The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
curvedglass

Re: 3 speed saginaw with overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Got the cable hooked up today. Now I can have compression braking.
Which cable is that? I bought an O/D trans off ebay and have not installed it yet - hoping this winter. Did your trans have the harness or did you have to make it? Where / how did you mount your kick down switch? any info would be dynamite.

Regards,
Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #27
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvedglass View Post
Which cable is that? I bought an O/D trans off ebay and have not installed it yet - hoping this winter. Did your trans have the harness or did you have to make it? Where / how did you mount your kick down switch? any info would be dynamite.

Regards,
Is this a manual overdrive trans that you bought? Mine is still 3 on the tree. I just wired switch to the solenoid and activate it that way. The cable is attached to the rear lever so you can engage OD. So I have to push the cable in and pull the switch. If you look at the picture I posted you can see the cable on the bottom of the trans. I can take more pictures if you think they will help.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #28
curvedglass

my bad - I bought a non-synchro 319. I also have a three on the tree with the 230. It came with the engage cable that goes to the lever on the OD section of the trans. I also got a wiring harness with it but it is old and brittle. Part of that harness has a switch that should mount to the firewall and it gets 'kicked down' by the throttle linkage when you floor it. This disengages the OD. I do not have the brackets for the switch and some guys have posted about a second high beam switch or guys with floor shifters mount a momentary switch. And then one guy posted he doesn't even use the switch as the trans downshifts when the truck drops below 23mph - although that works for slowing down - not changing lanes. My previous owner set the truck up with 3.08's and I want to go back to 3.73 for normal driving and then I have the OD for highway.

First it would be cool to see how much I can eek out of the 3.08's and OD for few tank fulls.

I was wondering how you had your wiring hooked up. Picks of your switch set up etc would be key.

Thanks in advance for the info.