed72

'72 Blazer build

Hi everyone, im kinda new to the blazer thing. I have had a few trucks this body style, but have wanted a Blazer since I was a little kid. Well, I finally got one.

Its a 1972 blazer with a 1967 truck front clip and doors. Its a pretty solid start compared to some of the rust buckets I have seen. It has no motor, a 400 trans and a np208 transfer case. Front axle is a dana 44 with all new brakes and 4.88 gears. Rear axle is a 12 bolt with 4.88s and a ARB air locker. The entire body hase spray on bedliner shot on it. It will do for now, but I will strip it off once the the frame and under side of body is rebuilt and painted.

The dash was complete but everything was beat up and pretty ruff. I stripped it down to see what I was working with.

I have a parts truck that will give the Blazer all new dash parts. It looks like someone had a pile of junk parts to put in the Blazer to get it driving. Her is my parts truck.

Blazed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Blazed72

Re: '72 Blazer build

The parts truck is completly stripped and all good parts are in a pile to go in the blazer. Th dash needs to come apart again, but I put all the good parts in so they wont get lost or broke.

The truck had a perfect tilt colum and nice gauges that I took out. I put in the AM radio too. The blazer had a radio delete plate when I got it.

Someone has done the outer rockers from what I can tell, but there are a few rust holes they didnt fix. I will be taking them back off and fixing everything they forgot or were too lazy to fix.

They are small rust holes, but I want it to be perfect.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Blazed72

So now I am just collecting parts.

There is a perfect 67 radiator support with a 4 core radiator in there. I was going to install the A/C in the blazer, but since the top will never be on in the summer id rather sell the complete system at a swap meet and put that money towards the build.
Here she is now.

My plans are to lift the body off the frame and stip off the crud. Im ditching the 12 bolt and putting in a full float 14 bolt. Putting 8 lug outers on the front 44. Rear springs are going to be newer chevy 3/4 ton springs. I have a 350 in my Camaro that will live in the Blazer until I find a 6.0 and a 4L80. I will probably have lots of questions for you guys. Dont worry, im a picture taking fool
Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
jaros44sr

welcome aboard, great looking start! glad you like to take pics, because they are almost required on the blazer/jimmy forum

enjoyed your start of a build and '67 nose looks perfect on there

im subscribed

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Blazed72

Got a little work done today. I pulled off the front clip and took out the trans and transfer case.

Turns out I dont have a NP 208 T-case. Its a NP 241 C. It will be swapped out with something stronger. I can see myself breaking the aluminum case. I knew someone had done some work to the fire wall before, but with the front end off, I figured out what they did. Look at the parts truck in the middle, almost where the air cleaner is near the fire wall....

It looks like they fixed rust in the cowl and didnt put the hump in the fire wall back in.

under the fiberglass and bondo I found this...

While im filling unused holes in the fire wall, I guess I will fix it the right way.
Now I can strip the rust and paint off the fire wall and make it look good before I lift the body off.

Im glad to see not to much rust. Just need to fix the previous owners bad work
Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Blazed72

Ive been messing with the Blazer a little. My main goal right now is to fix the fire wall and get the front sheet metal back on. I wire wheeled the frame bare from the firewall forward and painted it. The frame is in great shape. No pitting. Surface rust came right off

Im slowly collecting little pieces that the Blazer is missing. My gas tank filler was destroyed by someone before me.

I got a really nice one from a member here!

I sold the shaved tailgate and my friend gave me this nice Blazer gate. It has some holes to fill, but it is straight and opens really nice.

I also found the pieces that the hatch latches to. My hatch stays closed now!! I still need the two pieces that attach the top to the body in the rear.

My doors are off a 67 CST truck, so I took off the 67 Custom emblems and put on my CST emblems that came with the blazer.

Yesterday I went to Pick n Pull and got a new rear axle!!

Its a 14 bolt out of a 81 4x4 camper special Chevy. Now the cute little 12 bolt with the ARB will go in my Toyota. Now to find a front 60.....
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Lookin good Blazed! Did you get this off of CL with a title "Hot Rod"? Just curious because I used to see a flat black 67 nosed on CL all the time but haven't in a while. I'm glad you're taking the time to go through everything the right way too! Should be killer once done.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Blazed72

That is the same one. It belonged to a guy I 4wheel with. I traded my smashed up, rolled Toyota/buggy for the Blazer. I knew the Blazer needed work, but I cant own a truck without taking it apart. Toyotas are dime a dozen. When the guy said he wanted to trade after I folded the cab and roll cage flat, I jumped all over it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Nice! I hope one day to have those skills...I need to buy a welder and start practicing. You look like you make good progress real fast...do you have a time frame of when it should be up and running?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Blazed72

Well, I would like to have it together and driving by summer. We will see if time and money lets me. It doesnt help that I have another big project going right now too. Since I got rid of my rock crawler to get the blazer, I am building another. I spend my summer time doing this....

I need to get my other Toyota built or I will be tempted to take the Blazer to the Rubicon. The Blazer should be driving and looking good in a few month. I need to go get about $600 worth of Ruff Stuff Specialties brackets and suspention stuff. Cant wait to get that tax refund!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Wow! Can't believe you even attempted that hill!
You say "tempted"...would the Blazer not be a good candidate for a Rubicon trip? My family used to go 4 wheeling (Old Land Cruisers), but got out of it when I got old enough and switched to hot rods. Too bad...looks like fun!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Blazed72

That hill is winch hill 1 at Fordyce. There was a point where both tires came off the ground. The Blazer would do the Rubicon no problem. I would cry if I bounced the 67 front clip off a rock. Also the rockers are perfect. I would have to baby her into camp. Smashing sheetmetal is best left for the Toyotas. Im looking at a pretty beat up 72 blazer right now. Its $1000, so if I can get it I am going to build that into a rock crawler. I want one to wheel and one to cruise!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Ahh! I get it! Sad to put this info about me up on the web, but the closest I get to 4x4 is Xtreme 4x4 on the power block...lol I really enjoy watching the fab work on that show though.

What's the wheel/tire combo gonna be for this "cruiser"?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Blazed72

The host of that show is a tard. I have met him. The things I could do with his tools though!!! It has 35's with 15x10 now, but those will go on the Toyota with the 6 lug axles from the Blazer. I have some nice aluminum 16.5x10 8 lug rims. Not sure what tires yet. Something in the 36"-37" range
'72 Blazer CST
'78 Camaro Z28
'97 S10
'05 Dodge CTD
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
Blazed72

I went ahead and stripped out the rest of the interior and windshield to get started on the fire wall repair. I was expecting to see rust under the rubber seal, but there was none.

I noticed I need to take off the new outer rockers that someone put on. The inners are dust. I cant wait to see what else is rotted out in there.

I scored some parts off craigslist yesterday. All I needed was the gravel pan for my 67 front end. All the ones I find at the wrecking yards are beat up or rusted. I got it for $10. I couldnt resist bringing home some other 67 parts.
Sandblasted hood, $40

Cowl panel with no antena hole, $10 Parking lights, $10

67 radiator support with no rust, $20 Gravel pan-the last part I needed for my front end, $10
'72 Blazer CST
'78 Camaro Z28
'97 S10
'05 Dodge CTD
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
Blazed72

Picked up another pile of parts.
I now have a front Dana 60. Its from a dually truck, so I will have to swap out the hubs for single wheel.

Also got some rear springs from a '88 3/4 ton truck.

I have front and rear seats that need recovered.

I bought a pretty rough parts blazer that I got almost all the blazer stuff I was missing. Stuff like doors, top parts, hatch parts, filler neck cover, shims in door jam. I am using the dash out of it and using the firewall to patch mine.

'72 Blazer CST
'78 Camaro Z28
'97 S10
'05 Dodge CTD
Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #17
Blazed72

Here she is today. I put an extra 72 clip on just to make it look more complete. The 67 clip is safe in my barn for now.
I will continue to collect parts. I will be taking a break from the blazer to put the 1/2 ton Blazer axles under my toyota and then sell the toyota. That will fund the motor, rims & tires and get the one tons under the blazer. I will check back in when I get more parts.
'72 Blazer CST
'78 Camaro Z28
'97 S10
'05 Dodge CTD
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #18
67swb72klb

nice project it should be bullet proof