The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Gyawo

S10 diesel

I am looking to start amassing things I need to swap a Cummins 4BT into my 1995 S10. Just wondering if anyone else has done this before or if anyone had any suggestions as to what I need or should look out for.

Thanks,
G
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Re: S10 diesel

Even though it is a 4cyl, it is still a chunk of a motor. Probably have to beef up the frame and suspension. Might want to do that anyway because of the increased torque. If you can find an old bread truck w/ a 4bt, you can get the transmission adapter and stay with the Chevrolet bell housing pattern. Some of those old bread trucks used 4bts with turbo 400 transmissions.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Tink

I've seen one before... or was that a duramax? Gonna have to do some searching.

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Gyawo

I plan on doing air bags in the front I think, either that or swap out the 1/2 ton for 3/4 coils in order to be cheap. My truck is a stick, so I need to track down an NV4500 actually. Plan on just getting a drive shaft made up for it and then keeping my 3.73's in the back until they blow up and then get something a little beefier for the torque.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
BarryB

This got me thinking, My dad has a Izusu diesel from I believe an Izusu pup. My S10 has the 2.8 which is an izusu motor. Hopeing to see how things bolt up.. If it works out I'm considering maybe putting a small turbo on it. Or just have some fun with it.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Gyawo

Starting to consider a mercedes turbo diesel. Can't really find a 4bt easily where I live. The mercedes OM617 is supposed to be pretty bullit proof, 5cyl 3.0L, there is a guy on 4bt swaps that has put one in a 4runner.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Tink

What size was the Isuzu diesel?

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Gyawo

The Brazilian S10's came with a 2.8L Isuzu diesel.

Quote:
This got me thinking, My dad has a Izusu diesel from I believe an Izusu pup. My S10 has the 2.8 which is an izusu motor. Hopeing to see how things bolt up.. If it works out I'm considering maybe putting a small turbo on it. Or just have some fun with it.
Worth a shot, may be different since one is a gas jockey and the other an oil burner. If it wasn't a trubo'd engine from factory I would be cautious plumbing in a turbo, at least just go with a smaller one. I am finding that the mercedes that were N/A from factory do not have as beefy internals as the ones that came with a turbo.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Rodent

Just picked this up not too long ago. Factory Isuzu 2.2 Diesel S10.

Same motor was in Luv's and Isuzu Pups as well. You can convert any S10 that had a 2.8/2.5 if you can find the right bellhousing or come up with an adapter.
Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
BarryB

I canned the idea of putting the isuzu diesel in my S10. I got to looking at it, even though it was a running motor, at some point it had thrown a rod, and the block was welded back together. So that scares me since I would have been wanting to somehow install a small turbo on it.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

Two rules in life.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Rodent

From what I understand the turbo 2.2 Isuzus were beefed up beyond belief to live with what little boost was put through them. And they still randomly blow up. People still turbo them, but its just not worth the effort in my opinion.

The N/A motors are supposed to be pretty tough as long as you leave them stock and do basic up keep and don't beat on them too hard.
Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #12
Gyawo

Nice find Rodent. I am gearing towards the mercedes 5 cyl for my s10. Depending on size and the fact that I may have a line on a really cheap 4 cyl turbo will be the only things that make me change my mind. I plan on making an adapter from a mercedes bellhousing to my chevy T5, the mercedes trannies were not that good for gearing.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

You need to get an Isuzu 2.8 turbo diesel as found in UK MK1 Troopers and Vauxhall Fronteras (the frontera one is slightly more powerful with bigger injectors and an intercooler). I had an old Trooper and the engines are great, well capable of 300K miles if given regular oilchanges, they're no slouch either especially in intercooled form. They'd certainly be able of hauling an s10 around in a sprightly fashion and I was getting around 30mpg from mine. The later 3.1's went from direct injection to indirect and are quieter and more powerful but suck more diesel, both can be run on bio diesel or even a mix of diesel and straight waste veg oil.

This is the shape I mean (my old trooper working for its living)

The 3.1's were found in the later shape ones like my second one.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Gyawo

I'd be a little hard pressed to find an Isuzu diesel where I live. They aren't very common vehicles even in a gasser. Small displacement diesels are not a very huge thing, everyone here has the big oil burners, which is why I am gearing towards the mercedes diesel. There were tons of them built, there were a couple of them known as million milers and part support is still pretty decent. It would be nice to find an Isuzu diesel because the chance of it mating up to my GM transmission would probably be better, or at least the adapter would be nicer, but I may have better luck buying lotto tickets.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
BarryB

It would definitely be cool to but a diesel into a S10. If i could find a totaled out diesel trooper for cheap I'd go that route, but diesels like that are few and far between in the states.
I've decided to go a stock 350 swap, and keep it TBI and overdrive trans. I had a full size with the same setup got close to 20 mpg. I hoping to get at least that much if not better in an S10 since it weighs porbably half what the FS did.

Two rules in life.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Gyawo

I considered putting a small block into it. my boss put a 305 into a '96 I think it was, with a TH350, one of our customers that came in recently actually bought it from the guy who bought it form my boss, had nothing but good things to say about it. I like being different though, and the thought of a little s10 puffing out some black smoke from the rear end and lining up in the diesel line at the gas station appeals to me. From the people I have talked to that I respect their opinion I hvae decided to stick with a mercedes diesel. Hopefully for an OM617, but may have to settle for one of the 4 cyl ones, depends.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

There's a guy next to me at Carlisle Trucks in August who specializes in swapping (and making the adapters) that Mercedes diesel into Jeeps. He had lots of conversations with various guys with truck businesses about prototyping other adapters last year...the first year he set up there. I'm curious to see where things went since last year. The Jeeps get 24 mpg.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Nothinghead

No idea if it would work at all, but what about a VW TDI? Probably would be quite a bit of fab eh?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
grayharville
^^who I am^^ what I say>

The OM617 would be slick, I have wanted to do this swap for awhile, with a 5 speed in a ex cab swb square body s10, I think that would be the $h!t!!! Especially puffing out a little smoke from some mini stacks and grabbing gears in a little mini diesel!

man... I need to find a wrecked mercedes

East Tx Squares
grayharville is offline   Reply With Quote