The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
Nova_Cobra64

Thumbs down Command Start

Wow, I always thought these guys were top of the line, but boy was I wrong. Nothing but problems from what I have experianced.

Despite the fact that we continue to sell these things at work, I have to save you guys the trouble of buying one of these things.
We have one mechanic of the six that does the command starts, and he does probably 50 a year if not more, so we know it isn't him that is the problem.

The things I have witnessed:
- We ordered a whole bunch of their new 350I-AM units in a booking. We got 8 of them in a short while later. On the first install the tech couldn't get it to work. He swapped the module from last year's FM upgrade and got it to work. We tried all 8 modules didn't get one that worked until we hit number 7. Turned out to be faulty chips.
- Customer satisfaction seems a little iffy. The command start rep said he would try to get use 2 free units to make up for the time myself, my dad (aka my boss), and the technician wasted with the previous problem. Still haven't heard from him or seen these 2 units.
-The same rep told us that we would be recieving the base 350 models (a cheaper option for the consumer) in 2 days, haven't seen them and it has been almost a month.
-On the same booking as the 350I-AM units, I purchased a 260 to put in my Saturn. Had the tech install it for me after hours for $50. Being that the car has a manual transmission, there is a certain sequence you have to go through to arm it in order to start it. I used it for the first couple days to get used to it and then put the remote away for a couple of weeks until it got cooler out. Now it works half assed, almost like the buttons beep but nothing happens. I usually have to try again and again to arm it, sometimes it works great, and the next time not at all. We are going to try a new remote and if that ain't it.....troubleshooting time.
-Definately inferior in terms of range, even compared to cheaper brands.

Sounds like we will probably be dropping the command start line in favour of a new line we are currently testing the waters with (and no problems so far).

I also heard that some company in Winnipeg recently returned over $20,000 worth of command start inventory back to command start because "they were tired of command start dragging their name through the mud".

So for those of you looking for a remote start..........don't bother with this company.
2013 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650 - The reason no work gets done on the project truck.

Last edited by Nova_Cobra64; 10-30-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Nova_Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote