The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #51
67chevy1series

Re: Mulk's 8-Lugger

what are your plans for the holes on the body side? are you going to fill them with clips and trim or with a welder?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #52
Mulk

No major changes over that passed couple weeks.... I was forced to enjoy 10 days in a beach house on the Florida Gulf Coast

But I just had to post this photo to get me motivated to work on it in this Vegas heat...

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403690
Mulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #53
bruin_d

I love those wheels!
bruin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #54
Mulk

A few month back I was reading the "Camaro Tach Upgrade" in the electrical section, and decided to order one. So I found my self on eBay, bought a tach for $19, with no real idea when or if I'd ever tackle to upgrade.

Well in case you didn't know, it's HOT in Vegas this time of year. Plus, I just got a bunch more tattoo work done on my back, and didn't feel the need to climb under the Burb today. But I did see that tach laying on the bench, and decided today was a perfect day to experiment, and here's my story......

After clearing a spot on the dining room table (right under a/c vent), I layed out my arsenal of small tools, and blew apart the cluster.

To clean off the paint paint line on lense of the center opening where the tach will find its new home, I soaked the area with mineral spirits. Once the bond was losened, I used a plastic spoon (high tech) to remove paint without scraatching the lense.

I then cut the opening in the black bezel, with a set of tin-snips, just being careful to follow the bevelled lip chevy had already provided. The edge is hidden, so those little teeth marks aren't an issue.

I layed the bezel section back in place, and trimmed the upper and lower edge of the tach face so it would fit in place without any issues. Not pretty, but then again, it's not gonna be visible.

To be continued......

'68 C20 Suburban, Bagged with Suicide 3rd Door, and Loaded with a 396 - Under Construction
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #55
Mulk

Continuing.....

I got the tach positioned, marked the placement, and used some flashing tape to hold it in place. That stuff sticks to everything, and isn't affected by the heat... In case you missed the portion.... It gets hot here. I also taped the red "oil" light lense in place just to fill the void (looks official from front). I rotated these shots before I attached them, but......

Now here's where I went in my own direction from the instruction in the electrical section. I didn't feel like taking the tach apart, and moving the circuit board. I just opened-up a hole in the backing plate.

I then used the backing plate that came with the tach, cut it to size, and used to to fill the hole, and support the tach

Two sheet metal screws hold everything nicely in place.

I know. Now how is the dash circuit sheet gonna clear those posts? A few simple relief-cuts with the razor blade, and problem solved.

^^^^Anybody catch those two turn-signal light tubes sitting on the whole assembled cluster ^^^^

Ya.... Me niether

Well here's the finished product... Not to bad. I just hope I got a working tach off of eBay

Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #56
Mulk

Now that I'm done..... What does this wire conect to? It was just floating when I pulled the cluster.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #57
67chevy1series

i dont know about the wire but the burb looks awesome the gauges look great and after all that work some nice comedy thats funny i remember when i did that one time lol it really sucks!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #58
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

super sick, i plan on running an off road style wheel on mine as well, it will be the black kmc rockstars
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #59
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulk View Post
Now that I'm done..... What does this wire conect to? It was just floating when I pulled the cluster.
I think its the fiber optic cable that goes to the shift indicator on the top of the column...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #60
Mulk

Thanks guys, I appreciate you checking-out my build, and the help and encouragement along the way.

Rich - the fiber optic idea makes sence. It had a Flaming River column in it when I got it (weird custom mod to do, with nothing else really changed) and it has it's own light source

Rick - glad you enjoyed the comedy. My life is a swirl of sarcasm, so I like sharing my mishaps and adventures along the way. Also, I think I'm gonna run the trim, and use the body-clips to hold it all on. The trim is in decent shape, other than a few holes prom where the prior owner screwed the trim back on. I think I'm gonna scotch bright all of it, and go with a stainless look
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #61
67chevy1series

glad to hear it your burb with all the trim like in your avatar looked bad ass! and with the trim gone it looks a little different... you wouldnt know it through a computer but i have alot of fun and jokes and sarcasm with my build its just a great experience that you just gotta have fun with while your doin it.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #62
67chevy1series

you have a spotlight!! thats awesome! from one guy to another
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #63
salvo

Gauges look great Eric!
I have often wondered what the lower right blank gage face, next to the steering column is for?
76 FJ40 LandCruiser - 454, TH350, NP205, Ford 9"
98 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #64
Mulk

Thanks Scott. I was hoping to get a complete camaro cluster, and was gonna put the clock in the last spot next to the column, but couldn't find one for the right price. I work for the state, so I'm a cheap ass, and wouldn't pony-up the cash!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #65
Mulk

Rick, I've got another trinity spot light assembly if you need any parts. Just missing the handle, but their site still sells the vintage handles.

Mine is fully operational, and I'm gonna leave it. Never know when I might need to "spot some game" hahahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #66
67chevy1series

haha! i do need some parts and the funny thing is i need every thing but the handle! mine is dented and rusted. the light is broke. and the clips are gone and the rod split down the middle. it barley functions.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #67
Mulk

Was looking forward to 2 solid days of working on the 8-Lugger. Yesterday was pretty productive until I found a blown oil seal on the right rear hub. Not a huge setback. Was still able to clearance crossmember and floor, for the pumpkin.

Figured I'd start today by getting the seal, and finishing-up that side of the axle......

Well here I am, my second trip to Napa (since I provided wrong part number) waiting for correct seal to make it's treck across the Vegas valley. Temp is rising, and motivation is dropping. But I won't be deterred. Rear bags WILL be finalized before I quit today!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #68
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Your burb is looking slick man.... making me realize that I gotta get some time off so I can work on mine
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #69
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Awesome Burb! Lovin the 8 lug

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #70
maaboo

i daily drive a 72 3/4 ridin on 22 rockstars love your build wanna bag mine but should prob fix all the holes in the body first got my motor built my wheels and have yet to tackle the body nut you have me inspired gonna have to take some pics and start a build thread

i love these stupid truck and got lucky my wife loves em too
maaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #71
67chevy1series

mulk are you going to reno for hot august nights?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #72
Mulk

Not gonna make it to Reno. Schedule is to hectic, and I have way too many things to finish on the Burb just to get it driving again.

I made a promise to the family, that I would only work on it on my days off. The last few projects got me in hot water with the wife and kids. They love the finished products, but don't like losing me during the process.

And we ALL know the rule.... A happy wife = A happy life
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #73
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaboo View Post
i daily drive a 72 3/4 ridin on 22 rockstars love your build wanna bag mine but should prob fix all the holes in the body first got my motor built my wheels and have yet to tackle the body nut you have me inspired gonna have to take some pics and start a build thread

i love these stupid truck and got lucky my wife loves em too
any pics???
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #74
maaboo

just started my own thread will post more pics as i tear into it
maaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #75
Mulk

Just a little update. I got the rear put back together, and everything in place. With everything clearanced, it sits about 3 inches lower, and rests perfect on the small bump-stops in the c-notch. Here's a shot with the suicide door open. The lighting is crappy so you dont get a true feel of the stance.

Then I got this crazy idea to see what it looked like with the trim back on. So I taped one of the wheel arches on just to get an idea. Looks better than I thought, which means I don't have to weld-up all those holes

Today I finished-up a bunch of little things on the front. Calipers painted and mounted. Cut off an inch on both ends of the sway-bar so there's no chance of it rubbing on the bags. Rattle-bombed it and got it mounted. Cleaned up some wiring. Modified the tensioning bracket for the alternater. Getting closer! I love that monster 8-lug rotor