The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
72farmer

Please help on loose 63 steering column

I just bought a 63 straight shift on the column c10.It has a turn signal switch mounted with a hose clamp to the side of the column.The steering column shaft inside the column is very loose and steering wheel has a lot of play when you move it up and down.
I tore into it and was gonna try to get a new turn signal switch to put back like factory and also tighten up the shaft.Since I believe it may be more trouble and also one of the 3 tabs that holds turn signal switch housing is broke off.What holds this housing from turning?I may just leave the stand alone turn signal switch alone.
I would like to tighten up the shaft with a new bearing bushing or whatever goes in there.You can see the gap on the shaft in the last pic.Where could I find this part?Also look at the same pic and see one of the 3 tabs are broke off at (about the 9 oclock position) and missing.Is this the right bearing/bushing?
Attached Images

Last edited by 72farmer; 06-05-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add pics
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
chevylookin

Re: Please help on loose 63 steering column

Ive always had to live with a little up and down play on my 64 steering wheel. No more than an 1/8th of an inch I guess. That I can deal with. But, its the actual steering play that I will always tackle until it is as tight as a preachers you-know-what in a hog's you-know-what. I have a floor shifter so I dont have to deal with the column shift stuff that you must contend with. As far as I know, the tube that the steering shaft rides through is mounted tight underneath with the big bracket that the emergency brake attaches to, the other column pieces attach to the end of that and the bearing on the turnsignal switch keeps everything pretty well stable. Your switch has definitely gave up the ghost and the aftermarket switches are ok, I guess, but I had to do alot of finageling to get mine to not bind and cancel properly. How much up and down play are you talking about?
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
chevylookin

Have you seen this video a guy posted a lil over a year ago.: https://youtu.be/Vkk_fM-QHns He feels your pain. There is literally zero video support for these old trucks when it comes to factory steering columns. Only a bunch of Ididit stuff. Look in the comment section as there is a person who left a remark that you might be able to visualize better than I can with my simple floor shifter column. HTH.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Captmatt

The plastic turn signal mechanism has a bearing pressed into it for the steering shaft. You can also buy them separately from many of the parts catalogs. That being said, the steering assembly has the solid shaft and two tubes. The inner shift tube and the outer tube that you see in your photos. Remove your shifter arm and that cup will slide up / off. Now you can see the inner and outer tube. There is a plastic washer that keeps everything lined up and tight. These are many times missing and I've looked everywhere including this site for a replacement with zero luck. Search lugnutz65 on this site, he has a great write up on disassembly of these columns . The bearing assembly you included as a photo is for a different vintage truck
Attached Images

Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Captmatt

Another pic.....and your photo is the correct bearing for a '63
Attached Images

Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
62 Barnfind

I was having a few problems with mine also. My 62 had a problem with a turn signal switch that never worked right and the gears were hanging. I finally broke down and bought a I did it steering column and it fixed all my issues. One of the best things I ever did to the truck. You will have to put in a floor shift but thats easy to do. The column comes with the harness adapter for your year and its plug and play.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Lugnutz65

I rebuilt my 65 steering column and unless the 63 is VERY different, I may be able to help.
Let's get familiar with the terminology I use.

Pistoning = the steering rod slides inside the steering sleeves toward and
away from your chest.

Wobble = side to side movement towards the doors or up and down towards the floor or windshield.

Are you experiencing Wobble or Pistoning?

The column has several adjustment features. There are 2 bolts that secure the column sleeve to the under dash support bracket. (3rd picture).

The spring and clamp inside the engine bay is just beneath the lower bearing and adjusts to prevent pistoning. (4th photo - please ignore my U-joint)

If the upper and lower bearings are bad, you will see wobble. Especially if the upper bearing isn't seated properly.

The shift collar has an adjustment screw as well. (2nd picture).

These photos might inspire a few questions.

Lastly, I have a 1963 with an untouched column and can show actual 1963 photos as well.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
72farmer

Wobble,I believe the bearing/bushing that I need will go in the top of the tube in your 2nd pic the one where you can see your hand.Please help I have been searching the net all night with no luck.TIA!
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72farmer View Post
Wobble,I believe the bearing/bushing that I need will go in the top of the tube in your 2nd pic the one where you can see your hand.Please help I have been searching the net all night with no luck.TIA!
The bushing in the photo below only provides support to the lower edge of the shift collar. The assembly consists of a metal ring and a plastic bushing. The plastic bushing provides a small amount of support beneath the shift collar so the shift collar doesn't piston (when properly adjusted).

In the photo you can see the outer column sleeve and the inner shifter tube. The actual steering shaft doesn't come in contact with the pieces in the photo because it lives inside the shifter tube.

In principle, the shift collar support bushing doesn't control wobble of the steering shaft.

Steering shaft wobble is controlled by the upper and lower shaft bearings. If either the upper or lower bearing is bad, then the steering shaft will wobble, especially if the upper bearing is bad, or if the upper bearing has slipped out of place somehow.

If you are missing the bushing or adjustment ring in the photo below, I doubt they are reproduced. You could maybe find one from a donor who plans to replace their column with a more modern version. However, I doubt replacing it will solve the wobble. I would look more carefully at the condition and adjustment of the upper shaft bearing to find the solution.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote