The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
gbnbrb123

85 k10, took off catalytic converter now backfiring

Okay, so I am a little new to the exhaust world but figured I had some knowledge of the subject matter. I removed most of my exhaust because of corrosion and rust and literally falling to pieces. The k10 is stock with a 305, the only pipes left on the vehicle is the y pipe. After taking the catalytic converter off the truck has started backfiring and barely starting at times, while previously it was running fine, at least I thought so. I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs due to how bad it was running and fuel filter, but no change, time for them anyway. I also had put in a new gas tank prior to everything along with a new fuel pump and everything seemed to be running fine at that time. My plan was to run straight pipes with maybe a magnaflow muffler with exit behind front door but was curious if that would make any difference in how it was running due to backpressure. My other option is to put a generic 2.5" catalytic converter with piping run to a muffler. Curious as to what you guys think are the best options and why the truck is running so rough.
Thanks, Nick
gbnbrb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 AM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: 85 k10, took off catalytic converter now backfiring

When i bought my 83 Silverado new with the 305 i had a true dual exhaust made for the truck, ran great! kept the original single exhaust and would install it on the truck when i had to do a smog test, this went on for years until i got tired of swapping out exhaust pipes, now run a single 3" exhaust coming off the Y pipe thru a 3" High Flow Magnaflow cat and 3" Flowmaster muffler dumped in front of the axle.
Never had any problems running a dual exhaust on the truck.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
gbnbrb123

But why would that make the truck run rough? Once it warms up runs good, I will be spraying some carb cleaner on the choke to see if that helps.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
johnwaynejeep

It sounds like a timing issue or a valve overlap issue. The exhaust system and cat may have provided enough backpressure and exhaust burn to hide this issue.

Do you have a factory camshaft? If you have an oversized camshaft with a larger overlap, the lower backpressure could be causing some of the intake charge to be sucked out your exhaust valve and ignite causing backfiring.

A new exhaust may hide the issue but hiding is not always the best bet. Get a timing light and post up your timing at idle and 2000 rpm.
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
gbnbrb123

Johnwaynejeep, I suspected that may have been the problem but will have to check with a timing light, unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. I inherited the truck roughly 4-5 years ago and have been constantly fixing and restoring stuff. Pretty much redid the whole frame and etc, so don't know a whole lot about carburetors and timing, but i have been constantly watching videos and learning along the way. Thanks and will keep you guys posted.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
gbnbrb123

The camshaft is factory I believe. I purchased a rebuilt quadrajet, replaced vacuum lines, and some other stuff, but nothing on the motor itself.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
Dead Parrot

Backfiring thru the carb or exhaust? If exhaust, it is likely the old leaky pipes were muffling the backfire or covering it with leak noise.

Possible the converter mostly plugged up years ago and a PO adjusted things attempting to get it to run better.

Might check the plugs to make sure you don't have one or two cylinders running way rich or lean.

If it still has one, make sure the exhaust riser valve isn't stuck closed.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
gbnbrb123

What is a PO, sorry?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #9
Desert_Eagle02

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbnbrb123 View Post
What is a PO, sorry?