The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
68jimmy

properly installing new torque converter

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I was unable to locate any previous threads. I have a new torque converter and a freshly rebuilt th350 that I will hopefully install over the weekend. What is the proper method of installing the converter? I've read from other discussions that it must be installed correctly or the pump will be damaged... Do I need to put trans fluid in the converter prior to install? Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
68jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

you should dump a quart of fluid in the converter so it doesnt startup dry. as far as install,silde it on & rotate it till you feel it set in place a couple times(once on the spline, & once on the pump tangs). if in doubt, lay a straight edge across the front of the trans, & measure how far the converter "lugs" are from the front of the trans case....if memory is with me, it should be about 1 1/4". when you set the trans & converter in place, you should have 3/16-1/4" clearance tween the flexplate, & the mounting lugs on the verter.....if you have to force it to bolt up, the converter is not seated into the pump(stop & fix that problem right away!). best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you don't have it in the pump lugs properly the transmission won't go on the engine. It will hold the bellhousing away from the block. When it fits right, you should have to push the converter toward the flexplate before bolting them together.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

If properly aligned, the torque converter will alomost push completely against the tranny. I'd put at least 2 quarts or fluid in before installing. Keep newspaper under it in case you spill a little fluid out of the converter when you tip it upright.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

you should not be able to fit your fingers between bottom of verter & front of casting. first put 2 Q of fluid in & slowly stand upright
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:29 AM   #6
68jimmy

Thanks for all the great information! Any tips on a brand of ATF?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you have the cash, go with mobile one. Way better than any 'normal' ATF, and costs quite a bit less than the other full synthetics.
The Synthetic fluid is not only smoother, (for lack of better terms) but it helps tremendously with controlling the temperature in the tranny, which is the #1 killer of an automatic.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #8
68jimmy

Thats all I needed!

thanks again...
Old 05-15-2004, 11:45 AM   #9
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
If you have the cash, go with mobile one. Way better than any 'normal' ATF, and costs quite a bit less than the other full synthetics.
The Synthetic fluid is not only smoother, (for lack of better terms) but it helps tremendously with controlling the temperature in the tranny, which is the #1 killer of an automatic.
DON'T USE ANY TYPE OF SYNTHETIC TRANNY FLUID FOR THE FIRST 500 MILES OR DURING THE BREAK IN PERIOD. I'VE PUT IN A RASH OF TRANNYS LATELY (FOR OTHER PEOPLE) & EVERY TRANS REBUILDER OR NEW MANUFACTURER I'VE DEALT WITH STRESS THE FACT THAT IF SYNTHETIC FLUID IS USED DURING THE BREAKIN PERIOD WILL VOID THE WARRENTY. ANDYS RIGHT ABOUT THE HEAT BEING A TRANNYS WORST ENIMY THOUGH. A TRANS. TEMP. GAGE IS A WORTHWILE INVESTMENT, & I PUT ONE IN EVERY ONE OF MY TRUCKS THAT I RUN AN AUTOMATIC IN. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

John, thanks. I have honestly never heard that one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:09 AM   #11
jescates

Never heard that either about voiding the warranty. When I put the last trany in, I dumped a couple of quarts of synthetic in. Haven't had a problem as of yet. Fingers crossed.
2013 Buick Enclave
jescates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:36 AM   #12
Blue Beard

Where does the temp gauge hook into the tranny..?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I have never heard that about Auto transmissions either. The problem I have with that idea is....... how are you supposed to change it? You cannot mix synthetics with normal fluids. Once your torque converter is filled with normal ATF you really have to remove it from the truck to drain it. You can't get even close to all of the fluid from the transmission from the pan.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #14
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beard
Where does the temp gauge hook into the tranny..?
I WELD A BUNG (OR FITTING) THAT A TRANS TEMP. SENDING UNIT WILL SCREW THRU, RIGHT IN THE PAN. IF YOUR TRANS. TEMP. GETS OVER 195 DEG. IT'S TIME TO GET CONCERNED. IF IT GETS OVER 225 DEG.S .... IT'S TIME TO PULL OVER & LET IT COOL OFF. A GOOD TRANNY COOLER (NOT ONE OF THE CHEAP $29 PEP BOYS MODELS) IS EXCELLANT INSURANCE AGAINST TRANNY FAILURE. ( I JUST REPLACED A TRANNY IN A 94 2WD S15 JIMMY A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. $1280 TO HAVE IT REBUILT & $490 LABOR FOR ME TO R&R IT. SO FOR $1800 I'D SURE TRY TO MAKE IT LAST AS LONG AS I COULD) ALSO... AFTER 500 MILES ON A NEW TRANNY.... CHANGE THE FILTER, & PUT NEW TRANNY FLUID IN THEN. NOWS A GOOD TIME TO PUT IN SYNTHETIC FLUID. DON'T WORRY ABOUT GETTING ALL OF THE DINO TRANS FLUID OUT, AS MOST SYNTHETIC FLUID (AT LEAST RED LINE, B&M TRICK SHIFT, & MOBILE 1 ) IS COMPATABLE WITH NORMAL OLD ATF. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 05-16-2004, 11:50 AM   #15
Class of 69

I drill and tap a 1/8 pipe thread drain plug into one of the three bosses that the converter lugs are welded onto to drain the converter. Use a brass pipe plug, as it is lighter than a steel one, for balance. I learned this from a competent trans man 30 years ago, and he did it to every trans he overhauled. Only takes an extra ten minutes the first time and allows complete changing of the fluids. It's messy to drill it the first time full, but the fluid helps flush the drill chips out, not in. If you drill it dry, fill the flutes of the bit, and tap, with chassis grease to retain the chips on the bit, and hold the converter up, so the chips fall down , not into the converter.

Last edited by Class of 69; 05-16-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Class of 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #16
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class of 69
I drill and tap a 1/8 pipe thread drain plug into one of the three bosses that the converter lugs are welded onto to drain the converter. Use a brass pipe plug, as it is lighter than a steel one, for balance. I learned this from a competent trans man 30 years ago, and he did it to every trans he overhauled. Only takes an extra ten minutes the first time and allows complete changing of the fluids. It's messy to drill it the first time full, but the fluid helps flush the drill chips out, not in. If you drill it dry, fill the flutes of the bit, and tap, with chassis grease to retain the chips on the bit, and hold the converter up, so the chips fall down , not into the converter.
I ALSO UNHOOK A TRANS LINE AT THE RADIATOR, & LET THE TRANNY PUMP PUMP OUT MOST OF THE FLUID. YOU'LL GET OUT BETTER THAN 90% THAT WAY. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH