The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
chris71

stereo troubleshooting

guys the PO put a new jvc cd player in the glove box, hooked it up to a pos speaker, when you turn on the head unit, it will play music for like a second or two and then no sound, the lights are still on on the face plate, just no sound. every once and a while i will turn it on and it will be fine for like a half hour then crap out again. sometimes i will turn it right off and then turn it on and it will be ok for a while. does this sound like it is the head unit crapping out? unfortuneatly i dont have a spare speaker laying around to test to see if it is the speaker. any input?
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
Classic69
Love That '69

Re: stereo troubleshooting

It could be the POS speaker you mentioned. But, you might wanna check the lead wires going from the head unit to the speaker. Make sure they are wired together properly, soldered good, and taped up so they don't touch any other piece of metal and short out the connection. Other than that I dunno.

1969 Chevy C/10 Truck - SBC V8, TH-350, 3.73 Posi, 1000W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System, Dynomax Headers, Lowered 1" Front & 3" Rear, Front/Rear Sway Bars, Racing Seats, 6000K HID Headlights

2008 Chevy Colorado LT - 3.7L I5, 4 Speed Automatic, Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71 Off-Road Package, "Ground Effects" Package, K&N Cold Air Intake, Supermod PTB, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Resonator, 500W Kenwood / Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Custom LED Lighting, 6000K HID Low's / High's, Blackcat Customs Gauges / Needles, Carbon Fiber Interior Accents, KrFabs 2" Lift Shackles / Torsion Bar Crank with Rancho RS5000 Shocks, Superskids Skid Plates
Classic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
dirtyd_nd

I had pretty much the same thing happen to a system I put in the wife's 4runner. It would turn on, play for a few seconds then no sound. I thought the head unit was going bad cause it didn't kill the power, just the sound. It ended up being the spot a used for a ground for the amps. The floor and nut had a plastic coating on it. Stripped both spots and it worked like a champ. Not too sure if you have an amped system, but I would check the ground wire for the head unit and amp(if you have one).
Dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
michael bustamante

could be that a speaker wire is touching bare metal and grounding itself out. Very poss. since you only have 1 speaker hooked up. especially on a custon install like in a glove box. Also reposition the ground. theres plenty of metal to ground up to on these ol trucks. dont give up on the head unit just yet.

Last edited by michael bustamante; 01-07-2008 at 06:51 AM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
corn

It could be a few things. Check the ground first. Some aftermarket stereos ground better through the antenna & makes a small gorund loop sometimes. Also, check to make its not getting hot in the glove box. The thing that I think it probably is, is the fact that you only have one speaker hooked up. Either they hooked up left & right channels together but it can act funky just because theres only one hooked up too. If both channels are hooked together, it probably burned up one of the channels in the unit. Check the balance control, with only one it may be causing problems. Hard to say really...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Like some of the others have said, bad ground is the most likely candidate...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I'll echo the ground. Sometimes we forget that no current is going to come through the power lead unless it can exit through the ground.

As a very basic answer -- that behavior indicates that the output stage of the amplifier is overheating. This can be caused by several things:
  • Location of unit is not sufficiently ventilated
  • Unit has a fault
  • Too much load

The most common cause is the last one; too much load. This can be caused by running speakers that have very low impedance (or by running several speakers in parallel which effectively lowers impedance.)

It can also be caused by a faulty speaker that has a "partial short," again; effectively lowering total impedance.

The IC amplifier that is built into a head unit probably doesn't generate enough heat to overheat itself in the glovebox (unless you have a bunch of hoo-haa packed in around it.)

You can bench-test the speaker with a multimeter. A minimum of 4 ohms (and more likely 8) is best for the built in amps on most head units.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....

Last edited by panhandler62; 01-09-2008 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling errors
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
chris71

well, i stumbled across some 4 inch speakers that i had laying around from a previous project that i had totally forgotten about and hooked one up making sure the conections were good and all that. it works good now, as good it can out of one 4 in. at least i have tunes!!!!! the ground turned out to be good. i wouldnt have guessed that it was the speaker causing it. thanksfor the help guys.
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote