The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Truck binds when turning - is it the posi-track?

Hey guys,

Been away for the past few months doing some work on m software business.

On the last few details of my truck build (see signature).

One thing I've noticed is, when making a turn (either going forward or in reverse), the truck feels like it's binding up somewhere.

It's hard to describe, but if I notice it most when I back out of the drive way. I backup a bit (straight) and it's fine, and when I turn to the left (or right), I really have to give it a lot of gas to get it to make the turn. Very noticeable. Same when making a left turn from a stop light.

It's like something is dragging on the front end or drive train, but only when making the turns.

We've checked to see if the brakes are issue, but they are fine. Wheels turn freely. It doesn't seem to be an issue going straight on.

We did swap out the axle with a posi-track unit and have the conditioner in it.

I've had it in for an alignment through very reputable shop here that deals with classic cars exclusively. They seem to think something in the front suspension might be binding when turning, but are not sure till they get in and start trouble shooting.

Any ideas/suggestions on what to look for?
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Truck binds when turning - is it the posi-track?

Maybe find an open parking lot, and have someone stand outside the truck and observe as you make turns. Even better, a gravel or dirt parking lot as you could see a tire dragging/skipping around a turn if that was the issue.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
spinem
haha, ford guys...

BruthaMan;

if you have a full time locker in the rear (spool) it will "push" the front end everywhere it goes, when say... turning left, the right tire in the rear needs to spin faster than the tire on the left, or "inner". with it locked up, it cannot do this, thus you will experience something called "front end push"....this is what will cause the "chatter marks in the dirt" as mentioned above... if no chatter marks are present, look for excessive dirt being thrown from the outer tires in the rear... then check the fronts.

if you have a limited slip unit, depending on if its a ratcheting type, chutch type or spyder gear, something could have gone out... if you think this is excessive (giving youve had posi's before) then id pop the diff cover and look around, drop a magnet in the diff fluid collection pan once youve drained it.. look for shinies/chunks....

orrr!
and this is going far out there, your wheel bearings are locking up/starting to lock up.... but thats a pretty random thing.
pull the wheel, pull the dust cap, grease!!!

BEST OF LUCK!!
*suscribed.

Last edited by spinem; 04-04-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: sp
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

I've got a Auburn posi spool in my 97 and can't see any effects in my dirt yard from turning, I have to make a sharp turn to park it so a dirt road/parking lot may not show anything.

I skimmed through your build thread but didn't read the entire thing, If you installed drop spindles the wheel could be hitting the lower control arm when turning.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

does the truck seem to pop only on turns? if so probally the ball joints... i forgot how to check them.. its either jack up the front portion of the frame and try and tilt the wheel inwards (like camber inwards) back and fourth to see if you have excessive play. aTo check the other balljoint, jack it up from the lower control arm and same thing... one test checks either upper or lower.. cant remember which does what. either way wouldnt hurt to check it out...
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Wow, Thanks for all the great advice!

Some additional information based upon the feedback:

1) I haven't noticed any popping noises, but as loud as this thing is, it wouldn't be easy to hear! It's really hard to describe, but it feels like when I start turning, it's like suddenly another car/truck is there and now I'm "pushing" another car/truck in front of me.

2) This is the unit we put in (I later had an ASE Master certified tech inspect to make sure it was setup correctly):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Bo...Q5fAccessories

Not sure this is the "exact exact" same model number, as we specified for a 78 chevy truck 12 bolt, but this is the kit.

This is the first posi-track that I've ever owned (at least that I was aware of), so I have no experiences with these. "front end push" would be a very accurate description but was not aware of the term.

3) I do have drop spindles installed. 2.5 inch western chasis spindles. Everything on the front suspension is brand new and has been aligned, however, have not checked it to see if they are hitting the lower control arm.

I don't have access to the truck at the moment to do any testing. I sent it back to my painter to get silver rally stripes added, a few "uh oh's" touched up, final clear coat, buff/polish. Should have it back by the end of the month.

I appreciate everyone's advice.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
spinem
haha, ford guys...

hummmm. that looks like a limited slip. allows the wheels in the rear to spin at different speeds, yet locks up when traction is lost.

It uses a clutch and spyder gear set up.... sounds normal... i used to have a old volks wagon converted to a "manx"... it was lim. slip and still did what you described. people say it didnt turn like it should due to the clutch design.... just couldnt spin fast enough, wanted to "dragg"
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
crawdadfox

Location: New Orleans Louisiana.....a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here!!!

Add one bottle of GM limited slip additive to the rear and see if that takes care of your issue. Most clutch style posi rears will chatter or seem "spool like" without it.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Thank you CDF!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Not to hi jack and I know this thread is old but I am having the same front end push to the right when I take off from a stop going straight. After a short drive down the highway, say even 10 minutes, I come to a stop then take off and the truck wants to push to the right and I can feel a binding or pop in the rear from one side to the other. I have an or posi with 2 bottles of additive and it is progressively getting worse. Thought about draining and running straight Lucas oil. Sound normal? My first posi as well and I had a reputable shop check and install the unit. Guys I can trust.
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
rs74

Do you have a front brake caliper hanging up on you? If you are going straight and the right is hanging up and not completely releasing then it will pull to the right. Just a thought.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Still has drum brakes all the way around and the wheels spin freely. In town it's never an issue, only once I get the rearend warm. You can totally feel it in the rear and once it pops or stops the bind noise the truck runs straight as an arrow. Just aligned it Saturday. New tires on front and the old mismatched tires on the rear. Same size but different wear, ones like new while the other is severely worn, it's about 1/8" difference on overall height.
Posted via Mobile Device

72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #13
Ronaldo

Check the Axle U joints. My plow truck did some weird stuff with a stuck up u joint..
Ron
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
shawno72
C/10 junkie

It's go new ujoints. As of yesterday it has started doing in even when I'm town so this weekend I will change the fluid and see if that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

Old 11-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #15
c1971

Once again, I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue with my 68 C10. Strange pull in suspension, can happen going straight down the road, turning, forward or in reverse. Did anyone ever find the solution?
c1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #16
dmack91

Is it pulling to one side after applying the brakes? Old rubber brake lines are known to leak between the layers, causing the brake to drag or lock up as the fluid can't depressurize after use.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
c1971

All rubber lines are new, new calipers, wheel cylinders, metal brake lines, master cylinder, etc. Has front and rear disk brakes. Wheels and tires are used but I had ran them a few thousand miles on my Suburban with no problems. The suspension bushings are new. This truck has been a 10 year off and on restoration, guess that is what frustrates me the most. When I first took notice to this issue I was driving on a local road that usually you can coast on and gain speed, I had to keep in gear and add gas to stay at speed, when I turned right onto another road, I felt a feel similar to driving a four wheel drive while engaged on black top. Came straight home and checked over the front suspension to make sure everything was tight. Searched for anything that looks as if it shifts. Changed diff fluid, used AC Delco friction modifier and synthetic gear lube. This seemed to make things feel better, but shifting/binding feeling is still there. Binding feels more pronounced after being on the road for awhile, usually 10 or more minutes. The rear is stock 12 bolt rear, original 69,000 miles, 4.10 factory posi. Original fluid as with both fluid changes that I have done so far never have shown high levels of metal flakes/shavings.
c1971 is offline   Reply With Quote