The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
71swb4x4

I want to lift mine 4", complications?

I want to lift my SWB Fleet 4". I will be doing it with new springs and shocks. What else do I need to worry about? Will the driveshaft angle be wrong? Will I need new brake lines? Anything else?
Thanks!
Shawn

Last edited by 71swb4x4; 09-17-2004 at 11:18 AM. Reason: mspl
71swb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
wildwood

You will also need either a raised steering arm or a drop pitman arm. If you buy a kit, it should come with one of these. Your brakes may be OK with 4" lift. If not, you can either get extended brake lines, or you could just relocate your steel lines under your frame with a bracket. The drive shaft angle will be sharper so make sure the joints are good. With 4" you shouldn't have to extend your drive shafts, but make sure they're not too close to the end of their travel. When the suspension is hanging with the axle in the air (frame lifted) there should still be at least a little travel left in the shafts. Do your lift on a level plane.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Scrubby
Check out GMTrucks.org

Just to warn you, you might have to extend your drive lines. When I lifted my blazer 4 inches, everyone said the drive lines would be fine. Well, they were way too short and I had to have them extended.

I am still having problems with my e-brake cables. They are still not hooked up. I am going to have to fab a bracket lower on the frame to get them to work I think.

On the driveshaft angle, I got a set of 0 rate blocks machined to the 3 degrees I needed to correct the pinion angle. They also cured the "saggy butt" I had with just the new springs in back.
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote