The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #276
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Silver Dollar

Great looking truck - and kudos to you for doing all the work yourself. This thread motivates me to work on my junk!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #277
coggonobrien

sweet, do you have mirrors for it?
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #278
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
sweet, do you have mirrors for it?
So far I cant decide on any that I like. I would like them to fit the style of the truck, but not the stock ones. something cool but not flashy. any suggestions
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #279
coggonobrien

gotcha, i know you said not stock but i'm partial to the 71-72 chrome sporties, but it would be tough to drill holes through that nice paint.
coggonobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #280
coop34

Hey Rhino. I hope you don't mind, but I copied your fuel filler design. Turned out good, except I had some serious trouble filling it at the pump. It took me like 15 minutes to put in 10 gallons of gas! Have you tried yours yet?
coop34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #281
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop34 View Post
Hey Rhino. I hope you don't mind, but I copied your fuel filler design. Turned out good, except I had some serious trouble filling it at the pump. It took me like 15 minutes to put in 10 gallons of gas! Have you tried yours yet?
No I dont mind, in fact Im glad I did something worth copying. No I havent had a chance to take her to the gas station yet. Because I suck, iv been lazy. its been so cold here and puttin hours in at work, when get home im tired. by the time the garage warms up its time for bed. did I mention its cold. Were ass deep in snow so im not taken her out in that $hit.
Anyway, what kinda of problem did you have filling up? was the inlet to small? Is there something we can change or modify to make work better.

Last edited by mrhino; 02-06-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #282
mrhino
Account Suspended

well I did manage to get my dash Pad, vin plate and finally the seat put in today. looks pretty good the seat is very comfortable, but I thinks its a little to high. It has new and quality foam in it, so it doesnt compress very far and its just a little tall. Im only 5'7 so anybody thats taller than me might have a issue. ill have to check in to lowering it some how. but it looks sweet.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #283
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hey Mike your seat and interior turned out great! Awesome work. Keep the pics coming.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #284
67cheby
67cheby

very clean, tastefully done interior
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #285
coop34

I feel for you man. I hate the snow!

The gas just kept burping back out. I couldn't even get the pump to sit on the first lock point before it would shut off and spit gas back out of the fuel fill. I'm not sure if it's because of the size of the filler or maybe a clogged vent hose or what. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can figure out a solution.
coop34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #286
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop34 View Post
I feel for you man. I hate the snow!

The gas just kept burping back out. I couldn't even get the pump to sit on the first lock point before it would shut off and spit gas back out of the fuel fill. I'm not sure if it's because of the size of the filler or maybe a clogged vent hose or what. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can figure out a solution.
Probably because of short runs and sharp bends in the filler pipe. Those filler nozzles can be really sensitive to gas not flowing out at full force, and those bends can slow things down and cause it to back up. Diameter of the hoses or a bad vent could be a contributing factor as well, but my guess would be that it's primarily due to the angles and length of the runs between the bends rather than the other stuff that's really causing the problem.

You could try other gas stations. Some pumps are more sensitive than others.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #287
kmdracer

Nice build! Look forward to completion.
kmdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #288
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post

couldn't resist putting in my gauges, or the chrome handle.
What gauges are these? I just read your whole thread and I couldnt find anything about those pretty shiny gauges?
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #289
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post

Never Mind I see It written on the bottom of the gauge now. Classic Instruments
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #290
c10seconds

Nice work!
Posted via Mobile Device
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #291
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10seconds View Post
Nice work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! as soon as the snow breaks and we get some temps over freezing ill take some good shots of her outside, and watch the metal flake dance in the sunshine
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #292
Rooster's 67

Mike, I just read through your whole thread again, doin good work brother. Just one question, what column did you use? and what length is it cause it looks closer to the dash than stock?
dont worry warmer weather is round the corner.
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #293
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
Mike, I just read through your whole thread again, doin good work brother. Just one question, what column did you use? and what length is it cause it looks closer to the dash than stock?
dont worry warmer weather is round the corner.
Im not sure of the name brand, i picked it up a street rod show. If I remember right it is 33" long. I used a part of the stock rod and some double D rod. the column it self does sit closer to the dash, but the wheel is in a good easy to reach location. The column will slide forward a few inches if the new owner needs it too. thats one of the nice things about hotrodding, its all custom fit.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #294
mrhino
Account Suspended

The weather finally broke and it got decent here. I took the truck for its first drive. Went to get exhaust on it. It has a run problem, Im tring to work out. But Here are a few photos out on the town (muffler shop). The next drive will be to the alignment shop. plus Ill get some shots of the exhaust installed. dumb ass me didnt take any after they were done.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #295
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Looks flawless!!! congrats
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #296
spike38

Mike

Your truck is as sweet as it gets.
I hope mine turns out half as nice.

But for some smoother cornering,
You may want to move the bolts up one or two notches.
To get the angle back.

Spike
Attached Images

spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #297
mrhino
Account Suspended

I know its been awhile since my last post, so here's whats been up with the truck. when I took it to the muffler shop I had some running issues. the closer I got to the shop the worse it ran, till it wouldn't even make it into their parking lot. I shut the truck off. Told the muffler man, that I dont think it will drive into one of the bay's. I went out to start it up and give it a try and it ran fine like nothing was wrong with. after they were done, I drove it home same thing, it wouldn't go, loss of power back firing, spitting and spuddering. I had to stop a couple of times. I would shut it off and start it right back up and it would go another 1/2 mile and then the same thing. finally made it home. I thought about it awhile, and its obvisously not a mechanical problem. I figured I had either screwed up the wire harness or the PCM program was off. I call Brenden at LT1swap.com and told him my problem, he suggest I get a code reader that reads live data, and just see what all the sensors are reading. After doing so. I see the o2's are both reading odd. One is high and the other is low. I unplugged the drivers side and look at the scanner, bank 1 is still reading high bank 2 is not reading at all. Eureka! Thats it my o2's were crossed. they must have been since I built the harness. Swapped the plug in and took it for a drive. Nice, runs nice and smooth now and quite a bit power. Pulled back in the garage, to fix a few other small odds and ends. BIG Thank you to Brenden.

fast foward a few weeks, When I painted the the truck, it came out great, all except the hood. It had all kinds of stripes in it from my lack of painting skills. so I repainted it again a few months back. It turned out worse than the first time I painted it Runs and Stripes. I knew I had to repaint it, but was not looking forward to all the prep work, just to mess the paint up yet again. This time I changed a few things in my technic, I went a little faster and made sure I held the gun straight. It came out pretty good. no stripes. Got it wet sanded and buffed and installed.

Today was the day for my wheel alignment, loaded the family in the truck and headed across town. This is the first time I have drove it more than a mile or two. to say the least I was nervous and excited at the same time. I must say Im very inpressed with the way it drove and rode. It is so smooth, it takes bumps better than our family car. The engine just purred down the road. Its freakin awsome!

I told you guys I would get some pictures of the exhaust well here they are.
The one thing I wanted in a exhaust was for it not to be seen. Clean was the theme. It turned out better than I thought, I told the muffler man to leave off the tailpipes untill iI could Figure out where I wanted them to come out at, so he left them off and just put in a little turn down just before the axle. when he called me out in the shop to see if I was happy with just leaving them short like that. I said hell ya, thats exactly what I had in mind. Now with it on the ground you can't see it at all. The pipes are ran through the cross-member and they welded on hangers to keep it rattle free. If this were a daily driver I certainly would put pipes all the way out the back, and use something other than those mufflers, they are aggressive to say the least.

even when your low you cant see it.

heres a rear shot, you can barley even see the fuel tank.

speaking of noise, i couldn't make up my mind on a radio. I had a uncut dash, and didnt have the heart to cut it for a modern stereo, and I dont think a old stock radio fit the theme, so I ordered a delete plate and painted it to match the dash. I think it looks perfect in there. If the new owner wants a modern stereo he can cut the the dash.

This was also the first time I had a chance to fill up at the gas station. I know many of you are curios as to how my fuel filler in the steak pocket turned out. I know Coop34 had some issues with his. I started off slow and got progressively faster. Not knowing for sure if it would automatically shut off or come shooting out when it got full. I didnt go as fast as it could, maybe about half way. I never had any shut of problems and it filled nicely, it even shut off when it got full. after it shut off i gave it a few more pumps, then i got it to run out a little. Me and my wife made a video. (filling up at the pump) its kinda boring, and between the wind noise, traffic and the God forsaken trains that come by every 15 mins its hard to hear what is being said, but I just wanted you guys to see how it would or wouldn't fill.

Last edited by mrhino; 04-10-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #298
67C10BUB

Very cool!!! I know I am really enjoying mine after the swap. It was worth all the effort. I can't imagine selling it after all that.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #299
67cheby
67cheby

everything sure looks great in the pics...NICE WORK
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #300
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Truck turned out very nice..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote