The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2022, 03:10 AM   #1
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Re: pdx-sanity66

Coming together nicely. Keep up the good work!
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE View Post
Coming together nicely. Keep up the good work!
Thanks. It's getting close now.

I've started getting the door glass and wing windows restored and ready to install when I'm ready for them. I've got the wing windows taken apart and ready for glass bead blasting.
The one thing I'd like some input on are this set of side window trim that I got off of my C60. They are in excellent shape , very straight and only a very small amount of surface rust on the braces. Are these a rare or desirable part? I've mostly seen them on the GMCs. I like the look but
I'd also be willing to sell them if it's worth it.
I finally may have found a painter to get the roof painted. If so, this is a major step forward to getting the truck on the road.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

I don't it's a part you can get off the shelf.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Those window frames are for the laminated side glass. The weatherstripping is different for each window. The regular stuff sold for 65-66 is too thick for those frames and even the glass. A local guy has those in his truck and was still having issues with the windows being too tight in the weatherstripping.

Definitely something that will sell to the person who needs them though

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Those window frames are for the laminated side glass. The weatherstripping is different for each window. The regular stuff sold for 65-66 is too thick for those frames and even the glass. A local guy has those in his truck and was still having issues with the windows being too tight in the weatherstripping.

Definitely something that will sell to the person who needs them though
Yes, I realize that, I will probably sell them at some point. Most of all, I just wanted to see if anybody might be interested. thanks for pointing out all of the downsides of them.

I think I might have found a painter to get the roof painted so I can get the windshield in. That will be a major step since I will then be able to drive the truck more than around my yard. I also may have found a place to get tinted door, wing, and rear glass. I've got the interior about done so I am started getting the door parts restored and installed.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #6
cwcarpenter98

I know AutoMetalDirect has started selling glass for the 60-66 trucks. I think they have tinted glass too, but if you have found someone more local, that'll definitely be easier. I hope your potential painter works out!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #7
pdxhall

One thing I would like to know is does the factory tinted windows have UV protection or would I be better off having the windows film tinted? I know there have been many improvements over the years but I haven't done much research on them. Living in Tucson, there are MANY places to get them tinted so I'm curious.

I've got my wing windows taken apart. Ready for clean up and new for restoration. I also have been working on the shift boot. I added the brushed stainless top that was on my other boot and I've got a sponge gasket made. I need to trim a small piece of the floor and drill the mounting holes before mounting in the truck.
I have also been fitting the bed wood to the bed so I can drill the necessary holes. It still needs some adjustment.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #8
pdxhall

When I started working on the bed wood, I drug out the lift I made when I first mounted the bed. It had been sitting out under a mesquite tree for about 4 years. It worked well to lift the bed high enough to fit the wood. Then the lift broke. One of the 2x4s gave way. Luckily the bed was barely lifted so there was no damage. So I've been reengineering a new lift so I can continue. Hopefully I can finish the alignment of the wood and get the holes marked. I'm about ready to take the truck to have the roof painted white.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
clemdaddy

Good job and lots of progress. Getting everything sealed up with the glass is a major step, suddenly you're weather proof. Are you painting the roof just between the drip rails or bringing the white down to below the windows?
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #10
roll_the_dice

Looking good! Love to see good progress! How hard was it to remove the steering wheel metal pieces that separate the colors and reinstall them? I have a wheel like that I want to restore, but have procrastinated for fear of not being able to get those little rings back on tight enough.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #11
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
Good job and lots of progress. Getting everything sealed up with the glass is a major step, suddenly you're weather proof. Are you painting the roof just between the drip rails or bringing the white down to below the windows?
Thanks, the white will be along the line of a standard 2-tone truck so there is that small portion along the door below the side window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looking good! Love to see good progress! How hard was it to remove the steering wheel metal pieces that separate the colors and reinstall them? I have a wheel like that I want to restore, but have procrastinated for fear of not being able to get those little rings back on tight enough.
Thanks, things a going pretty quick right now. The roof paint will be a game changer. I was worried about the clips also, but they pulled right off with no problem. Just get behind one of the ends and give it a little help to get it started. I needed to patch on the backside of each clip. They have some small bumps on the sides that help hold them on and tight. After the paint, they pushed back on and they are tight. I was worried about putting them back on. I thought I might need a little glue but it was not needed.
For today it will be more work on the bed. I've got Bed Lift II done. The new design will help get the bed just high enough that I can get the outside boards adjusted and then the rest of them. I had about a 1 inch gap when I got all of the boards in. I made some adjustments and I'm ready to try again. I am sure that when everything gets painted I'm going to find some friends to lift it back on the frame.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #12
roll_the_dice

Thanks...I need to just get out there and do it!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:39 AM   #13
pdxhall

I finally got the bed squared up and the wood and strips fit perfect. This was not a job for the faint of heart trying to do this with the bed on the truck but once I got it lifted and square it went well. I got all the necessary bolt holes marked and then took everything apart for drilling and finishing. AS I mentioned on the general forum "My Sanity has left the building". The truck is at the painters getting the roof painted. Then the game changes, it opens up the opportunity to finally get Sanity on the road.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #14
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I finally got the bed squared up and the wood and strips fit perfect. This was not a job for the faint of heart trying to do this with the bed on the truck but once I got it lifted and square it went well. I got all the necessary bolt holes marked and then took everything apart for drilling and finishing. AS I mentioned on the general forum "My Sanity has left the building". The truck is at the painters getting the roof painted. Then the game changes, it opens up the opportunity to finally get Sanity on the road.
Making sure everything got bolted down square would have been my concern also.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:39 PM   #15
pdxhall

Yes, it took me about 3 days to get it right. The tolerances are very close.

Old 04-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #16
pdxhall

Not too much to report today. While the truck is away I decided to give the shop a little cleaning and reorganizing. I've got some bead blasting to do so I dug the cabinet out but it looks like I need a new pair of gloves. I
I've got a bunch of parts I will be selling all sorted out and I've got a bunch of parts to ready for installation. Glass is next and some of the parts are waiting to be blasted. I've got the work done on the tailgate and it is ready for more epoxy. and I've got a couple of small dents to remove in the inside door panels and I will spray them again with the tailgate. I'm kind of over posting on this thread since a seldom get any replies or comments. The main reason I'm still here is that my family in Oregon likes to see the progress. The site just isn't like it used to be before I took a 3 year break when I retired, moved, and got my shop built.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #17
cwcarpenter98

Nice! Looks like it's ready for a windshield now

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 04-20-2022, 01:11 PM   #18
Braunschweiger

Yes, yes, I read everything so far and think their work is great. This forum lives from the reports, don't let them stop you.

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:26 PM   #19
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I agree this forum has changed but I think there are still plenty of people checking out your build. Probably like me, just don't comment much.

Any reason for painting the roof first, other than being able to install the glass? I'm about to start paint on my 64 Suburban and it will be two tone.
Thanks for looking in. I have finished almost everything else I could do until I did the windshield and back glass. The main reason is to drive the truck and get mechanicals all tested in and get a front end alignment. I can then get the truck inspected and licensed. If I wanted to paint the rest of the truck first. All the painters are booked up for about 6 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Yes, yes, I read everything so far and think their work is great. This forum lives from the reports, don't let them stop you.
Thanks, it would be nice if a few of the "lookers on" would comment once in a while, it really helps with the motivation.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #20
350TacoZilla

I'm a lurker that checks the site almost daily but I don't want to clog up peoples builds too much with the nice truck comments. I always found it hard to decide how much is supporting the build by commenting and how much is too much that it feels I'm just taking away from the build you know? It's like using sarcasm on the internet, sure sometimes someone gets it but other times it's misinterpreted as being an A-hole.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #21
FamilyTruckster65

We look. Taco hit the nail on the head. I don't post much, but I do enjoy watching others with their builds.
FamilyTruckster65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:52 PM   #22
Johns66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I'm a lurker that checks the site almost daily but I don't want to clog up peoples builds too much with the nice truck comments. I always found it hard to decide how much is supporting the build by commenting and how much is too much that it feels I'm just taking away from the build you know? It's like using sarcasm on the internet, sure sometimes someone gets it but other times it's misinterpreted as being an A-hole.

Congratulations on your build very nice, I have been motivated to continue with mine when I see other people getting their builds done.

Thanks for the photos and information.
Johns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #23
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Thanks. I appreciate that and I don't think it will stop me from posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I understand. I don't expect people to comment on everything but just a word now and then does help with motivating me to continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster65 View Post
We look. Taco hit the nail on the head. I don't post much, but I do enjoy watching others with their builds.
Thanks for checking in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns66 View Post
Congratulations on your build very nice, I have been motivated to continue with mine when I see other people getting their builds done.

Thanks for the photos and information.
Thanks, I know what you mean. It's a motivator all right and if I do something stupid, I would expect to be called out on it for an explanation or my reasoning in doing what I've done. This build has been pretty disjointed. There are reasons I went the route I did. I know it's been a long road but I'm having fun still and seeing an end in sight has got me excited.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #24
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I'm still here and checking in on your build. You were there for me posting interest in my build thread also.
I've followed your journey from when you first got it living here in Oregon and up to date.
Keep it up. And thanks for sharing.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #25
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I've been so stinkin busy with life I barely have time to even post about my own truck. I'm the same way lately, I check over the builds and rarely comment these days. I've been trying to sit down and read through builds though as I've gotten alot of inspiration and ideas from this forum. Either way keep on posting and I'll be dropping in often as I can. Cab and truck are looking great!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote