The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
thelonerife

Thelonerifes 72 stepper

Well, I am starting a build thread even though I have already started tearing apart the truck. First off I bought a frame and cab (gray one) in Alabama.Its a 72 swb frame that had been painted in the past. And a cab that was stripped, sandblasted,then driprails cut off and much bondo everywhere!. It looks good in pics. but don't be fooled there is a lot of bondo in it. I thought about fixing the drip rails but it was not very promising seeing all the bondo on the top edge over the windshield.
Then I bought a stepside bed from a board member in Louisiana. Its in good shape and pretty good paint. faded on top of rails, wood needs refinished. Also got the bumper from him.
Then I bought a 72 3/4 ton custom camper highlander from a boardmember. It had all the options that came on those models,ac,auto and tilt,ps,pb and the oh so cool plaid seat!! We went to Minnesota and picked up this truck and drove it back to TN. The main reason I bought it was the AC worked. and was retrofitted with R134. I don't have many pictures of it though before I took it apart. I sold the rolling frame to a board member and put the cab on the shortbed frame.I'll show you some pics then I'll fill you in on what I've got done up till now.
Attached Images

Last edited by thelonerife; 03-29-2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
thelonerife

Re: Thelonerifes 72 stepper

more pics of the gray cab and the frame is ready for the blue cab after I get the bed off.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
thelonerife

This is the blue 72 highlander. The plan is just to take the cab forward and put it on the swb frame. Sounds easy huh? This cab has rust issues on the rockers cab corners and kick panels. I have cut the good floor parts that I needed from the gray cab and will graft them into the blue cab. I kept the top of the cab for a patch I think I'll need over my windshield. The rest went to the scrapper.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
thelonerife

Well I stripped the cab down to the point where I could get it off the frame. I use a lift and the one man cab and bed lift I made from a boardmembers plans. It works good. I left the dash stuff in,ac on the firewall and it added some weight to the front but was manageable. I just set the cab on the frame because I have to replace one front cab mount on the pass. side. I'll get more pics of what Ive got done up to now and will post them
Attached Images

Last edited by thelonerife; 03-29-2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
thelonerife

If I dont sell the lwb bedsides I'll try the swb cutdown. The blue truck also came with a great tailgate. I'm keeping it. Don't ask.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
thelonerife

Well like I said I cut some good parts off the gray cab and most of the cab supports need the lower portion replaced near the rocker. just the pass. front had a few small holes around the bolt area that I didn't feel comfortable just welding up. So I got the entire support form the other cab. i also am going to have to replace the lower portion of the front pilars. The cab corner and outer rocker were good so I can use both of those for the pass. side. i cut out the bad cab corner and part of the floor where the seatbelt fastens to the floor. You could see right through that part of the truck. I welded in this section of the floor and had to patch my patch inside the cab corner where the inner rocker meets the support. I used the lower half of the good support. Next i plan to replace the lower front pilar and install the donor support. By the way I do plan to replace the inner rocker. I just left it together for a little support. I know the donor pieces look rusty but it is surface rust where the po left the gray cab outside after getting it blasted. Whew!! I hope I haven't rambled it too much but I have never told what I've done like this. Maybe from here on out it will sound better as I tell a little at a time. Chuck.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
thelonerife

More pics of the pass side repair
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Boog
laying low

You've bought a stepside bed but you are thinking about cutting down the long fleetside panels too? That Highlander interior is in good shape and I like blue. That truck has some nice options with the trim, tilt and air. Looks good.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
thelonerife

These are some pics of the drivers side that will be done later. Its not as bad as the pass. side. And a pic of the donor outer rocker and cab corner that will be used later. The cab corner will be trimmed quite a bit. The po put in a new corner so I'll be using it. Also the rockers are new but he glued them in with something like fiberglass caulking or epoxy ?? I'll have to clean all that stuff off. I have skipped around enough so I'll post when i get something done. Not working on it his week maybe this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
thelonerife

That last pic is of the pass. side cab corner and floor section that i replaced.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
thelonerife

Boog, I hope to sell the bedsides but if I can't I'll cut them down. I ve heard and have seen people on this site do it so it has my curiosity up just to see if I can do it. The bedside do have some little dent and a little rust so its not like I'm ruining them . If they were super nice i would'nt do it. I'll wait a while before I do it though. I need to get this truck going
Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
thelonerife

These are some parts that I picked up from some boardmembers at a cookout they had here in mid TN. The fenders are 68s and picked them up from Alvin,Thanks.And the hood from Wooridge. The floor patches came from a vendor on Ebay. Still waiting on cab corners. Had to buy a pair.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
thelonerife

Well it rained today so I couldn't push it outside to do a lot of welding. I was hoping to cut out the pass. side support and weld in the replacement but oh well. I like to weld outside if I know it'll be good weather. I can see better.
I am getting a cluttered garage so I think this was a good time to do a little job and get something from underfoot. I keep stepping on this spare tire holder all the time. It needs a rust repair. It didn't fit my 15'' rim since I guess it was set up for 16'' form the 3/4. So here goes.
Attached Images

Last edited by thelonerife; 04-01-2008 at 06:49 AM. Reason: grammar.I'm not an English teacher.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
thelonerife

I cut off the smaller bracket that had the rust holes behind it. Got the rivets out. I didn't have any metal that was the right guage so I found this tool, I don't know what it is. But it looked like patch metal to me!! ha ha I cut it up and made the patch. Then put the holder on the 15'' rim for a measurement and welded the bracket on. Cleaned it up with a stripping disc on the drill and primed it.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
thelonerife

This is what the tool looks like now. Remembered i borrowed this from my neighbor!! nah I'm just kidding.. I'll paint this spare tire holder tomorrow and get an 11'' bolt that I need for it and get it out of the way. till next time.
Attached Images

Last edited by thelonerife; 04-01-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great looking build... keep it up!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #17
thelonerife

Thanks, project funds are at an all time low for me right now so I should start puting on the parts I have on hand into the truck( patches). I've noticed that I need to replace the lower kick panel , about 1 1/2 to 2'' on the bottom so I'll have to look for those soon.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:31 AM   #18
thelonerife

Got a little bit done today. I put on the right side cab corner. The fit wasn't very good. Foreign sheet metal stamping is not the best. I had to make relief cuts to make it fit right and totaly cut off the jamb lip that meets the door and weld it back on in the right position. I also drove to Ohio to pick up a 68 grill. It will need some repair but should be minimal. I put the hood fenders and grill on the truck loosely (just enough bolts) to get them out of the way. And I wanted to see what she was going to look like. I found out how to make a 69-72 core support work on a 68. I will do that mod. later.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #19
thelonerife

Okay, Got a little work done. I got the passenger front support in and the patch for the floor over it. I got the topside painted and the bottom, I still have to clean and paint. I hung a door on to line up the outer rocker but I still have to adjust the door too get it just right. its going slow I know, but i am slowly getting this side done.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #20
thelonerife

I cut out the drivers side cab corner and lower half of the support. Found a rats nest in it. got the donor one in and primed and painted it for now. will put the outer corner on next so I can finish them (cab corners) both and put the bed back on. I'm planning on priming the front clip and cab and getting it back together so i can drive it and paint it later.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #21
thelonerife

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't gotten a whole lot done. I got both outer cab corners on and filler skimmed on. Sanded and primed the rear of the cab. I did not use the donor cab corner as it had way too much filler on it. I'm debating with myself about putting my 2'' lowering blocks on now. I thinking maybe I should do the lowering at one time. What do guys recommend? All I have at this point is the lowering blocks for the rear and 2'' drop springs for the front. I am thinking of 2 1/2 ''spindles and 3'' springs to go with what I have already for a 5-4 1/2 drop,??good or bad??Also I sold the grill that I went to tinbucktoo for. I found one that was better. Currently sanding it down. Here are a few pics so far. Any suggestions on lowering welcome btw.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #22
thelonerife

Okay, I went ahead and put the 2'' lowering blocks on. I got some of my friends over and we put the bed on the truck. I put the rear bumper on also. The pics arent real good. I'll try to get some with it outside. I've ordered some parts, master cylinder brake line kit 4pc. stainless,rear inner rocker patch for drivers side, I still need to put the outer rocker on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #23
thelonerife

I put the two brake lines on and bled the brakes but one wouldn't bleed. right rear. so I'll have to look into that. I put the passenger side outer rocker on and am finishing that up. I ordered a set of ECE 2 1/2'' drop spindles today. They are backordered so I'll have to wait on them. I'll post some pics when I get some time.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
thelonerife

A few updates. I got the drivers side floor repaired and the support in. I took the lower skin off of the door and welded in a patch along the bottom lip that was rusted. Also welded up the bullet holes aka-two sets of mirror holes and custom camper trim holes.
Attached Images

Last edited by thelonerife; 07-22-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
thelonerife

I got the passenger side fender sanded down inside and out. If I didn't mention it earlier I also welded on the lower patch under the battery box. primed the outside and painted the inside of the fender.
Attached Images