The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #51
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
What panel is that close up of the rust on?
Driver side inner fenderwell. No biggie to fix since the patch will mainly be out of view.

Quote:
How nice is the Grill after it was sand blasted, is it going to need much work?
No, it's actually in great shape as are the grille surrounds.

Quote:
Hey there is something I can do! I can come over and pull all the dents and dings out of everything.
Help is always great, however, I think figuring out the wiring on your 5.3, dropping it in and getting it fired up should be your first priority. If you're over here, you ain't making any progress on your ride.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #52
Low Elco

Wow! What is the last pic? You're gonna laugh, but my best weapon for cleaning surfaces is an old da pad, a corded electric drill, and a roll of 80 grit. Works great, fast and controllable. Sorry it wasn't cleaner, but at least he stopped. The other guy we used killed our OG hood, and warped the fenders a little. But, they were clean clean when they came back. (Oy!). Like I said, anytime you need a hand, let me know. How goes the frame? Is the motor tight?
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #53
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Wow! What is the last pic? You're gonna laugh, but my best weapon for cleaning surfaces is an old da pad, a corded electric drill, and a roll of 80 grit. Works great, fast and controllable. Sorry it wasn't cleaner, but at least he stopped. The other guy we used killed our OG hood, and warped the fenders a little. But, they were clean clean when they came back. (Oy!). Like I said, anytime you need a hand, let me know. How goes the frame? Is the motor tight?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's one of the inner fenders. I'll patch that right up using the new MIG. Funny you should mention the 80 grit DA trick. I use the 8" Big Brutha version with my polishing sander. Amazing what it will rip off in a matter of seconds.

Before Brian came up the other day, I removed the plywood bed floor which gave me a good look at the frame in the back. Someone spent some time cleaning and painting it in the recent past, so it actually looks pretty darn good. No obvious rusted out areas or tweaks. Looks like they heated the rear coils to get it to sit lower, so there may be some work to do suspension-wise. We'll see. Oddly enough, it already has a new adjustable panhard bar. Shocks are waaay shot, however.

Engine is a big question mark at this moment. It ran fine coming home, but reading the plugs followed by a compression check indicates a blown head gasket between 6 & 8. My plan is to yank the engine and trans this week while the snow is whirling outside and do a more detailed investigation.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #54
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Help is always great, however, I think figuring out the wiring on your 5.3, dropping it in and getting it fired up should be your first priority. If you're over here, you ain't making any progress on your ride.
sigh...don't remind me, I've been finding every other part I need except that, it looks like the wiring harness is going to take some time, but since the weather in the foreseeable future isn't going to be nice I have time.
Oh and about being over there working on your ride, I owe you a few and I don't like being in peoples debt, besides that I need a break from working on mine occasionally and I think I might have some tallent working metal with a little direction and practice.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #55
67c10rustbuket

Wow I guess cab supports are overrated? Man I cant believe how some people "fix" things. I am sure you will do it right. I read a little on silver a few weeks ago and I see you have some serious skills. The new floor should get this one going in the right direction, great job so far!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #56
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Wow I guess cab supports are overrated? Man I cant believe how some people "fix" things. I am sure you will do it right. I read a little on silver a few weeks ago and I see you have some serious skills. The new floor should get this one going in the right direction, great job so far!
Thanks, Dan. Progress has been a bit slow recently. I've been doing a few machine work projects for friends and Crusty has taken a back seat. When I get a spare minute, I've been cleaning up small pieces in the blast cabinet to make them ready for paint when the outside temperatures cooperate. The interior is gutted except for the steering column and the floor shifter. Hopefully, won't be long before the Sawsall starts getting a workout.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #57
Low Elco

Aaaahhhhh.... Happiness is a warm Sawzall. Do you have a standard Bridgeport?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #58
Vic1947

Quote:
Aaaahhhhh.... Happiness is a warm Sawzall. Do you have a standard Bridgeport?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not anymore. I had a Webb (Bridgeport knockoff) with a 9x42 table and DRO when I lived in Houston, but had no way to transport or set it up here. Sold it before the move and now have a small Grizzly mill/drill with a 8x22 table. It still uses R8 collets, so all my tooling is usable. Also had to swap my Logan 14x40 lathe for a 10x22 with a much smaller footprint. Most stuff I do anymore is small, so that's not an issue. I have a DRO for the mill but have never installed it. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the smaller equipment. If it ever gets sloppy to the point that it can't be adjusted, I'll stick the readouts on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #59
Vic1947

Back on CRLS for a little while. Yanked the engine and exhaust this afternoon and found even more technical marvels. Note the quick disconnect air coupler on the intake manifold. No need for expensive turbos or superchargers, just hook up the 80 gal. compressed air tank stored in the bed and crack open the valve when you need that extra shot of go power. Also, I was impressed with the straight thread bolt in the NPT boss on the back of the carb. Check out the size of that puppy. Takes a 7/8" socket, so I figured the PO probably used an impact to tighten it. However, much to my surprise, a quarter turn using my fingers and it fell right out. No wonder we had to use a shot of ether to get 'er to fire.

I'm almost afraid to tear into the engine. No telling what I'll find there. Has to come apart, however, as I already know it has a bad head gasket. More later...
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #60
gdavis

Maybe that quick connect is to blow out the cob webs.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #61
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
maybe that quick connect is to blow out the cob webs.
lol!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #62
Low Elco

Har! Hope the rest of the motor cleans up well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #63
Vic1947

Disassembled most of the engine today and found some surprises and some "as expected" things. First of all, the short block is a 4 bolt main 350 out of an '80 model truck. Was apparently rebuilt at least once as it has a .020" over bore. Whoever did the rebuild slapped on a set of "416" 305 heads with 58cc chambers and 1.85/1.50 valves. With dished pistons and a .038" thick head gasket, it probably has around a 9.3:1 CR. The biggest surprise was that the head gasket was not blown between 6 and 8 as I originally thought. There's no sign of cracked rings or major cylinder issues, so I can only assume the problem is in the heads.

I checked on eBay and found the bulk of the parts I'll need to do a rebuild for around $350. Pistons, rings, bearings, cam/lifters, timing chain, valves, springs, retainers, oil pump, gaskets, freeze plugs, and etc. For another $150 you can upgrade to hypereutectics and a performance cam. With machine work, I should be able to assemble a nice little runner for under $1000. Let's see how fast this plan unwinds.

UPS delivered the Vintage Air kit today. I did a quick check for damage (none visible) and to see how it looked in general. From what I see, quality is very nice. Won't truly know until installation time, but I'm betting it will bolt up without a major hitch.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #64
Xeen

The original heads were probably junk so they got different ones and little did they know those are junk too, thats awesome LOL!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #65
Low Elco

There's a VA dealer right by me that can do the hoses when you're ready. Did ya have much ridge in the bores? Vortecs maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #66
Vic1947

Quote:
There's a VA dealer right by me that can do the hoses when you're ready. Did ya have much ridge in the bores? Vortecs maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the heads up Chip, I'll get with you when the time comes. There are some lines in the kit, but it's hard to predict how they'll fit.

Block had moderate ridging, also looked like it had sat for a while with some light condensation in the bores. Some patchy areas of pitting, but .010" should get it all. That would take the bores out to .030 over, which ain't bad, considering.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #67
Vic1947

Quote:
Vortecs maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya know, I think I may just stick with the 305's. With a flat top piston and small chambers, it would make about 10.2:1 CR. If I use a longer duration cam to kill some of the CR and drop in 1.94/1.60 valves, they would make a decent street setup. Engine came with a Holley Street Dominator intake and Edelbrock 600 carb, so I'd bolt them right back on. Vortecs would require all new stuff. More $$$.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #68
Low Elco

Hmm, true. I was just reading yesterday about efficiency stuff, and the going consensus was as much comp as you can get away with, and Small valves, actually. You plan sounds good. (Like I know!)

I'm kinda wanting to see how hot a vortec motor I can put under the 87 TBI in LBT. Kinda wanting to challenge myself to assemble it as well. My boss has offered to really flow up a set of Vortecs for me at a reasonable price, and it's tempting. He apparently grew up in Bob Morton's shop. Ask him about Kevin Gore. Motor off to the shop this week? OD trans?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #69
Vic1947

Quote:
Hmm, true. I was just reading yesterday about efficiency stuff, and the going consensus was as much comp as you can get away with, and Small valves, actually. You plan sounds good. (Like I know!)

I'm kinda wanting to see how hot a vortec motor I can put under the 87 TBI in LBT. Kinda wanting to challenge myself to assemble it as well. My boss has offered to really flow up a set of Vortecs for me at a reasonable price, and it's tempting. He apparently grew up in Bob Morton's shop. Ask him about Kevin Gore. Motor off to the shop this week? OD trans?
Talked to Bobby and it didn't take long for the wheels to come off my engine building plan. He's dead set against using 305 heads on a 350 (too much shrouding) and recommended using a 5.7 specific cylinder head. So, I worked a deal with him to purchase a set of Vortec's with all new valves and springs set up ready to bolt on. I've sourced an intake, self aligning rocker arms, perimeter valve cover adapters, gaskets and etc. In the end, it was less expensive than buying a set of low buck Gen 1 heads from Summit or, to a lesser extent, fixing up a clapped out used pair. I'll throw the old intake in the swap meet junk pile and maybe offset a little of the cost someday. Short block is headed for his place first of next week.

Crank was .010 under on the mains and .020 on the rod journals. Will likely need to be ground an additional .010 across the board to make it right. Rods look good, but you never know until you torque the caps and measure. Rest of the machine work I planned on so no surprises there.

No OD trans in my future. The PO said the TH400 was rebuilt very recently by Certified Transmission and it shifted slick as a button on the drive home. Will keep it until it pukes or gas goes to $10.

If you need moral support (or have excess beer), keep me in mind. I'll be happy to come over and help you wrench a load of hotness into a Vortec for LBT.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #70
Xeen

Why did I know that was going to happen...Vortec for the win!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #71
bguild

Vic-- Thanks for the donation of the stepside bed for my project. I still cant believe you are so close to me. Looks like i have everything to get my vin inspection completed to get my title. Once i get the title i will be tearing into my cab. I might want to talk to you a little more about the outer roof skin and grafting the larger rear window into my cab.
Thank you again. I owe you some help so if you need an extra hand just give me a call and I will come over.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #72
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguild View Post
Vic-- Thanks for the donation of the stepside bed for my project. I still cant believe you are so close to me. Looks like i have everything to get my vin inspection completed to get my title. Once i get the title i will be tearing into my cab. I might want to talk to you a little more about the outer roof skin and grafting the larger rear window into my cab.
Thank you again. I owe you some help so if you need an extra hand just give me a call and I will come over.
You're most welcome. Mike and I were quite taken with your little military trailer ...way cool!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #73
bguild

I love that trailer. It looks cool behind the jeep as well. I am planning on doing a make-over on it but with two little girls and life I have yet to tear into it. I still plan to stay with the army theme though.
I just went through your build on your silver truck. You have some really good fabrication skills. That is a nice truck and by the looks of it your CRLS truck is going to end up being nice as well.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #74
Vic1947

Ya know, it's great to have friends! UPS arrived today and delivered a Flaming River steering column courtesy of my longtime bud Jay, a CWPF (close, warm, personal friend) from TX I've known for going on 40 years. He's building a sweet little Chevy stepside (see below) and lurks on the forum. Hopefully he'll put up a build thread one of these days. Anyway, he'd bought a paintable column, then decided to install a chrome one instead, so the FR piece was lying around his garage and he up and sends it to me. And I can really put it to good use. Tilt is almost a requirement in these trucks unless maybe you're Peter Dinklage.

My good fortune didn't end there, however. Forum member bguild of Project Low Dough fame stopped by the house yesterday and donated a hood for CRLS. It's in very decent condition and should clean up with a minimum of heartburn.

UPS and FedEx also dropped off some stuff for the Vortec engine project ...Comp Cams XE262H cam (262/.462"I, 270/.469"E, LS 110) with lifters and Magnum timing chain - as well as a ProComp air gap style intake. Won't be long till I'm ready for the block and heads.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #75
Vic1947

I'm back to doing some sheetmetal work. Built speaker enclosures today for the door panels. I have a set of 6x9 MBQuart reference speakers for the stereo system and decided to put them in the doors. Now is the perfect time to do so since I'm replacing the door bottoms on both sides. That way I can spotweld, paint and seal the boxes before they get trapped in the interior of the door. I know I took the lazy way out by cutting up the doors, but I couldn't come up with a better solution. Not enough room to put them under the seats and kick panel speakers aren't worthy of a 350W amp.

While I was at it, I made the patch for the rust spot in the corner of the door. Just need to cut out the rot and whip out the mighty MIG. (See what you missed B.G. - don't worry though, I'm saving the other side for you!)
Attached Images