The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
chevy72pu

Re: 1 ton dually pics post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norselander View Post
Beautiful trucks. Both of these easily make my top 10 in the appearance category.

I favour the appearance of Rushnbobo's bed but I can't deny the importance of a good headache
rack.
Thanks! Man, that's some great company to be in. I really the like the detail that went into Rushnbobo's bed.

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600
72 C10 350/350 sportside bed.
68 C30 flatbed. 350 4-speed.

"I've got a good memory, it's just short!"
chevy72pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72pu View Post
Thanks! Man, that's some great company to be in. I really the like the detail that went into Rushnbobo's bed.
I totally agree about the headache board (if you actually use it as a work truck)

Here is the difference, my truck only hauls one thing....."ASS".... so I guess I don't need it.....................

BTW thanks for the compliments It means alot to me and everyone who puts in those long weekends to finish their rides...........Rushnbobo................
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
clayton1967

I was curious RUSH how long is your bed? I love the truck by the way!
clayton1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton1967 View Post
I was curious RUSH how long is your bed? I love the truck by the way!
The way u see it now it measures 6'6 x 8'
-Since this is the "short" wheelbase version 1 ton it came with a 7' x 9' bed exactly like Tim Meyers SLOMOTION in this thread ..if u look closely you can see from the side that his bed overhangs the axle 12 inches more than mine.
Since he had committed himself to preserving a original appearance due to the rarity of his truck leaving the bed in its original proportions was smart. If I started with his truck I would have built it the same ...even the 292 inline!!

My goal from the start was a "restomod" so I looked at building more of a street rod appearance. The bed was definatly not going to work with my vision in its original proportions.....so first order was to reduce the bulky overhang, and i settled on 8 ft. by cutting out 12 inches and welding back together. The frame was now sticking out the back by around 6 inches so more cuttting.

Now it's close but still didn't look quite right.....it was the width, overhanging the tires .....more cutting. Took a section (about 6 inches from the rear center) and tacked it up....stood back and ...that was it!!!!!.....ALMOST

Look at Tim's bed height....and compare....mine sits about 2 inches lower on the frame which helps make it look like it's not floating to high above the frame....this was done with removing all the oak framework and building up the structure with channel iron in its new lower position.

This is an original Chevy bed (look for the rounded corners and detail in the bed sides). It did not come on all 1 tons trucks BTW ...it could also be ordered as a chassis only which is also done today on 1 ton and up trucks. Before '73 Chevy did not build a fleetside bed w/fender extensions as is common place today as 1 tons changed into dual purpose commercial and personal use.

Pre '72 1 ton and larger were considered commercial vehicles hence no reason to fab up a fleetside dually. One exception was camper coach builders in which the chassis was sent to another factory to add the camper back ...pretty rare ...there's at least 1 on the forum.

Ok thats all my secrets........almost.........this is what u get when u ask me a question ....ten times more info than u probably wanted .....thats just me...

...................................Rushnbobo
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
clayton1967

Thanks rush that was a great answer to my question! I love4 your truck and i know where one is i might have to swoop it up!
clayton1967 is offline   Reply With Quote