The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
KyleSeal

What to do with engine out (rebuild? clean?)

Got my 350 out the other day. Runs okay, burns oil and leaks oil (we think around rear main seal) so I'm looking to use this time to do some work to it.

I cant afford a full on rebuild, but want to do this engine some good.

My questions: whats some light work I can do to this engine to help her run better? Why does my oil smell like gas? Are there any smaller rebuild kits that will help me keep her running good if not better?
I'm not a penny pincher, if its a sensible purchase with clear benefits, I'll go for it. But if I can just clean and reassemble and have it run better, that'd be great.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: What to do with engine out (rebuild? clean?)

Your oil smells like gas because your carb is leaking after shut down and it trickles past the rings. Stock 40 year old Q-jet? Fuel in the oil is bad... it will eat up your bearings.

If it's the stock 40 year old worn out engine... there isn't much you can do to it. It's burning oil and probably needs new valve guides and seals. But if you freshen up the top end, it will suck oil past the worn out rings and you will still have a mosquito fogger.

Just clean it up. replace the leaking rear seal, and do a full on tune up. Get your carb looked at or rebuilt. If it is in fact an old Q-jet, chances are the well plugs in the bottom are leaking and it will also need to have the throttle bores rebushed.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
KyleSeal

It's actually a new(ish) Edelbrock carb. 4 barrel. Would you happen to have a kit in mind? Possibly a link I could take a look at.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
GRX

Now is the best time to replace all the freeze plugs while you can get to them easily.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
bigmac73

actually you can get a re ring kit with rings, bearings, gaskets for less than a hundred bucks, that is what I would do, tear it down, clean everything up and replace if done right I think it would last you until you are ready to upgrade

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...-000/overview/
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
dougf

You are about where I am at. Don't want to tear down my '75 350 but want to stop the leaks. I'm running a bunch of seafoam through it, pulling it, cleaning, freeze plugs, replace dented and leaky oil pan, seals, paint, and throwing it back in.
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote