The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
cherokeejohn

Door Speakers "No Holes Required!"

Well I needed more sound for my tunes in my truck. I like the ides of speakers in the doors. It's used in the majority of all vehicles today. I'm not to fond of the kick-panel set ups as they seem to get, kicked frequently(thus the name kick- panel. Well I was at my old body shop the other day and in the back lot there was a totaled Nissan Frontier. I happened to notice the 6x9 speaker in the door. The door panel was removed or gone???, but the speaker sat out away from the door itself. Upon closer examination i saw that there was a plastic speaker box that was riveted to the door and the speaker was mounted inside of the plastic box/housing. I asked my friend, the owner about it and he replied "it's crusher bound so if u want it, u remove it". well when i drilled the 4 rivets and removed it i saw what I had hoped. No Hole for the Speaker Magnet!. I grabbed the other side also. I mounted them with my # way Pioneer 6x9s today to the doors of my 72 and ran a quick wire connection to the head unit and Whalla!!! When you see the pics please keep in mind that I will be making my own cover/lower panel also to include a cup holder and a small pouch area. I will continue to add more pics as progress continues. My truck is a daily driver so at least I will be able to drown out my own voice nows as I am singing along to my tunes.
Attached Images

Last edited by cherokeejohn; 06-12-2015 at 09:47 PM.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Door Speakers "No Holes Required!"

That's a good find. GM did the same thing on the square bodies. They are hard to find, but I have a set I bought for my '85 Jimmy I never installed. On my '67 I'm mounting 6x9s right into the doors and I won't need to cut a thing. How's that? Someone already did it for me! I bought '67 doors in great shape, except for speaker holes for $75@. Others turned their noses up to them and I have a great pair of doors with speakers right where you want them. I cut many a door for speakers. I'm sure it's what GM would have done if they put stereos in trucks back then

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-13-2015 at 07:13 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
hdff

You think the kick panel speakers get kicked a lot these look like they will be worse. To me a hole in the door is a hole in the door no matter what size, screw,magnet or speaker. It's your truck and if you like it that's all that matters!,,

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Before the restoration I had some boxes that I put on the floor of my '66. It worked out pretty well and they didn't get kicked much.
Attached Images

“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote