The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
kileyb

Cab Mount Blues

I purchase new rubber cab mounts. The back of the cab used to sit about 3/4' to an inch lower (according to the trim) than the bed. Now it's about that much higher. Seems like a good problem to have until you go to torque the bolts and they seem to screw in so far that they start popping. In my mind I am imagining that I've run out of threads on the bolt. I can't get anywhere near torque specs mentioned in previous threads...not even to 20lbs.

Side note I had to get creative installing the drivers side front cab mount. It was misaligned to the frame by about a half inch. Used a tow strap and another vehicle to pull it enough to line things up and bolt it down.

this all started because my front tires were rubbing after a 2.5 in" spindle drop so I decided to replace the mounts before springing for new wheels with different offset.

Anyone with experience on these rear mounts not being able to be torqued down correctly? I sure hope I didn't strip out the threads in the cab.

Last edited by kileyb; 10-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
kileyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
weq92f

Re: Can Mount Blues

Hmmm... Threads in the cab? You must have nuts welded to the cab floor then as I don't think there are threads there. The mounts on LMC show bolts with nuts, free nuts.

Anyway, just be sure you're using the correct mount in the correct location and are installing them properly. Also, if there are shims in place for the old mounts, you may not need them for the new mounts so take them out.

I've read on here that some new mounts will cause the cab to be low rather than high, so check your parts. Compare old and new spacer lengths and just overall to make sure they're close to what came out. You may also want to pull the stuff out of the cab to ensure something isn't interfering with your bolt coming in from the bottom there in the rear.

Hth,

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
kileyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Hmmm... Threads in the cab? You must have nuts welded to the cab floor then as I don't think there are threads there. The mounts on LMC show bolts with nuts, free nuts.

Anyway, just be sure you're using the correct mount in the correct location and are installing them properly. Also, if there are shims in place for the old mounts, you may not need them for the new mounts so take them out.

I've read on here that some new mounts will cause the cab to be low rather than high, so check your parts. Compare old and new spacer lengths and just overall to make sure they're close to what came out. You may also want to pull the stuff out of the cab to ensure something isn't interfering with your bolt coming in from the bottom there in the rear.
Maybe so. I guess I'll have to pull the bench seat at the very least. They thread in but never pull very tight. The new kit didn't include new nuts for the rear cab mounts...just the front ones.

I believe I got them all in the right spot. The rear cab mounts are taller than the front. The kit I ordered was supposed to include the Radiator support mounts too, they were missing when shipped so waiting to hear back from the vendor about getting them. I don't think I got the mounts reversed...Also didn't use any shims from the old stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

The rear has a captured nut which is located under the fuel tank. Did you install the tubular spacer in the rear mount? The spacer allows you to torque the mount, it’s a 1/2” bolt if I remember right so the torque can’t be Too much....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
kileyb

Re: Cab Mount Blues

Yessir I put the spacer in. Sounds like I need to to a visual inspection of the nut.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyb View Post
Yessir I put the spacer in. Sounds like I need to to a visual inspection of the nut.
I bet your nut is spinning. On mine, the spacer in the front was too short and so the thing would not reach a solid spot to "torque" the bolt. This could be your issue as well I suppose.

Gotta have a look at the top side.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #7
un4gvn!

Watch out for some of the kits. Some idiot thinks a lot of trucks use the same hard ware up through the years into the 80's and put metric bolts in all the kits.

Last edited by un4gvn!; 10-27-2017 at 01:40 AM. Reason: missed place words
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I bet your nut is spinning. On mine, the spacer in the front was too short and so the thing would not reach a solid spot to "torque" the bolt. This could be your issue as well I suppose.

Gotta have a look at the top side.

-klb
Agreed on this post...the spacers I received were too short on the cab mounts and too long or too short on the radiator support too. I got that set of mounts from gmcpauls, nice mounts and good hardware. Mounts were almost exact replacements but the hardware was slightly different and the spacers were wrong lengths.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #9
kileyb

Looks like the bolt for the rear mounts is about a half inch longer than the original and has about a half inch less threads. The neck of the bolt is running up to the nut before I can get anywhere near torque specs. The nut seems to be ok.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 AM   #10
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileyb View Post
Looks like the bolt for the rear mounts is about a half inch longer than the original and has about a half inch less threads. The neck of the bolt is running up to the nut before I can get anywhere near torque specs. The nut seems to be ok.
So how do you like the reproduction parts....that's ridiculous!