The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #101
Lower

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

Put a mount on there and see what you get, I thought the same thing on mine but it clears just fine.
That dime looks familiar, I had one like it at one time.

Ol Green 1970 K10ish LWB,454/400/205, been in family since new.
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516056
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #102
Tinkermc

I like what you are doing so far looks real good. Nice idea on the homemade plugs for the firewall
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #103
bjcaldwe

Thanks for the tour of your truck yesterday evening. Keep up the good work.
bjcaldwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #104
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Great Job.. I ordered the same tank.. good luck on the build..

I am subscribed..
Thanks Mark, The tank is sweet! Awesome quality. I love what you've done on your K10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
Put a mount on there and see what you get, I thought the same thing on mine but it clears just fine.
That dime looks familiar, I had one like it at one time.
Nice S10 Lower, I think my trans xmember from GMCPauls places the trans a little higher and I wanted a high hump anyway thinking I will get a dropmember someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
I like what you are doing so far looks real good. Nice idea on the homemade plugs for the firewall
Thanks tinker, those slugs are machine made at work I have access to some cool equipment which I will be making some nice pieces once I'm done with the rust removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcaldwe View Post
Thanks for the tour of your truck yesterday evening. Keep up the good work.
Anytime Billy, Let me know when the next BBQ meet is, I'm all in for some eatin'. I know mcbassin has talked about it before but we need to have a meet and greet get together this summer.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #105
67c10rustbuket

Soooo whats a post without pics. Not too much progress but I have been shopping. I planned on finishing the driver side floor saturday but my daily puked up a radiator so I was foiled again. so here's what I did get done-ish

My boyd tank came in, Awesome quality- I highly recommend Boyd's welding

Met mcbassin and did a little trading, I got a ign bezel which turned out to be the wrong one. I didn't know 67 was a one year only piece. Bought the correct ign bezel and spacer from the classifieds on here. also scored an auto column from mcbassin, needs a little work but the price was right. Thanks again Mike!

Bought a high hump from a board member

made a firewall to floor repair piece to fix the rust (pics)
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #106
67c10rustbuket

And ..

Met bjcaldwe. another cool okie!

Found an oil filter adapter in my stash to eliminate the vortec oil cooler setup

buying a trans linkage from randy (teeitup) to get the shifting together

we will be scrapping the 97 tahoe in the next two weeks and I will buy: ball joints, bushings, tie rods etc. cant wait to get the front back on its own weight.

Cut my floor pan down at work on a mini shear and put the brake on the font that taiwain forgot(pic).

found a gas pedal out here on the blue 72 (pic), that is where I got my rear end axle donor. That is the wifes grandpas farm. I am going to get the sport mirrors from the blue 72 and both radios next time I go out there.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #107
67c10rustbuket

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. but here's another. Really bad pic.

What you can barely see is my barn find

The wifes grandpa was a service tech for GM for 30 some years and bought this new in 88, looks like new. Rarely driven ( I have seen him drive it maybe 5 times and we have been married 8 years!), hides it in the barns. factory plastic on the seat, no bull. Plastic on the seat. I hope to inherit this someday.

He is also hoarding a goldmine of 60-66 NOS parts because he wants another one since that was his favorite gen. He got a little excited looking at my project a few weeks ago even though he rather dislikes me doing anything different than what GM did originally. Gotta love the old guy.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #108
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice looking parts.I really like the custom patch piece you fabbed. Killer barn find too.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #109
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
nice find.
Yeah its nice. NO ONE is allowed to get in it but grandpa. seriously. They also have a 90ish caprice with plastic on the seats hiding in another barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice looking parts.I really like the custom patch piece you fabbed. Killer barn find too.
Thanks mike, I checked the cabs out for you while I was there, lets just say I could see the wheat underneath.... still a few more parts I want for mine so still a score, He is a lot more willing now to let me yank parts off of them. The school busses are full of mint used and NOS panels (I peeked).

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #110
fakerwade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Soooo whats a post without pics. Not too much progress but I have been shopping. I planned on finishing the driver side floor saturday but my daily puked up a radiator so I was foiled again. so here's what I did get done-ish

Hey, a little progress is better than no progress, it's nice to see you back on track, but I think I'd stay away from that Mcbassin character!!!

Nice barn find, hope it winds up being yours someday! Keep up the good work, looking forward to more progress.
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #111
aric70chev

Looking good lots of work but you will appreciate it more right
Posted via Mobile Device
aric70chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #112
DD1

Quote:

Met mcbassin and did a little trading, I got a ign bezel which turned out to be the wrong one. I didn't know 67 was a one year only piece. Bought the correct ign bezel and spacer from the classifieds on here. also scored an auto column from mcbassin, needs a little work but the price was right. Thanks again Mike!

Bought a high hump from a board member

made a firewall to floor repair piece to fix the rust (pics)
That piece looks really sweet. I could have probably used one of those (probably still could). Gonna try and cut metal out of my old cab and pop in the new one first.

I am guessing you have access to machine shop tools to be able to make it look so nice and perfect.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #113
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric70chev View Post
Looking good lots of work but you will appreciate it more right
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man, It has been a struggle getting rid of the rust so I can actually start "building" I like what you have done with yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
That piece looks really sweet. I could have probably used one of those (probably still could). Gonna try and cut metal out of my old cab and pop in the new one first.

I am guessing you have access to machine shop tools to be able to make it look so nice and perfect.
The firewall to floor edge piece? I made an extra set if you want them. If you make one you will screw it up so I make multiples and then I never mess them up. Thats how it goes i guess.

Not quite a machine shop, I work in the "Model Shop" of an HVAC company and I have years of experience on CNC hydraulic press brakes so I can make most anything out of sheetmetal, good skill to have when fixing these old rusty trucks.

Thanks for checking out my build, she aint much yet, but she will be soon...

I completed my last major essay for English Comp II tonight and no classes this summer so it is rock and roll time for Georgia!!! Progress pics coming this weekend!!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #114
DD1

Quote:
Thanks man, It has been a struggle getting rid of the rust so I can actually start "building" I like what you have done with yours!

The firewall to floor edge piece? I made an extra set if you want them. If you make one you will screw it up so I make multiples and then I never mess them up. Thats how it goes i guess.

Not quite a machine shop, I work in the "Model Shop" of an HVAC company and I have years of experience on CNC hydraulic press brakes so I can make most anything out of sheetmetal, good skill to have when fixing these old rusty trucks.

Thanks for checking out my build, she aint much yet, but she will be soon...

I completed my last major essay for English Comp II tonight and no classes this summer so it is rock and roll time for Georgia!!! Progress pics coming this weekend!!
Pretty cool! It's awesome that you have access to all of the tools and equipment you need to bend and shape metal. I am interested in your spare edge piece, but let's wait until I start cutting up the floor; if I take it too soon, it will be one more thing lying around for me to misplace. Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #115
yellaboi

Ok rustbucket, I'm officially hooked to your thread!!! Also Im born and raised in Tulsa,Ok but I have NEVER heard of Mustang,OK but luckily my good friend and co worker is from Weatherford,ok (didn't know where that was either) anyway keep up the good work on your truck I'm subscribed!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ar#post4534028
yellaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #116
mcbassin
Still Learning

Mustang is basically far west OKC.
The metro area just keeps growing. Before long where I live will be part of OKC metro.

Dan,
get that rust hammered out so you can get on to fun bodywork.....
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #117
DD1

I was looking through your post and saw on page 1 that you coated the inside of the cab supports with POR15. It kind of looked like you cut into the metal of the floor to allow access to the inside of the supports? Otherwise, I am wondering how you were able to get in there and coat them?

The inside of mine were nasty. A whole crap load of... well, crap, came out of them. Dust, dirt, debris, and maybe even some rotted metal parts from prior hack jobs.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #118
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaboi View Post
Ok rustbucket, I'm officially hooked to your thread!!! Also Im born and raised in Tulsa,Ok but I have NEVER heard of Mustang,OK but luckily my good friend and co worker is from Weatherford,ok (didn't know where that was either) anyway keep up the good work on your truck I'm subscribed!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Whats up yella. I was actually born in Cali but dont tell I claim to be an okie. Mustang is over yonder east of the cow pasture. Really it is just west of Will Rogers Airport, or South of I40 from Yukon. Small "city" about 6sq miles. Thanks for checkin out my rustbuket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Mustang is basically far west OKC.
The metro area just keeps growing. Before long where I live will be part of OKC metro.

Dan,
get that rust hammered out so you can get on to fun bodywork.....
I'm workin on it Mike! Almost done with the driver floor right now then on to the "B" pillar, cab corner and rocker. Working on another progress marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
I was looking through your post and saw on page 1 that you coated the inside of the cab supports with POR15. It kind of looked like you cut into the metal of the floor to allow access to the inside of the supports? Otherwise, I am wondering how you were able to get in there and coat them?

The inside of mine were nasty. A whole crap load of... well, crap, came out of them. Dust, dirt, debris, and maybe even some rotted metal parts from prior hack jobs.
Hey there buddy, I actually cut my floor exactly as you did. There was extra room over the front support because the floor was rotted, It just kinda peeled up like the shell of a hard boiled egg there. For applying the POR I initially tried the POR "dauber kit" (think fuzz ball on a coat hanger). Well they sucked, left fuzz in the POR paint and the fuzz ball was too big to get in the corners so I got a little hillbilly and taped a $2 paintbrush to a paint mixing stick and went to town. Worked out great.

Here is a teaser pic of where I left "Georgia" for the night.. No more flinstone floor One more round of welding and grinding/sanding to go!! Gotta love Taiwaneese steel, melts like butter.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #119
DD1

Quote:

Hey there buddy, I actually cut my floor exactly as you did. There was extra room over the front support because the floor was rotted, It just kinda peeled up like the shell of a hard boiled egg there. For applying the POR I initially tried the POR "dauber kit" (think fuzz ball on a coat hanger). Well they sucked, left fuzz in the POR paint and the fuzz ball was too big to get in the corners so I got a little hillbilly and taped a $2 paintbrush to a paint mixing stick and went to town. Worked out great.

Here is a teaser pic of where I left "Georgia" for the night.. No more flinstone floor One more round of welding and grinding/sanding to go!! Gotta love Taiwaneese steel, melts like butter.
Actually, I cut my floor exactly LIKE YOU. When I finally decided to take a look at your thread, I saw the pics of when you cut out the outer floor and saw that you cut around the cab supports. It is obviously the smart and only way to do it, but seeing your pics made me be a lot more careful. I could easily see myself cutting the floor, then saying "OH S**T" when the cab supports starts hanging by a steel thread.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #120
DD1

Quote:

The pic looks good. You are pretty much done with that side. Have you done or do you need to do the other side?

I am thinking I am not going to worry too much about grinding down the welds. Ideally, the floor will be covered with insulation and carpeting. No one is going to see it.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #121
Lower

Looking good man

Ol Green 1970 K10ish LWB,454/400/205, been in family since new.
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516056
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #122
Tinkermc

looking so good so far, love the donnor motor and trans and your little helper is cute as a button.wish I had access to Grandpa's stash myself, like what you said about the busses best.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #123
mcbassin
Still Learning

Rust repair looks good Dan. Nice progress.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #124
67c10rustbuket

Okay here is the dirty on my floor, it is all done and I will try to include pics of the progress. I had a hell of a time with the floor patch panel. I cut it down as small as possible where I still had good steel in my original floors. I still had to section a chunk out and make a piece to fill it in right to match the pitch going down into the kick panel. any way here it is. I cut out the old, stripped to bare steel, replaced the firewall to floor edge piece that I made (worked out nice!!) sprayed some copperweld and went to town. cut it some more and welded some more... Loading more pics be right back..
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #125
67c10rustbuket

Here it is all ground down and sanded and primed with some rattle can self etch prime for now. I finished and smoothed the kick panel and "A" pillar along with the floor section..
Attached Images