The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
rollin thunder

Need some help! cracked blocked

I recently took down my 250 and discovered a crack I was hoping to keep matching numbers but idk if trying to get this repaired and rebuild it or if it can is worth time and money, and risks in the future versus buying another or just getting a new long block from the part store and using this engine as parts for the tinwork. Thank you in advance for any input! the crack runs all the way through to the inside into the coolant passage and through to the thread for the head bolt. The 2nd picture is where the water pump mounts, if more info is needed let me know i try to put as much I thought was needed
Attached Images

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Need some help! cracked blocked

That block should be in the scrap pile. Matching numbers or not. It is not useable.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Is there even a matching number on engines for these trucks?

Repairing the crack makes the subject moot anyway. Think about it, if you were in the market and you saw the block had been repaired, would you be concerned? I know I would.

As cableguy mentioned, it should be scrapped. Primarily because you don't know what caused that crack and there may be other weak or weakened areas in the block.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
bk2life
Account Suspended

it could be repaired. the loaction it is in inst 'critical' like next to acylinder.

you could have it welded up, and remaching it and never know it was there.

but what cause it. thats my concern. over heating?

shouldnt be too hard to find a nother 6'er..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
rollin thunder

i`ll just get a new long block. thank you for the input, everyone on this site has saved my but several times. Still learning ins and outs of it all.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
GRX

That block could be saved but you are better going with your long block. Best of luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Gumby

smack that corner area really hard, dead flat with a 5lb hammer, if you don't notice any change, its run/fix-able....
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
Coley

I get the idea of keeping the original engine with the truck so here is what I would do.
1) Keep the engine (block) and set it aside in storage for your own satisfaction, reference and bench racing 'chat'... or for others.
2) Get another block and build it up into a great runner and put that in the truck to keep yourself on the road. (personally I would add a touch more performance to the new/next 6 cylinder...with a bit of a cam and some headwork, but thats just me)
You will always be able to assert that you have the original engine for the truck....just not currently installed in favor of a current better unit.
(note: nobody really gets too tied up into the numbers matching element with these trucks generally speaking due to the fact that GM did not stamp the blocks with the VIN until the early mid 70's...so 'true' numbers matching is always open to interpretation..sometimes)
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
Redcap

Junk.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've said it before... "Numbers Matching" only counts with Corvettes and Chevelles. The original engine in a truck will bring no resale value.

For one, finding a welder capable to weld cast iron correctly might not be very easy. The cost will probably outweigh the repair.

Find a new block, or go with the long block you said he local parts store can get you.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I've said it before... "Numbers Matching" only counts with Corvettes and Chevelles. The original engine in a truck will bring no resale value.

For one, finding a welder capable to weld cast iron correctly might not be very easy. The cost will probably outweigh the repair.

Find a new block, or go with the long block you said he local parts store can get you.

Gary
^ True.

I wasn't aware of Chevelles having matching numbers but I do know Corvettes had the last few numbers of the vin number stamped on the block - I have one on my engine stand.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
kwmech

If it were mine, I would have no problem having that welded up and putting an insert for the head bolt
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
rollin thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I get the idea of keeping the original engine with the truck so here is what I would do.
1) Keep the engine (block) and set it aside in storage for your own satisfaction, reference and bench racing 'chat'... or for others.
2) Get another block and build it up into a great runner and put that in the truck to keep yourself on the road. (personally I would add a touch more performance to the new/next 6 cylinder...with a bit of a cam and some headwork, but thats just me)
You will always be able to assert that you have the original engine for the truck....just not currently installed in favor of a current better unit.
(note: nobody really gets too tied up into the numbers matching element with these trucks generally speaking due to the fact that GM did not stamp the blocks with the VIN until the early mid 70's...so 'true' numbers matching is always open to interpretation..sometimes)
My two bits.
Coley
Dig the keeping it aside idea ha but i will for sure do another six seeing as 84(my truck) was the last year i believe they used the 250 and its not something people usually do around here. they drop big blocks in , ofcourse they are always mudding or pulling stuff or racing down some back-road.. which i will stick to pavement and rollin around on nice days
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Good time to upgrade to a 292? It is my understanding, that the tall deck blocks didnt have that issue (read from Leo's book of inlines). Bigger is also better...crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote