The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #1
SCOTI

Questions About A Steering Column Failure

I was getting my dually ('89 CC Squarebody) ready for another round of investigation regarding poor performance (after the recent fuel pump/rubber lines replacement) when it died sitting/blocking the main traffic path in my complex. I was working solo & had to get it out of the lane & into a parking spot which entailed pulling the non-running dually into position. The whole process required turning the steering wheel/moving the truck some/turning the wheel/moving the truck etc...

Well, one of the times that I was turning the wheel, the steering suddenly snapped & felt like it sheared or ripped the splines somewhere internally. The Rag-Joint coupler @ the steering box was replaced a while back w/a u-joint style set-up & it appears fine, so it has me guessing something failed within the column.

It's a tilt column so I know if has the pivot knuckle for the tilt feature.
What else inside the column could shear off? It can still steer (slightly) in the p-lot not (the running engine situation was corrected yesterday) but def is not functional or safe for the roads as it's hit & miss as far as engagement.

I figured I would post this up for some feedback before I tear the column apart to figure out what broke & what parts are needed.

Any insight as to what likely failed?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Re: Questions About A Steering Column Failure

Man I'm with you Scoti, I would think the only thing in there that would break would be the u-joint. Odd that it can still turn somewhat...but I have never been that deep into a tilt before. I always opt and get rebuilt columns from Wayne Wiles, which the one I was running at the time was new.

As you mentioned you don't have a rag joint anymore, and neither do I, and I once had to complete a lap autocrossing without power steering, bit luckily I didn't have a failure like you did.

Anxious to see what the failure was....

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
SCOTI

Interesting fact? The Rag-Joint failed under very similar cimcumstances (having to turn the front wheels to gain better access to the starter when the truck wouldn't start). And that failure was a fairly new/limited miles part from the 'HELP' section @ the parts store.

I guess this thing is testing the strength limits on parts w/the steel wheels & all iron big-block @ the nose.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

Below most of of the guts like turn signal, ignition and such, there are 3(4?) screws that when loose can cause a lot of slop. If those sheered, might cause your problem. Don't know any easy way to check without pulling all the guts.

They may be what attaches the upper shaft to the u-joint. I haven't had to go further then that yet.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #5
SCOTI

Double post deleted.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-14-2023 at 04:25 PM. Reason: doble post
Old 08-14-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Below most of of the guts like turn signal, ignition and such, there are 3(4?) screws that when loose can cause a lot of slop. If those sheered, might cause your problem. Don't know any easy way to check without pulling all the guts.

They may be what attaches the upper shaft to the u-joint. I haven't had to go further then that yet.
Sounds about what I was thinking. I remember having to tighten those bolts on the tilt column for my '90 model/OBS 1/2 ton. The bolts themselves are light duty for sure.

That being said, my tilt didn't have slop so that would suggest the bolts were seated well. Just trying to get ideas. I don't want to take it apart since it's still somewhat moveable in its current state (it needs to be mobile for the locations it's stored). Going to hit up my buddy that has my old '90. He's a GM tech that's done more than a few columns in his years. I'll see what he thinks. I might start looking for a replacement column in the near future.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-15-2023, 09:37 AM   #7
kglowacky

a long shot. maybe when someone upgraded your column to u joints they did not match the correct number of splines on the male and female shaft to u joint, only under extreme pressure would it slip. Or the dia are not the same. as I stated a long shot..
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:19 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
a long shot. maybe when someone upgraded your column to u joints, they did not match the correct number of splines on the male and female shaft to u joint, only under extreme pressure would it slip. Or the dia are not the same. as I stated a long shot..
I did the upgrade.

The Jeep steering shaft swaps are a known candidate/match for GM use from the stuff I looked up. I sure don't recall any issues seating the two different pieces together.

My buddy feels it's likely the plastic packing used @ the pivot-point for the tilt. He said to test the steering & see if it's excess play I was noting or if once I turned the steering wheel enough & the front wheels started turning could I reach full lock @ the wheels w/o issue. I'll do some testing tonight after work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-15-2023, 08:00 PM   #9
kglowacky

has the position of the steering changed. or is it in the same position as before the noise.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:34 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
has the position of the steering changed. or is it in the same position as before the noise.
Hard to tell 100% but guessing it's the same. The wheel moves about 90° before the steering linkage does so it's a tough call.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #11
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Just adding to the ideas of what could be wrong...

What about the splines in the steering wheel hub and shaft? IS the nut under the horn button tight?

Could it be the nut holding the steering wheel?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:35 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Just adding to the ideas of what could be wrong...

What about the splines in the steering wheel hub and shaft? IS the nut under the horn button tight?

Could it be the nut holding the steering wheel?
Popped the horn cap off first thing thinking those splines. For lack of a better description, that's what it felt like to me. Everything looked normal @ that end of business.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-19-2023, 09:37 AM   #13
Axle

There is the collapsable joint in the column, nylon or plastic insert to keep the slop out. Similar to the one you need to melt out of the jeep shaft in order to get it to shorten to fit into the truck.

Take a look at the base of your column where the jeep shaft attaches, is the (column) shaft still fully inserted in the column? If that internal plastic insert is broken it lets the lower (column, not jeep) steering shaft move in/out.

Lower column bearing compromised? Having to manhandle it may have pushed it over the edge. More wobble there = more overall play/wobble when combined with the additional joints in the jeep shaft.
I've also noticed that my jeep shaft has developed play already after two years of daily driving (I'm using an Omix-Ada). Which is a bummer, but still hasn't gotten as bad as the old rag joint. yet.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:16 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
There is the collapsable joint in the column, nylon or plastic insert to keep the slop out. Similar to the one you need to melt out of the jeep shaft in order to get it to shorten to fit into the truck.

Take a look at the base of your column where the jeep shaft attaches, is the (column) shaft still fully inserted in the column? If that internal plastic insert is broken it lets the lower (column, not jeep) steering shaft move in/out.

Lower column bearing compromised? Having to manhandle it may have pushed it over the edge. More wobble there = more overall play/wobble when combined with the additional joints in the jeep shaft.
I've also noticed that my jeep shaft has developed play already after two years of daily driving (I'm using an Omix-Ada). Which is a bummer, but still hasn't gotten as bad as the old rag joint. yet.
Thanks for the suggestions to look at.

I've been hinderd moving forward until I have help turning the wheel so I can see whats happening under the hood. My neighbor said he'll prob be by the shop later today so maybe I can narrow the scope on what gave out.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #15
v30crewcab

most likely the plastic piece in the tilt joint has shattered.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote