The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
DT1

Time for Door Weather Strip

So I'm Finishing up on the interior on the 72 and the time has come to get door weather strip. I've read a lot on the subject and I'm still a bit confused. Should I get Precision glue-on or press on. Or maybe I should try Dodge Dakota or Honda Civic. I read that I could get Dodge Dakota strip from Rock Auto but is it the same as the original stuff. So Confused... Any help??
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Time for Door Weather Strip

I’ve tried glue on and push on and my next purchase will be Dakota in the hopes that I don’t have to do a high flying ninja kick to get my doors shut all the way, if f that helps your decision process . It’s kinda maddening. If new trucks came from the factory in 72 with these issues, nobody would have purchased a 73 and we’d all be driving Fords.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Sweeet67

I bought a pair of press on from classic heartbeat. After sitting in the sun over the summer, I love how they seal and I will buy another set soon for my other project.
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeet67 View Post
I bought a pair of press on from classic heartbeat. After sitting in the sun over the summer, I love how they seal and I will buy another set soon for my other project.
Do the doors shut properly?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
1969 Project

I just replaced mine with the Precision push on and I could not get my doors to shut properly. I came to the conclusion that it's due to the bottom of the weatherstrip. I cute them for now so I don't break something due to having to slam the doors to get them to shut. I am currently looking for a better solution. I have also done some research on here and someone had mentioned that certain year Honda weatherstrip works well.
1969 Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
leddzepp

Every truck will be different. This has to be the most common subject that comes up here, by FAR. Personally, I’ve had good luck with used Dakota seals out of a junkyard. They are broken in and work well, doors are not too difficult to shut, which seems to be th biggest complaint.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Devil Pup

Im also running a used set from the junkyard out of a dodge dakota. They seem to be doing just fine and my doors close easy. takes a good firm shut but no slamming by any means.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Sweeet67

On my truck one door closes slightly better than the other. I’m sure it’s just the way it’s aligned. I’ve had so much air leaking for so long, I’m just glad to be able to hear myself think while driving. I will admit I have to close the door a bit harder, but there is no slamming going on. Like I said, after being out for the summer with the doors closed, it’s getting even better.
All that said, I’m sure a used set from the junkyard will be a lot less money. Do the dodge ones press on? It took me forever to get the old glue off.
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
El Dorado Jim

I picked up a set from a wrecking yard from a dodge dakota, they work great, had to adjust the door latch on the passenger side so door would lock...$5.00 each used but in perfect shape...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
DT1

Has anyone tried a set of new 1994 (Or around there) NEW weather strip from, say Rock Auto?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

Glue in gaskets were good enough for GM when these trucks were new ,But now their not good enough to use today ? Seems like it maybe a lack of user install knowledge more so than an inefficient gasket that has been used for 50+ years ??
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
Dustytrix

I bought a set of the dakota weather strips from Rock auto. They may work great used but not even close when new. They fit great but would not let me close either side no matter what I tried. I ended up getting the press on with formed corner from vendor here. Sorry I don,t remember brand or vendor, they will close but still hard on pass side.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Glue in gaskets were good enough for GM when these trucks were new ,But now their not good enough to use today ? Seems like it maybe a lack of user install knowledge more so than an inefficient gasket that has been used for 50+ years ??
It might be because most glue in gaskets, door handel gaskets, lock cylinder gaskets, floor mats, windshield gaskets, etc. for these trucks aren't made by GM anymore. It has been my experience that most rubber that is obtained from the vast majority of "Classic" truck web sites is Far Far Far more inferior than OEM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #14
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
the push on ones are so much better and stay on! the glue on ones are crap.just because they were used originally doesnt make them good.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
DT1

I decided to try to use my old seals. They looked pretty nice after a good clean up. After fitting the driver side one I noticed about a foot of it was missing so I had to abort. I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Precision push on seals. I installed one last night and the door is all but impossible to close (High flying Ninja kick comes to mind). Tonight I'm going to try using a heat gun on the lower front portion of that seal and close the door to see if it sets at all. I'm not the quitting type, so I'll repeat over and over until I flame the new paint right off the rocker panel.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #16
RodnRudy

I used the new push on seals from precision and had trouble closing the doors also. I ended up having to move the doors out just a tad on the front hinges as the door was really tight against the gasket there. That helped a bunch. Also I moved the striker out a bit.
One other thing, the push on part of the seals were a little wide and didn't want to stay gripped to the pinch weld. I solved that by squeezing them together a little bit.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #17
jocko

Quote:
Perhaps true if only one person ever complained about this. But, considering, as Scott mentioned, that this is probably the most common thread topic, then that would mean a whole lot of us appear to be idiots. GM truck doors would shut just fine when new in 72, so I’m leaning toward the “GM doesn’t make them anymore and the aftermarket stuff sucks” theory as was mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustytrix View Post
I bought a set of the dakota weather strips from Rock auto. They may work great used but not even close when new. They fit great but would not let me close either side no matter what I tried. I ended up getting the press on with formed corner from vendor here. Sorry I don,t remember brand or vendor, they will close but still hard on pass side.
THAT is the one question I’ve had on this subj for years - whether NEW Dakota seals work well or not. Thank you for sharing. Sorry yours didn’t work out. Can you order some new Honda seals and let us know how they work?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #18
beaterku

I installed a set of push on Precision seals back when Wes first started selling them. Install was a breeze and the doors shut fine. I adjusted the doors and latch plate a smidge and never looked back. The seals that were in my truck were cobbled together and falling apart. I'd buy the push on seals again in a heartbeat.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
Jcfcamaro

What would be the correct gap before you install the seals. Between door and the flange the seal goes on.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
CUSTOM/10

I have tried both of the Precision push-on seals ( Mitered and Non-mitered ) and had to slam the doors with both, the mitered ones were worse than the non-mitered. So my next try will either be the original glue on or possibly try the Honda seals.

As others have mentioned every truck can be different. I'm sure if done correctly the Precision push-on seals could be made to work with proper adjustment, but in my case I don't want to mess with the adjustment because the alinement is very nice and the truck was recently painted.

Just my experience & my 2 cents.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
1968aj

I have tried every option you mentioned. the push on precision work the best for me. sometimes new methods work better.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Push on seals made by Precision. Installed them in my 1972 GMC. Fit and work perfectly!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote