The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

GOOD DEAL... or not??? blings...

Ok, so the K5 is staying. Done deal. It is going to get carted up and moved with me.

Now, I have acquired a 2" body lift, front Tuff Country 6" springs and 2" rear blocks (already have 4" rear springs) with new poly body mounts. This stuff would have gone with the K5, but now I am going to install it all.

I can get a VERY VERY GOOD deal on brand new (500 miles) 20x9" wheels with 36x13.5x20 Super Swamper IROKs. Now, a good deal doesn't mean the right deal right?

I was going to get some 37" GY MTR's after the additional 4" of lift and put on my Enkei 15" wheels. However if I sell my 15x10" Enkeis with the 33's currently mounted, the cost for the above set will cost me what 37's would.

I have such mixed feelings, I cannot decide whether to move forward or not. Unfortunately this isn't a try and buy. It's a straightforward buy only- hence the good deal.

So, killer deal with 36's on 20's or just pass?

I can't find ANY pictures as a decent reference to judge. Sometimes I see the big wheels on lifted trucks and they look pretty cool, and sometimes I don't like it. I am not a big bling bling guy, but this could be a pretty interesting look- A mix of old and new!
redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
crews
It just doesn't matter

It kind of depends on whether you plan on keeping it for the long haul.. IMHO I think the 20" wheels on lifted trucks are a fad that will pass. It might get harder to put tires on it somewhere down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Here are some artists renditions-

1st is Randy70C-10

2nd is Longhair

It could very well be a fad, you are right...
Old 11-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Cethern
What was I thinking??

If you are going to wheel the K5 I would think the 20's would not like being aired down...And you not get much if any benafit from the shorter side wall.
There are alot of guys going to 17's... If you were to go with the 20's I hope you get a spare with it. If you blow a tire for a 20 out somewhere you mite have a very hard time getting a 20 to replace it. But 15,16,16.5 are everywhere. And a little cheeper..
Old 11-25-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I would think the 20's would provide a better street ride because there wouldn't be so much bounce in the side wall. 20's will cost a small fortune to replace when the tires do were out. Swampers generally don't get very good milage (as in tread wear), although the IROCs are better for street than traditional swampers. I've never seen an older model truck or blazer lifted and rolling on 20's. It might be unique, especially if you go with the Black & Orange paint scheme that was on the photoshop board (can't find the link anymore). I think the photoshop job looks a little more like 40's than 36's.

As far as the fad goes, I think 20's and above are here to stay. The tires and wheels will continue to get cheaper as more manufactures spec them OEM.

IGOR has 17's on his truck. See if you can find some pictures of it. To me, the wheels are noticably bigger than what you generally see.

Are you sure those wheels will fit your truck? I recall reading someplace that some of the modern wheels don't fit over our hubs and need to be machined down to fit. Ya might want to do a test fit before forking over the $.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:20 AM   #6
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

You got it Bouncy! I finally got to checking fitment online, and sure enough they aren't machined for the front hubs, and I am not going to open them up...

So, what does one do? I found a better combo! 38x15.50R16 Interco STS on 16x10" ARE Diamond Locks 2s. I confirmed fitment, and I am still getting a good deal.

This is going to look a LOT better with my truck... I am just going to have to return the 2" body and get a 3" body for the extra clearance.

Here is my future set right here-
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Glad that it's working out for you. How much lift do you have now?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

With my 17s and the on my 275 60 it really helped out the ride. It is not a bmw but it is alot better that my buddies wrangler and my old stock tires and rims. New shocks and body mount would probaly help as well. But I really don't take it off road very much so I can get away with less side wall but there is still enough there that I can drive through cornfields to go hunting.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote