The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #626
Tony@AirRideTech

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
"I can't see $hit, can you?"
No problem son.... no problem....
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #627
Rstone1

Smile Re: Make it handle

Thanks for the responce. I'll be ordering a copy of the software next week. Just sold the 79 Blazer so back to the 68 and the 84 for now.
Rstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #628
Greywolf200

Thanks for the your take on control arms and while on the front, what are your thoughts on the Ride Tech tall spindles? I think I've heard of using taller spindles to improve handling before, maybe Caprice for Camaros?

Thanks,
Greywolf200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #629
Hotchkis

Quote:

"I can't see $hit, can you?"
Hold onto your Lunch Box!
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #630
SCOTI

I remember the dually from the movie.... but I don't 'remember' the scene. Now I'm going to have to dig it up for a 'review'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #631
danielhaskins336

Hey rob, I was wondering at what degree of caster would you recommend changing to a rod end to the bottom of the spindle. And second what is your take on adjustable ball joints to help center the wheel on a c10 and to also help increase caster?
Posted via Mobile Device
danielhaskins336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #632
leftcoast66

Congrats on the article in HotRod Mag Rob, the truck looks mean.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #633
robnolimit

OK, I'm Back That was a long trip. 19 days, 4900 miles, 22 shop visits, 2 big shows, 1 second, 1 win, and 1 championship in the bag. Thanks to everyone for there hospitality. Greywolf the gain from the tall spindle is that it builds in a faster camber gain curve. Meaning that as the suspension compresses, it gains more camber than with the short spindle. I think that the geometry is a bit different, car vs truck, and I don't know of a tall truck spindle. I do however, know that circle track guys use the truck ball joints, and that they have 'tall' ball joints for trucks. Stay tuned for updates, this is a planned update on the JT, since it currently has used oem (still with the rivits) ball joints in it. We will run some laps as is, and then change only the upper bal joints, and run it as a comparison. We'll keep you posted. Daniel 7 to 8 deg caster is the range to be in, this in itself is not enough to flip the tie rod end. I don't know of any ball joints that can adjust to gain any caster. They can adjust ride hieght and camber gain, but not caster or wheel placement.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #634
robnolimit

RACE REPORT Seams like I forgot to keep you all posted on the events of the last few weeks. July 1,2,3, was the GoodGuys in Des Moines Ia. This was the biggest autocross track ever seen at a GoodGuys event. We swapped the lead with Tyler Gibson and his 47 chevy most of friday and saturday, and, as we were predicting, shortley after lunch on saturday, Tyler put down a lap that was untouchable for us. We did our best to catch him, but to no avail. then, I rode in the mini-cab chevy for a lap, and he chopped another 4/10ths, in what felt like a ride in a shifter cart. Yes, Tylers chevy is fast, and yes, he beat us fair and square. He was there with three generations of gibson family members, and four cars competing, even mom Gibsons rag-top bug. A great bunch of people, and a well deserved win. Overall, trucks proved there worth, Tyler ran 6th and we were 9th overall, in a field of 74 competitors, no too shaby. Happy fourth to all.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #635
killerpickup

Rob, this no doubt sounds basic to you, but Iam installing a ford 9 inch in my 79 chev shortbox, and Iam at a loss to figure out if I should center the housing in the frame or the pinion, it seems like I should keep everything in line, but I have heard that ford ofset there pinion on purpose to save on ujoints. HELP Lon.
killerpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #636
robnolimit

No problem. You should center the housing, measure from the backing plate to the frame on each side. Make sure that you measure from the same place on each side, like a mirror image. Don't worry about the pinion being offset, the U-joints go side to side just as they go up and down. Centering off of the pinion may put the tires out to the left or right- not the look we're after.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #637
robnolimit

RACE REPORT GoodGuys Columbus PPG Nationals is the biggest GoodGuys show in the country. We went from Des Moines to Jasper In. to RideTech, were we swapped to the new tripple adjustable coil-overs. This is a whole new tuning process. We got to see some new stuff in the works there and had a good time. We ran into Mary Pozzi there, getting some new front shocks as well. We made it Columbus on wednesday, and there was already a bunch going on. Thurday evening, I did some make shift shock tuning. In the back of the campground was a really big parking lot. I set some shop towels on the ground in a 150 ft half circle. I'd run up to it at about 35 mph, and then turn and drive the 180 corner. I'd make 4 or 5 runs at it, and then change one shock to see how it reacted. I did this for about two hours, and about 80 laps. At the end I had a croud of 200+ watching and asking questions. This turned into a huge campground benchracing session. Had a great time. Friday morning rain and the running of the 'Street Machine of the Year' cars took up most of the day, and we only got two runs. 33.705 was our fast lap of the day, that put us in the lead over Mike Hickmans Hotchkis built 'G-10', who ran 33.769. The G-10 has had a lot of work done to it since we last saw it, well built and looks good. Saturday the pit filled to it's 80 car max, and we only got three runs. As the day went on, and the track got hot, the times slipped a bit. We never ran faster, nor did the G-10. We won the truck class, and ran 9th overall in a field of 80, or 108 if you count the street machine cars. Congrats, to Brandy Morrow of Spectra in her 70 Camaro, she won the vender class, and Mike Maier, 65 Mustang, won the street machine class and the Sponsor Shoot-out.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #638
Greywolf200

[QUOTE=robnolimit;4797175][/B]Greywolf[/B] the gain from the tall spindle is that it builds in a faster camber gain curve.

Thanks for the info, that was what I was thinking. What caused me to ask was an item on Ridetech's website. Listed in their 1963-70 front suspension system (pt. no. 11340399) is a spindle which is 1 1/2" taller than a standard spindle. I couldn't find it listed separately anywhere and wasn't going to bother them unless the gains were worthwhile.

Thanks again,
Greywolf200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #639
robnolimit

State of Handling I wanted to put out a big THANKS to those of you chasing a better handling truck. Trucks are gaining ground fast, and we hear more and more about great trucks and builds around the country. Last night I was going over the Columbus GoodGuys stats, and realized how much we have gained.
Here's some stats to look at. Mike Maier ran the fast time of the weekend, in his Roush 358" 65 Mustang (he is a 25 yr. + autocross vet) 32.304. Mary Pozzi was second in the street machine class in her fresh built and lightenend 72 camaro. Mary is a 12 National autocross champion, she ran 32.595. Nashville's Brian Finch, who won the Run To The Coast this year, ran a 33.571 in his LS powered 71 Camaro. Roger Burman, of Lakeside Rod and Custom, builder of last years 'Street machine of the year', brought out there new "Crusher" 70 camaro, and ran a 34.481. In the Vendor class, Spectra's Brandy Morrow and the '70 Carbon Camaro ran a 32.622 for the win, fourth in the class was Detroit Speed's Stacy Tucker, 69 camaro, with a 33.718. Now the trucks. We won with a 33.702, just edging out the Hotchkiss built 68 C-10 of Mike Hickman, who ran a 33.766 and a newcomer, Spencer Caudle ran a 34.908 in his 53 chevy p/u.
The great news is we are no longer anywhere near the back of the pack. And I predict that Trucks will only get faster in the years to come. If you haven't tried this, give it a shot, you'll get hooked. Also, as we close in on 50,000 views on this thread, (a cool goal) thanks for all of the interest and input.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #640
SCOTI

Quote:
State of Handling I wanted to put out a big THANKS to those of you chasing a better handling truck. Trucks are gaining ground fast, and we hear more and more about great trucks and builds around the country. Last night I was going over the Columbus GoodGuys stats, and realized how much we have gained.
Here's some stats to look at. Mike Maier ran the fast time of the weekend, in his Roush 358" 65 Mustang (he is a 25 yr. + autocross vet) 32.304. Mary Pozzi was second in the street machine class in her fresh built and lightenend 72 camaro. Mary is a 12 National autocross champion, she ran 32.595. Nashville's Brian Finch, who won the Run To The Coast this year, ran a 33.571 in his LS powered 71 Camaro. Roger Burman, of Lakeside Rod and Custom, builder of last years 'Street machine of the year', brought out there new "Crusher" 70 camaro, and ran a 34.481. In the Vendor class, Spectra's Brandy Morrow and the '70 Carbon Camaro ran a 32.622 for the win, fourth in the class was Detroit Speed's Stacy Tucker, 69 camaro, with a 33.718. Now the trucks. We won with a 33.702, just edging out the Hotchkiss built 68 C-10 of Mike Hickman, who ran a 33.766 and a newcomer, Spencer Caudle ran a 34.908 in his 53 chevy p/u.
The great news is we are no longer anywhere near the back of the pack. And I predict that Trucks will only get faster in the years to come. If you haven't tried this, give it a shot, you'll get hooked. Also, as we close in on 50,000 views on this thread, (a cool goal) thanks for all of the interest and input.
Thank you Rob! Guys like you that are willing to share your experiences, knowledge, & ideas/suggestions only help the hobby (especially this segment) grow.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #641
dougminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Thank you Rob! Guys like you that are willing to share your experiences, knowledge, & ideas/suggestions only help the hobby (especially this segment) grow.
I agree. Thank you for sharing your time and experience.

1972 GMC SWB
454 oval ports
TH400

fastest 1/4 mile time so far
13.05 @ 104

If you think you have too much horsepower
you obviously have a traction problem !
dougminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #642
robnolimit

how about some help on a new project. I need some Photoshop help. We would like to see a side profile of a C-10, stock, and with some mods, to see the comparison. Mods list. Start with a 67-72 sb. chop 2", lean the wishield to fit. Front fenders and hood, cut 2" off of the back edge at the door gap and cowl, and move the front group back to fit. use a sloped 67 hood. pull the front bumper back until it is flush with the grill face. Cut 4" off of the front of the bed sides, and move the bed forward 4" towards the cab. Cut 2" off of the back of the bed, move the end caps and tailgate forward. Cut 2" off of the bottom of the rocker, from the back of the front wheel opening, to the front of the rear wheel opening. Raise the front wheel opening, and re-work the radius, up 3". Set the body ride hieght to 5" at the front rocker, and 6" in the rear. front wheel will be 18x10, 305 35 19, rears 19x12, 345 30 19. Any takers?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #643
65Short

Rob, I'm getting ready to buy a shock kit from you guys.
Do I need to call, or pm. And is there any way to get further
Info on your front crossmember mods? I would like to set
Up my 65 like project jt. Thanks, Jon.
Posted via Mobile Device
65Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #644
robnolimit

No problem Jon, just call the shop. 909 386 7637. We are working on the complete JT build now so we can post it up. i'll get on Marcel to get it done.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #645
robnolimit

On a sad note, the Truckin' world has lost a great guy. Courtney wll be missed by everyone who ever met him. R.I.P. Tito.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #646
SCOTI

Quote:
On a sad note, the Truckin' world has lost a great guy. Courtney wll be missed by everyone who ever met him. R.I.P. Tito.
Wow, I had no idea he passed yesterday. Phenominal car guy & writer/photographer.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #647
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I saw this sad news on the Hamb.
Not much info anywhere else on the internet.
It's a sad day for the Truckin community.

I hadn't kept up with where Courtney Howell was working lately,... but I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #648
robnolimit

On a happier note, 'Delmo' stopped in the other day and picked up a chassis pack for a 55-57 chevy p/u. He will be starting a build thread on this, posting up picts and info along the way. If you don't know of him, check the bio on the front page, he's a great guy.
So, no help on the photoshop project yet?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #649
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Hey Rob,... Congrats on winning the Truckin Throwdown.
Amazing truck and driving job.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #650
SCOTI

Quote:
On a happier note, 'Delmo' stopped in the other day and picked up a chassis pack for a 55-57 chevy p/u. He will be starting a build thread on this, posting up picts and info along the way. If you don't know of him, check the bio on the front page, he's a great guy.
So, no help on the photoshop project yet?
Have you tried the 'photoshop' section? I don't go there much but perhaps someone could help....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG