The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Fla Grown

Weber 32/36 adjustment

I am running a Weber 32/36 on my 250 bored 30 over and idle is fine when I start it up but after warmed up the idle increases. Any suggestions?
Fla Grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
murdoc

Re: Weber 32/36 adjustment

I have this same carb on my 1977 toyota pickup, also had the same issue. Make sure that your gaskets to the adaptor plate, carb, and manifold have no air leaks. This is a huge issue with these Weber carbs, anyone who knows them will say the same. Sometimes the adaptor plates aren't entirely flat and need to be planed.

Also, if you have an electronic choke, make sure that it is connected and adjusted properly. Make sure you have the correct sized jets as well, mine were too big for the little 20r engine it was on.

Finally, if nothing else works, take it to a technician who specializes in adjusting these carbs. After doing all of the above, I took mine in and had a Weber gooroo in my area fine tune it. For me, it was well worth paying someone to do it right. Call around your area to find someone reputable. Toyota and Volkswagon people are very familiar with Webers.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
I have this same carb on my 1977 toyota pickup, also had the same issue. Make sure that your gaskets to the adaptor plate, carb, and manifold have no air leaks. This is a huge issue with these Weber carbs, anyone who knows them will say the same. Sometimes the adaptor plates aren't entirely flat and need to be planed.

Also, if you have an electronic choke, make sure that it is connected and adjusted properly. Make sure you have the correct sized jets as well, mine were too big for the little 20r engine it was on.

Finally, if nothing else works, take it to a technician who specializes in adjusting these carbs. After doing all of the above, I took mine in and had a Weber gooroo in my area fine tune it. For me, it was well worth paying someone to do it right. Call around your area to find someone reputable. Toyota and Volkswagon people are very familiar with Webers.

I agree with all of this, it sounds like you are running a little rich and when you give it a little extra air from the vacuum leak it revs up. I always baselined my webers with a small manifold vacuum leak:

meaning I got them running and idling then used the mixture screw to get the rpms about where I wanted them. then I took off one of the smallest manifold vacuum lines (not the carb distributor advance vacuum line) and pinched it. while the engine was idling I would just barely open the vacuum line slightly, if the idle went up the mixture was rich, down the mixture was lean. I would make small adjustments to the mixture screw and fix the idle again with the idle screw and repeat. It was "tuned" when that small vacuum leak didnt make much of a change.

this is also done AFTER you make sure you have the right main and idle jets, and check for vacuum leaks at the carb/manifold plates like murdoc said. They say use the dry gaskets but I always use a little sealant, had this happen a hundred times. I think they make them warped, sometimes they leak so bad they lean pop under acceleration. I have had scores of 32/26 carbs, 2002 bmws, mazdas, toyotas, all 4 bangers but the principle is exactly the same.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Grown View Post
I am running a Weber 32/36 on my 250 bored 30 over and idle is fine when I start it up but after warmed up the idle increases. Any suggestions?
Normally a cold engine will idle lower than when its cold. Mine do all the time.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
slotard

I'm not sure I've seen anything without a working choke that doesn't speed up when it warms up. No clue if you have one, they're the only reason for fast idle when cold.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Fla Grown

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Fla Grown

Quote:

This makes sense. I replaced the exhaust manifold not long ago and reused the gasket. I looked a little boogered up but I used it anyway. I will got a new gasket and start from there.
Posted via Mobile Device