The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
veinbar

1979 Chevrolet Bonanza SWB 1/2 Ton

This site and it's members have been a great source of advice and motivation to properly repair and maintain my '79 Chevy Bonanza. Thank you. I am finally starting a build thread to show you my truck's before, during and after condition.

First off, I purchased this truck in January 2010. I found it on Craigslist for the asking price of $2,500. I paid him $1,300 and drove it from Bastrop to Austin, TX. It was a "white-knuckled" drive due to the orange sized bulge in the front passenger side tire that caused a horrendous vibraish. No spare, no problem... I'm an idiot... Here is what I have to work with:

• 1979 Chevrolet Bonanza SWB 1/2 Ton
  • 350 ci. w/ Performer Carb and Intake
  • TH400 transmission (rebuilt 4 month prior to purchase w/ receipt)
  • GM 12 Bolt Rear Axle with 3.08 open rear
  • Straight body, minor rust/dents.
  • White Trash wheels, mis-matched tires
  • Dual 2" Cherry Bomb Exhaust through stock manifolds (dumped before the axle)
  • No dash lights, no gas gauge, no speedo, but everything else works.
  • Factory A/C truck missing everything that makes A/C
  • All in all... Happy with my purchase, overwhelmed with the repairs it needs.

Here is my truck on day 1 after I washed it...

veinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
veinbar

Re: 1979 Chevrolet Bonanza SWB 1/2 Ton

I started off by giving the truck a much needed tune-up which included:
  • Carb Rebuild
  • Plugs & Wires
  • New HEI Dist
  • Oil Change
  • Air Cleaner and Filter
  • Replaced fuel lines and Filter
  • Radiator Flush and Hose replacement
  • Rear end was whining (replaced the fluid)
  • New Brake fluid

Next... The truck needed rims and tires.

The back two tires were brand new "Road Huggers" size 275/60/15. I loved the size and the tread pattern was great. My plan was to purchase two more Huggers from Discount Tire, but... They had discontinued this make and model of tire. I asked them if they had some sort of trade-in program, otherwise, what was I going to do with two new tires they sold me. (Of course I didn't buy them but I was working an angle) They did credit me with $80 Hugger tire, and offered me the BF Goodrich Radial T/As in 275/60/15 for $80 a piece. Smoking deal...

I picked up four 15x8 GM Rally Wheels w/ center caps at the local junkyard for $70 total. I picked up some sand paper, paint stripper, steel wool, and High Temp Primer and High Temp Silver paint to semi-restore the wheels.

I paid few bucks to have Discount Tire to mount and balance the new combo and it was a vast improvement.

I picked up a set of 3" Chrome Trim Rings on Ebay for $65, no shipping charges. Made a huge difference...
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
JuicyJ

Wow your truck looks way better with rally wheels. It can get a little overwhelming but take it one step at a time and you will see the results. Good deal on a good truck.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
veinbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyJ View Post
Wow your truck looks way better with rally wheels. It can get a little overwhelming but take it one step at a time and you will see the results. Good deal on a good truck.
Rally wheels and Radial T/A tires are a magical combination. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
veinbar

After driving around for almost a year with a weak and tired engine, I decided to rebuild it. It was pulling so poorly I thought that it could be a 305 on it's last leg. To my surprise my truck had an "882" headed 350 engine bored .040 over and had 4-bolt mains. Not a bad bread an butter core to rebuild. Since the engine was already bored .040 over I wanted to avoid boring it again to .060. Instead the builder gave the cylinders a fresh honing, and it was good to go. The engine was rebuilt to OEM Specs, stock cam and all. The only elected additions were Flat-Top Pistons, and a double roller timing chain. The price for a long-block rebuild = $700... Not bad IMO. With the additional gaskets, silicons, and paint the entire engine rebuild cost around $1000. Here were the results...

After a long / drawn out remove and replace process, I finally had my truck running again. The engine was great. Started right up, set the timing, and it idled beautifully. My buddy Chris and I had to do this engine swap on a gravel covered grassy uneven surface at a friend's house. He was happy to see us go. He said that our truck made his house look like "Sanford and Son".

Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Pop's C-10

Nice start...killer work on bringing that rally back to life..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
veinbar

So I'm rolling and feeling quite good about the progress I have made on my Bonanz... Then disaster strikes. I rear end a 2010 Honda Civic on my commute to work. EFFFFF Word!!! This is the first and only vehicle collision I have ever been involved with in my 12 years of driving. Nothing major happened, the truck is still fully operational, no one was injured, it just left my truck a little dinged up.
  • Front Driver-Side Quarter Panel was crunched...
  • DS Headlight bezel was crushed...
  • DS Side Marker light was smashed...
  • Front Bumper was twisted and bent beyond recovery...
  • Grill was cracked up more than it's prior brittle state...

I was completely disgusted with myself. All I could see were the dollars being flushed due to my careless driving. $$$$ for BS. Also, my truck's straight body was one of the only things it had going for it. Now it was an embarrassment... The build must go on...

Old 07-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
veinbar

Not too long after my accident with the Honda Civic, I began acquiring the necessary pieces to repair the damage.
  • DS Quarter Panel from LMC = $50 on Craigslist
  • DS Headlight Bezel = $16 on Ebay
  • Side Marker Light Set = $25 on Ebay
  • I still need a stock front bumper and grill...
  • Although not caused by the wreck, I'd like to find a stock rear bumper to replace the 90's crap bumper I currently have.

My buddy Chris replaced the quarter panel and installed the new bezel and marker. He also removed the front bumper because it interfered with the headlight bezel. I had no hand in completing this work, as I was in Colorado on vacation. He described the panel replacement as "very difficult" only he used grown up words. I am thankful to have friends that share my classic truck obsession.

I will add pictures of this handy work ASAP.

Last edited by veinbar; 07-29-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
veinbar

My new engine was running strong, but fuel delivery was something that I was still struggling with. Bogging, stumbling off the line, sputtering, and very difficult to start no matter the temperature. Not to mention that I was averaging 10 mpg or less in town or hwy. The fumes of raw fuel filled my cab as I drove. I couldn't go anywhere without smelling like a gas pump. I finally decided to purchase a Sean Murphy Inductions Carburetor. I had known about SMI for some time, but had never been able to afford one of his carburetors. I pulled the trigger on his STAGE 2 ROCHESTER QUADRAJET. $350 shipping included. It took a little over two weeks to arrive, but was well worth the wait. It was like unwrapping a work of art. This carb was spotless, and everything moved and functioned so smoothly. I couldn't wait to install it. I had my friend Christian Install the Q-Jet, fuel lines, and new filter. Started right up, adjusted the idle / mixture screws and... Wow... That's what my truck is supposed to sound like. Smooth idle, smooth acceleration, quick response and no fuel wasted. The plume of unburned fuel had disappeared. My stumbles and stutters off the line were a distant memory. This carb feels as smooth as other fuel injected vehicles I've driven. My new MPG were far more impressive. On average I am getting 12 mpg in town and 16+ mpg on the hwy (2500 rpm / 65mph) I even saw hwy mileage climb to 17.4 for a 350 mile stretch. (must have had the wind to my back. LOL.

Sean Murphy Stage 2 Quadrajet pictures will be added ASAP:
Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
veinbar

Dual Exhaust... The truck currently had stock manifolds / 2" cherry bomb exhaust that dumps just before the axle. It's an improvement over stock exhaust, but is way too loud for my liking (not to mention my neighbors). I want exhaust that improves flow and isn't too loud to carry a conversation in the cab. I went with the following set up:
  • Flowtech Longtube headers = $85
  • Thrush Trubo Mufflers 2.25" I/O = $20/each
  • 2.25" exhaust w/ factory appearing turn-outs behind each tire INSTALLED = $325

Pictures of my dual exhaust will be added ASAP:
Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
73gmc454

Clean lookin truck ,you made great improvements , I'm sure you'll get the damage tuned up
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Dont beat yourself up about the accident, it will be better than ever when you're done!!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
veinbar

So the truck has a new engine, new carb, new exhaust, two year old trans, and the body damage has been repaired for the most part. My next move was to tackle some of the dreaded wiring issues. On 7/31/11 my friend Christian and I repaired the dash lights, fuel gauge, cigarette lighter (phone charger), and back lights in my aftermarket gauges. I no longer have to use my phone's screen light to monitor my speed, fuel level, temperature, oil pressure, rpm, and voltage. Driving our generation trucks is like commanding a submarine. It requires your undivided attention at all times. In my GF's '09 Escape, I forget I'm driving sometimes. LOL.

Also, fun update. I have scavenged a 700r4 core from my '76 SWB Chevy Sport Van that will be built and installed in my '79 as soon as I can afford it... Should be soon.

I will add pics ASAP...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
veinbar

One more minor step backwards. I was driving on the highway and my brand new driver-side headlight bezel flew off. In my rear view mirror I could see it tumble at 65mph and eventually get run over by a following truck.... I suppose these things happen. Now my truck has a black eye again.
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 455ci, TH400, 2.73 Open - SOLD (but I still claim to own it from time to time)
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Contact member Zimmstoy on here. He has a 78 or 79 he is parting out, and those headlight bezels are decent (As I remember). He is in Cedar Park, right by Lakeline Mall.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
veinbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Contact member Zimmstoy on here. He has a 78 or 79 he is parting out, and those headlight bezels are decent (As I remember). He is in Cedar Park, right by Lakeline Mall.
Will do. Thank you. I need a lot of stuff.
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 455ci, TH400, 2.73 Open - SOLD (but I still claim to own it from time to time)