The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
hunter_507

1972 blazer: project classic

hi, i am new to the forums and decided to start my build thread.

to start, i bought this last summer. i bought it for 3000(what a steal that was!) the truck is completely stock, the guy i vought it from had owned it for 21 years, and the owner before him ever did anything, except for engine tune-ups, etc. it has everything including original mirrors(which i hear are very hard to find) down to the original hubcaps. unfortunately, the guy also replaced the original engine with a crate motor, is a 350/ automatic.

so what i plan on doing is NOT doing a total tear-down restoration (its my only truck/daily driver) i am doing a driver restoration. (even though i still dont have my license, only 14 :P) so far ive tooken off the front bumper and grill, (you can see from the picture its pretty beat up) and instead of buying a new grill im going to bend them back to shape. so far i have bought a replacement fog light for the broken one, a front bumper (original, not a remake) both front fenders, and the button opener for the glovebox (it was broken and hung open all the time). i will upload new pictures as soon as possible, being that my truck is at my dads.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
hunter_507

Re: 1972 blazer: project classic

heres a few of the new parts and the garage
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
hunter_507

and heres other pictures. theres some rust, the original hubs, engine, interior, and current stage.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
dujobu

Looks good man. Great you're getting into it so young. I've been dreaming of owning a K5 since I was about your age, and I just finally got one two years ago (I'm 31 now). Very cool. Keep up the work. Anxious to see it progress.
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

Good for you young man. Im 39 and still dont have one. Good to see young kids interested in the older cars/ trucks. i have a 16 yo son who is into the older musle cars. hope he has the motivation you have. good luck with your build.
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
2003 silverado

You have the BUG now and always will. Good luck with her
1997 Ford focus (Beater)
2003 ford Taurus (student)
2014 Ford Fusion HYB (wife)
2003 Jetta ( Student)
2003 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
hunter_507

today i got a quote on how much it will cost for a guy who does rust repair to make my truck completely "rust free". this includes rocker panels, floor pans, doors, and the right rear quarter. he said it would be around 3000 to fix it all. debating the offer still, good deal or not?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
jaros44sr

It might be a good time in your life to buy a welder, take some welding classes at a local Vo-Tech school and fix your own rust. Might just save you a ton of money over your lifetime. Its not that hard, really......

Good luck with your decision, which ever it is. And welcome to the boards from Philly, Pa.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
lks dcvn

- that is what I did. You can get a decent welder for around half of that and learn a new skill along the way.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
hunter_507

ok, change of plans. ive decided on taking some welding classes and buying a welder to save money. also, im going to get a add-a-leaf 2 inch lift. that way i can fit 33's and some 18's on it, but still keep the original wheels and not have them look strange.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
hunter_507

i am having trouble taking off the fenders at the moment... gotta save up for a electric handsaw :P all the bolts connecting it to the wheel wells are rusted and eroded to the point where i don't even know what kind of bolts they where. i havent made a whole lot of progress, i dont get to go to my dads that often, but i might be moving back in with him this summer, so ill hopefully start moving along then.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
OLD K5

That is the best advice i have heard. Learn how to weld. (Give a man a fish he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.) Also take auto shop classes to learn about the rest of you truck. Solid work young man, that Blazer is sweet.
OLD K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_507 View Post
i am having trouble taking off the fenders at the moment... gotta save up for a electric handsaw :P all the bolts connecting it to the wheel wells are rusted and eroded to the point where i don't even know what kind of bolts they where. i havent made a whole lot of progress, i dont get to go to my dads that often, but i might be moving back in with him this summer, so ill hopefully start moving along then.
JMHO!, but i think a good angle grinder with a cut off wheel would fit your needs better. If you do buy one, make sure you wear goggles and a shield, kevlar gloves gloves are also a good addition to your PPE (personal protection equipment)

Im lucky to only bear scars from using the tools, because of binding the blades.

Good luck with your project, and dont be afraid to ask questions, or advise

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
hunter_507

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
JMHO!, but i think a good angle grinder with a cut off wheel would fit your needs better. If you do buy one, make sure you wear goggles and a shield, kevlar gloves gloves are also a good addition to your PPE (personal protection equipment)

Im lucky to only bear scars from using the tools, because of binding the blades.

Good luck with your project, and dont be afraid to ask questions, or advise
i took your advise and got an angle grinder instead, it seemed like a much better idea. unfortunately i couldnt find any kevlar gloves, but i have some on order right now. (i think im about out of money too ) good thing schools out soon, can get back to work
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
jaros44sr

I didnt see where you bought googles and a sheild, safety glasses arent good enuff, particles can still get in the sides. Ive had metal in my eyes, and it is not fun, the pain will stop you in your tracks, and end your fun day working on your truck. If you dont have a set i will send them to you

Only cut with the blade from the 12 to 3 oclock position within the rotation of the wheel, if this doesnt make sense, i will explain further. Reason being, it can catch, and kick back....

Maybe your welding teach can explain further, demonstration! These tools can hurt you

Good luck with your build and keep posting progress

What size arbor is your angle grinder?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
DustinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
I didnt see where you bought googles and a sheild, safety glasses arent good enuff, particles can still get in the sides. Ive had metal in my eyes, and it is not fun, the pain will stop you in your tracks, and end your fun day working on your truck. If you dont have a set i will send them to you

Only cut with the blade from the 12 to 3 oclock position within the rotation of the wheel, if this doesnt make sense, i will explain further. Reason being, it can catch, and kick back....

Maybe your welding teach can explain further, demonstration! These tools can hurt you

Good luck with your build and keep posting progress

What size arbor is your angle grinder?
That is great that your are 14 and going after this project, thats when I got started 20 years ago.
I have to agree 110% on the safety equipment on all power tools, especially the grinder (for me one of the most respected). I luckily still have my thumb because of the gloves I was wearing.
DustinU is offline   Reply With Quote