The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Amp hook up kits

I have an 800 watt amp for my 2 12's, and want to know what you guys think is the best kit to get, and where to get it. I dont think I should get anything smaller than 4 gauge. Thanks in advance for your input.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Amp hook up kits

I would recommend Stinger products, as they have always worked well for me in the past. They are a little pricey, but the quality is amazing.

Just my $.02.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 12-17-2007 at 06:17 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
72 cheyenne pdx

I have never bought a kit. I always piece mine together. I would go to a local car stereo shop as they have spools of power/ground wire in the back and will sell it by the foot.

You could get away with using 4ga wire with an 800W system, but I would do the following.

2ga minimum on power and ground. I would probably do at least 1/0 because I can see myself adding another amp, and so I don't have to run wire again, I would compensate for future changes. I use monster cable for my RCA's. Some people think they are over rated/over priced, but I think they have some great stuff. You will also need an inline fuse or breaker. I like using a breaker over the fuse, but that is just me. I usually run a fuse block that is installed next to the Amp for future use if I decide to go with multiple Amps. If the wiring in you truck is original, I would probably replace the main ground to the battery as well as the main power wire to the battery.

Anyways, good luck with the install.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

completely!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
I have never bought a kit. I always piece mine together. I would go to a local car stereo shop as they have spools of power/ground wire in the back and will sell it by the foot.

You could get away with using 4ga wire with an 800W system, but I would do the following.

2ga minimum on power and ground. I would probably do at least 1/0 because I can see myself adding another amp, and so I don't have to run wire again, I would compensate for future changes. I use monster cable for my RCA's. Some people think they are over rated/over priced, but I think they have some great stuff. You will also need an inline fuse or breaker. I like using a breaker over the fuse, but that is just me. I usually run a fuse block that is installed next to the Amp for future use if I decide to go with multiple Amps. If the wiring in you truck is original, I would probably replace the main ground to the battery as well as the main power wire to the battery.

Anyways, good luck with the install.
I will go down to the local stereo store tomorrow and get some prices. What brand do you use for power and ground wire? If I do add another amp it would only be for some 6x9's or something along that line, and some tweeters, if its safe to hook tweets to an amp. If I do put another small amp in my truck, would I have to get a more powerful alternator?
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
Old 12-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
I would recommend Stinger products, as they have always worked well for me in the past. They are a little pricey, but the quality is amazing.

Just my $.02.
I concur. I used a Stinger kit earlier this year, and it made the installation easier.
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
72 cheyenne pdx

Sorry for the delay in your request.
I use Phoenix Gold power/ground wire.

I forgot to say that you will also need a remote turn wire for the amp(s) as well in my first post, but you probably already knew that.

You can put tweets on an amp, but if you do that, you will need a x-over to filter out the lower frequencies. A new alternator would help, but may not be neccessary. I don't know what yours is outputting. You can also put a 1 farad capacitor inline with the power wire. That will help.

Good Luck

Last edited by 72 cheyenne pdx; 12-21-2007 at 01:18 PM.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Well I got an install kit as a christmas present. My dad didnt want to spend alot on a kit, and I've tried (in the past) "just give me the money you would've spent, and I'll use that towards what I want" that usually ends with me getting nothing. So I found a Raptor kit at the local audio store for $52.
It came with:
17' 4 gauge
3' 4 gauge
8' 8 gauge
3' 8 gauge
1 power distribution block/2 40 watt?amp? fuses and a double fuse holder
1 ground distribution block
1 100 watt?amp? fuse and holder
17' junk speaker wire, so I bought 6' 10 gauge speaker wire
1 17' rca cable
17' remote wire
The kit does a pretty good job pushing my 12's, my back window vibrates and makes noise, so this month I will be building a center console box, which will have more air space. I will buy some of that pillow stuffing and see how that makes it sound. With a little messing around I should get the sound I'm looking for. Thanks for all your suggestions, and may you have a great year.

Last edited by get me on the road; 01-03-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot an r
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Glad to hear it turned out well. I have seen alot of those kits work well for beginners. It takes alot of the thinking out of the project and allows you to just dive in and do it.

I don't think changing to a cetner console type box is going to change anything as far as the window vibration. It's mroe than likely caused by the SPL from the subs. You can try and lay up some sound deadener ont he back wall and see if that helps.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote