The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

XM radio

Has anybody used those direct connect kits that hook your satelite radio to you after market radio. My radio has the aux port on the front of the radio, but with volume all the way up it still isnt as loud as a cd, and the same thing with the satelite radios built in fm thingamajig. I just want to know what the volume was like with a direct connect kit before I bought it. Also, if someone knows of a kit that will hook the satelite radio and an mp3 player to the radio, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Buffrock

Re: XM radio

I have a sirrius in my pick-up but I think the menu's are pretty much the same, There should be an audio level adjustment in the menu somewhere. I hooked up the preouts (RCA) from mine into an aftermarket head unit as well, but the output voltage is very weak (not enough volume) even with the audio adjustment up. Went by to FM modulator (FM thingamajig)
Buffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffrock View Post
I have a sirrius in my pick-up but I think the menu's are pretty much the same, There should be an audio level adjustment in the menu somewhere. I hooked up the preouts (RCA) from mine into an aftermarket head unit as well, but the output voltage is very weak (not enough volume) even with the audio adjustment up. Went by to FM modulator (FM thingamajig)
My satelite radio does have an audio level adjustment as well, but even with it being on level 5 (highest level) it still isnt satisfactory. They make these kits that plug into the antenna hole on the factory or after market radios then the truck antenna wire plugs into the thing in the kit, which is suppose to help, but I dont know anyone that has used one.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Buffrock

I've never seen that kit, sounds like that could work well for you though. My only concern is I don't think it will increase your volume, just help get rid of static caused by using FM. If you try one let us know, I'm sure that static bothers everyone using these FM mods.
Buffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Hook'em

We think you should try the kit and report back.

I have XM though RCA jacks and it is not near as loud as the radio.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em View Post
We think you should try the kit and report back.

I have XM though RCA jacks and it is not near as loud as the radio.
Probably wont be able to buy it till next month, but I will post if it helps or if its worthless. You guys want me to post the results in truck audio or the review board section?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
7T2

I use the FM antenna adaptor with my Sirius radio and Sony head unit.

The reason the FM Direct interface was created was because a few years ago the FCC made satellite radio companies tone down their FM modulators because they were too powerful and interfering with other peoples radios nearby. What the FM Direct adaptor does is break the connection between your car antenna and the radio using a relay, so that when your satellite receiver is on the only station your car radio can pick up is the one that your modulator is broadcasting on.

To put it in simpler terms, imagine that every time you turn on your satellite radio, a little dashboard gnome reaches up and unplugs your antenna from your radio and plugs in your satellite radio in it's place. Now the only signal going into your radio is the signal from your satellite receiver. When you switch back to regular radio he switches everything back. When you're not using your car, he works in your refrigerator turning the light on and off every time you open the door.

Anyway, the device is $20 and works like a champ. I highly recommend it.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*

Last edited by 7T2; 12-06-2007 at 08:15 PM.
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Thanks 7T2.