The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #76
Fat Mike

Re: My 54gmc build

What is the thickness of your fishplates?
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #77
troy54gmc

3/16" plate
troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #78
troy54gmc

Allright i know you guys like pictures. Its been really cold here in Az the last couple of days. not like back east cold but for us desert rats its been cold, low 20's and windy. check out this crop field by my house, i was driving by and couldnt figure out what the white stuff was. They left the sprinklers running and they froze. i couldnt help but take a picture.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #79
troy54gmc

Well ive been really busy lately and havent had alot of time to work on the frame. But i did make a trip to the junkyard and picked up a ford 8.8 rearend out of a 1995 explorer. it has factory limited slip, disc brakes with internal e-brake and a realy cool 2 into 1 e-brake cable setup and it came with 3:73 gears. Its also about 5 inches narrower than the 9" i had planned on useing, so more room for tires. i picked up the whole thing for $110.00 bucks. Anyone else using one of these??? i also picked up some early style rally wheels off of craiglist, got all four including trim rings and caps for $175.00. fronts are 15x7 and rears are 15x9. i lucked out cause i have the 5x4-3/4 lug pattern on the front and the new rear axle has 5x4-1/2 lug pattern. the front wheels had the 4-3/4 pattern and the rear where drilled for both so i totally lucked out. heres a couple of pictures. before and after on the new axle with wire wheel action and wheels.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #80
troy54gmc

got some work done on the frame. drilled some speed holes in the rear part of the frame. also got some cross braces put in and bent the one in front so the drive shaft clears. also found out the new rear axle i pulled from the explorer has one axle shaft and housing longer than the other one. so im goin to have to cut one side and get a matching axle. anyone else run into this problem.. need some feedback from u guys. whata think???
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #81
ratty 46

Looking good ...

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #82
upon1

Truck is looking really good. I have the same rear diff in my truck and the pinion offset is not an issue just make sure the wheels will be centered. If you want to use a gm driveshaft youll need a 3-3130 conversion u-joint and a spicer 2-2-1379 flange.
upon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #83
Rude Dude

Very cool build, did you see Kabwe build he cut the rear a 8.8 rear. By the way I have a home in Glendale Az, trying to make my way back that way. Wife is there for interview for job.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #84
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Looking good.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #85
mooseknuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy54gmc View Post
got some work done on the frame. drilled some speed holes in the rear part of the frame. also got some cross braces put in and bent the one in front so the drive shaft clears. also found out the new rear axle i pulled from the explorer has one axle shaft and housing longer than the other one. so im goin to have to cut one side and get a matching axle. anyone else run into this problem.. need some feedback from u guys. whata think???
I've haerd of guys cutting the long side of the rear end to match the short side's length and getting another axle from the short side.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #86
troy54gmc

Hey thanks guys. thanks for the info on the axle. you guys rock, i can allways count on you for info. Hey Rude dude i use to live in Glendale before i moved to Surprise. ya i have seen kabwes build. i think thats what im goin to do, cut the long side and get a nother short axle from junk yard. that seems to be the easiest route. other wise im goin to have one wheel sticking out farther or the pumpkin offcenter. i changed my mind on the tubing and goin a different route ill post some picts when i get it done. i did put all the sheetmetal on to see how it looked with the new wheels i got and to check how centered the wheels were. here are some picts. it reminds me of frankenstein with all the different colored pieces. whata guys think??? im goin to keep these wheels until i can save $ for some bigger ones. but i really like them.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #87
xpickup

troy54gmc, Your truck looks like it is really coming together. Looks good.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #88
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Man that truck is looking good.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #89
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice, it's really coming together!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #90
yukon ratrod

great build so far! love the over all look of the truck just the way shes sitting. I would imagine before this little project is done that someones going to change their mind on wanting a car. besides its a little known fact, chicks dig pick ups!! trust me I know!! keep up the good work! heres my 48 and a young lady I met who wanted to do a photo shoot and the last ones are my wife, who I actually met driving down the street when she waved me over to check out my truck while I was on vacation in Victoria B.C. 5 weeks later I brought her home! these were shots taken on our trip!
Attached Images

Last edited by yukon ratrod; 03-12-2011 at 01:57 PM.
yukon ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #91
troy54gmc

Thanks guys for the nice comments. that means alot coming from skilled builders on here. Ya yukon rat i hope i can bring my son back from the darkside and back into trucks. If not ill at least make him drive an old muscle car so he appreciates american made history...
Ok has this happened to anyone, I went up to discount tire yesterday and bought some tires for the new wheels, not thinking i left the moon covers on and when they brought the wheels and tires out i noticed that all of my center caps had 3-4 dents in each one. so i went back inside and asked the guy what happened, he then went out to the bay and asked the employee who did the work and he said ya i hit them from the back side with hammer. I couldnt beleive it. The manager was very appolagetic about the whole thing and got on wheels vintique website and ordered me 4 new ones. Very stand up them. Anyway hope to get some more work done this week and ill put up some picts. oh ya im heading to Goodguys Spring Nationals tomorrow in Scottsdale so ill take alot of picts there to.....
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #92
troy54gmc

Oh ya i totally forgot Yukon rat thanks for the pictures of the hot chick and your truck and your new wife is also very nice! (with respect of course) CHICKS DIG TRUCKS
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #93
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

yeah with respect of course.lol

Hey Yukon hows it going? I have not heard from you in a while, hows the wife and new baby?

Troy54GMC,

Once again the truck is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-12-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #94
troy54gmc

hey i said with respect...doesnt that count? Thanks kabwe.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #95
yukon ratrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
yeah with respect of course.lol

Hey Yukon hows it going? I have not heard from you in a while, hows the wife and new baby?

Troy54GMC,

Once again the truck is looking great. Keep up the good work.
wife and baby are great! quit my job to start my own shop in a few months, so tuesdays my last day! pick ups sitting outside, but not for long!
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #96
troy54gmc

Hey now thats a cute kid and the miller hat is a nice touch. I have to give you props for quiting your job and opening your own shop. That takes alot of guts these days with the economy in the dumps. i would love to work on trucks all day and get paid for it. That would be sweet. someday....
Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #97
yukon ratrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy54gmc View Post
Hey now thats a cute kid and the miller hat is a nice touch. I have to give you props for quiting your job and opening your own shop. That takes alot of guts these days with the economy in the dumps. i would love to work on trucks all day and get paid for it. That would be sweet. someday....
so have you any colors in mind for this build yet?? Im working on a 48 right now in the shop and the owner wants to paint it red, which is nice, but these trucks can look soooo good with a little bit of imagination. I have always planned on building a crew cab coe half ton for a family cruiser, but cant find one in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #98
troy54gmc

Ya Yukon i accually wanted to paint it red at first just because that is my favorite color. but i agree it looks to plain if its all just red. i really like candy apple red and black. i would like to incorperate something like that maybe with some flame work or design. i just got home from the Goodguys show in Scottsdale i took this picture of a car that was painted black and candy apple red. those colors look really good together. ill also put a picture of the show, i will have to say im dissapointed at the turnout this year, i know it was sunday but there were barely any trucks there maybe a handfull and the swap meet area usually takes a good 2 hours to walk thru. this year i walked it in 30min. and found nothing to buy. that sucks with $200 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I did get to see the No Limit truck up close, man that thing is nice. oh ya it had a sign on it that said truck race winner.. Congrats to those guys. here are the picts.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #99
troy54gmc

this is last years goodguys show. what a difference.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #100
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon ratrod View Post
wife and baby are great! quit my job to start my own shop in a few months, so tuesdays my last day! pick ups sitting outside, but not for long!
Looks like another little rodder was been added to the world.lol That's great you are starting your own shop. I wish you much success.