The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #101
68 short step

Re: my official 68 shortstep ls1 thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greubin View Post
Great build so far!! I noticed the A&P manual, are you working general or commercial av? I was an AP in my former life, prior to 9/11.

Keep up the gr8 work
i work on milatary aircraft.....thanks for the complaments
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 AM   #102
Kenneth_CS87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
the wiring is a harness im doing myself, and the computer will be mounted under the dash (if thats what you're asking)...... you'll have your share of obstacles too.... the easiest part of the swap is the actual mounting the engine trans in the truck.... here is a goood tool to aid in all questions to come www.ls1tech.com the conversion and hybred section....
BTW i met boyd in rockwall TX at a car auction i was attending, i thought he was a jerk, but i can say i met him...
Here A pics of my Comp mounted under the seat. Are you running a external fuel pump? I dont know what to get for my LT1 swap.

Kenneth_CS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #103
68 short step

no im useing a internal fuel pump
Old 11-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #104
GMCGRANDS

Hi 68 short step
Can you tell us all the details on the headers? How well do they fit? Any mods to make them work? Can you tell the details of brand and what they were for? Part number would be great. Do you have any pics showing the clearance of the primary tubes to the frame rails? Trucks looking good. Keep the pics coming.

05' GMC Sierra Denali LQ9
GMCGRANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #105
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCGRANDS View Post
Hi 68 short step
Can you tell us all the details on the headers? How well do they fit? Any mods to make them work? Can you tell the details of brand and what they were for? Part number would be great. Do you have any pics showing the clearance of the primary tubes to the frame rails? Trucks looking good. Keep the pics coming.
sure, look here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=198962
and here is a little more detail
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=197347
Old 11-15-2006, 01:22 AM   #106
Boise69
The Hammer Man

mmmmmmmmmm, those series of pics was like watching classical music

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Boise69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:58 AM   #107
CAL 58 GMC

Looks like everything is coming together really nicely! Keep up the good work!
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #108
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCGRANDS View Post
Hi 68 short step
Can you tell the details of brand and what they were for? Part number would be great. .
pacesetters
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=184&catid=45
they look to be onsale too.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #109
70rs/ss

I was wondering if you used a bought harness (painless, etc) or if you had yours modified? Did or do you need to reflash or reprogram the computer? I got a quote of almost a $G to rewire and reprog my comp on my 6.0 is why I am asking. I am not an idea stealer/reseller, I am genuinely intersted in how to put this $4k motor into my truck without spending another $4k!! I know the benefits of the fuel injection (or else I'd have never bought this thing) but!! d@mn it is expensive and way more a PIA than a carb will ever be.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #110
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
I was wondering if you used a bought harness (painless, etc) or if you had yours modified? Did or do you need to reflash or reprogram the computer? I got a quote of almost a $G to rewire and reprog my comp on my 6.0 is why I am asking. I am not an idea stealer/reseller, I am genuinely intersted in how to put this $4k motor into my truck without spending another $4k!! I know the benefits of the fuel injection (or else I'd have never bought this thing) but!! d@mn it is expensive and way more a PIA than a carb will ever be.
the harness is a heavily moddified stock one....the computer will need to be programmed (for instance on my application: i need VATS, EGR, EVAP, REMOVED and for driveability/ personnal preffrence im getting torque management removed and diffrent tune for a bigger cam i installed)
i also am doing the wiring myself, but getting the puter done by a professional (dyno tune)...
as far as spending a G, try jesse at wait4me.... he'll do the wireing (you supply stock harness) and reprogram the puter to your needs for about 400$ (talk to shifty on this subject, he has first hand experence )
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #111
shifty
Questionable

Budget: Wait4MePerformance: Full harness hack (you supply) and reflash for around $300 and you'll need to do add'l wiring on the harness for relays, etc. Do not expect any customer service, though.

Mid-level: Speartech: Killer harness with all fuses and relay provisions in place for around $700. Get reprogrammed from Wait4Me, about $100-150 (I forget).

Expensive: A) Painless wiring harness + Wait4Me reprogram or B) S&P (www.hotrodlane.cc) harness and pre-made/flashed PCM. Option B is the easier/better route, either one will cost you $1500 or more.

These are your options. I personally wanted to go Speartech, but beggars can't be choosers, I AM on a budget. Big plus to Speartech is it is literally plug n play - they may also have PCM's you can buy (I believe they do). They also test every harness on an engine before delivering to you to INSURE that it works.

I will probably buy a Speartech harness when the funds are available, or if my engine won't start and I think it's the wiring.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 11-15-2006 at 01:42 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #112
70rs/ss

I emailed speedscenewiring and here is what they said (found the link here somewhere I think):

Hi Mike I can reconfigure the factory harness and program the computer for 935.50. This will include all circuits operating at 100% , along with a warranty and blueprinting of the computer to the harness.

Zac / Speed Scene Wiring
Online Catalog

Not sure about how where to go, painless has a complete plug and play, that needs nothing else (has a ecm like thing that runs it all, but it is like $1200-1500) I'll look into speartech as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #113
shifty
Questionable

Painless SAYS they have a complete plug and play, but ask anyone who has used their harness in an LS1 swap into our trucks and they're gonna tell you it was a nightmare. I've heard it several times already.

If Speed Scene is offering to include all of the relays and other crap for fuel pump, cooling fans, and all inline fuses and whatnot, maybe it's worth it. Speartech already does this.

If you're going to spend half as much as your drivetrain on it, go Speartech. Everyone I've talked to at LS1tech swears by them.

I personally used (as did a couple others here) Wait4Me. They "got the job done" and I am satisfied, but, I mean, it's not totally plug and play (some wiring is required), the way you supply ignition and power to the PCM and starter is a little sloppy, their customer service is non-existant (they don't have to pay people, so no overhead which means great prices for you). I know that Jesse is very familiar with reprogramming also, but there was no support, little communication about "what possible options there are" and it was more about getting it done and getting it back than anything.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt - some of this information is relayed, based on some very strong commentary on various sources. I know, if I was gonna do it again, I would personally go Speartech. I couldn't have done it this time (budget reasons), it was hard to justify spending the same $$$ amount as a reasonable airbag setup just to get a stupid wiring harness.

If you look at my gallery (linked to the year/make of my truck in my sig) you will see that the Wait4Me harness is very clean looking and...good enough for gov't work.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #114
70rs/ss

I just clicked on speartech's site and they make a factory harness plug and play for 450, maybe that what I'll do. I think that is what speedscene was offering at the same price, just not sure if they will end up the same, if speartech is the "best" then I'll look into them, I just want to be able to use the d@mn motor! It is still sitting on the crate it was delivered on a couple of months ago!! I'll let you know when/if I decide!!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #115
shifty
Questionable

Sorry, I must have been confused, I thought the $450 one is something you ship to them and they convert for you. You can buy a brand new one from them for ~$700

Like I said, I would go Speartech for a mid-range-budget solution. The quality of their part is superior to anything I've ever seen.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #116
shifty
Questionable

PS - try having everything but the clutch, radiator hoses and fuel lines done, and having your truck be that way for a couple months, then come back and talk to me about using your damn motor

(i.e. I feel your pain, but you can get a lot done now W/O the harness!!)

Old 11-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #117
70rs/ss

I just clicked on speartech's site and they make a factory harness plug and play for 450, maybe that what I'll do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Sorry, I must have been confused, I thought the $450 one is something you ship to them and they convert for you. You can buy a brand new one from them for ~$700
Yeah, that's what I meant they make (your original oem) harness into a plug and play for $450 my harness is brand new like the motor, so for a savings of a couple hundred bucks I'll send mine in and have it done, then they rework the comp for less than the new harness alone ($450 for rework of my harness and a reprogram of comp for like $250) I am interested in a true plug and play, once I start I want it running within a few weeks. I am sising out and using he 4l80e, although a TKO 500 would be fun!! Maybe I'll use the TKO 500 in my Camaro with the LT1, but that's a whole other money pit!!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #118
shifty
Questionable

Please keep us posted - maybe start a buildup thread? TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!

You should have a very easy time with the setup you're using. If you need a factory auto tranny xmember, let me know. I have one all done up and ready to go that I'm not gonna use.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #119
70rs/ss

Yeah, I have a standard in it now so I'll need one. I just got another truck (I told the wife I'd sell some of my stuff off) I sold the 74 3/4 ton 4X4 Burb and traded my 68 Burb that was rolled, but I traded it for a running short stepper!! Then I bugged the neighbor about a long fleet 4X4 3/4ton GMC so he gave it to me!! Now, I am back where I started!! I have to short steps and a short fleet 4X4, so I am trying to decide which one to build (thinking one of the 2wd short steps but with the fleetside off the 4X4. I'll post some picts of the new addidtions to the heard as well as the 6.0/4l80e install. Waiting for more picts of the one on this thread!! I am closely watching cause this is a truck motor so mine will go just like this (fuel lines and all!!)
Old 01-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #120
68 short step

ok i got the trans cooler all plumbed up.... finished the electric fan brackets (one on the pass side was fun... i had to make an extension to hold the intake tube assembly) also got the intake tube assembly on... i installed the mufflers with the turn downs right before the rear axle..... buttoned up the rear end with a richmond no-slip powertrax posi unit.....( despite the debate here on there performance, i think its a good product, hope im right..)
new brake lines on the rear connecting the calipers... put a new hidden hitch on (hides behind the rear bumper, flip the tag down to reveal the receiver)... and lastly modded and installed the drop out bat. box on the frame... ( bat box is in the "dropped" position so it reallly wont hang that low while driveing.... and will be totally hidden behide the rear fender when the beds installed.....

Last edited by 68 short step; 01-10-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #121
68 short step

fan brackets still need to be painted... also just noticed how dirty this thing is, and plan on washing it soon..
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #122
Boog
laying low

Yeah wash it up. You'll be wanting to put that cab back on there before long.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #123
harmsy

Looks like you gotta a lot of work ahead of you, But will be worth it in the end.
Good Luck and hope the other half keeps lending you a helping hand....
harmsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #124
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Yeah wash it up. You'll be wanting to put that cab back on there before long.
yea the cab is getting done..... it'll be a smoothed firewall (except the PB booster and master) keepin the wing windows and drip rails (keeps the "older" look i like)
Old 01-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #125
dishow

if you still have the rear rims in this pic would you like to sell them????
Attached Images

93 chevy camaro z28 auto t-tops
2013 Chevy Silverado LT CCSB 4x4
dishow is offline   Reply With Quote