The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
Ltpowers

What vortec heads!!

I am currently rebuilding my 71 GMC 350. I have a torn apart in my living room, perks of not being married.

I’m looking for a good set of Vortech heads to buy. Also have a few questions.

Which Vortech heads do you recommend? And do you have a link for them?

My body was telling me I should get the ones that have 1.94 valves and have them machined out to 2.02 vowels instead of buying the 2.02 valve heads. Can this be done and would it be less expensive?

I do know I need a Vortech intake but besides that I will probably go with a Lunati cam.

I’ve been waiting all summer to do this now I got to get on it before I spend my savings. I believe I have flattop pistons. I am going through and cleaning and organizing all my parts and bolts

I’m also going with roller rocker arms would also like a good part number on that if anybody had
Ltpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Leigh222

Re: What vortec heads!!

Below in the first link is the small block I put in my 68 c10 with vortec heads and a lunati cam. You can see it has 350 hp and 410 tq. Might be a good starting point to base your build off, one thing I would suggest is getting the second link as intake manifold gaskets as the vortec intake manifold only uses 8 bolts to tighten the intake down. If you don't drop the money for the manifold gaskets to start you will end up having to eventually as the gaskets without metal reinforcements will most likely leak causing a massive vacuum leak and oil burning situation like I had with mine.

https://paceperformance.com/Small-Bl...420194-VK.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...iABEgJS6PD_BwE
Leigh222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
Ltpowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh222 View Post
Below in the first link is the small block I put in my 68 c10 with vortec heads and a lunati cam. You can see it has 350 hp and 410 tq. Might be a good starting point to base your build off, one thing I would suggest is getting the second link as intake manifold gaskets as the vortec intake manifold only uses 8 bolts to tighten the intake down. If you don't drop the money for the manifold gaskets to start you will end up having to eventually as the gaskets without metal reinforcements will most likely leak causing a massive vacuum leak and oil burning situation like I had with mine.

https://paceperformance.com/Small-Bl...420194-VK.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...iABEgJS6PD_BwE

Sweet I appreciate that. Do you happen to have any videos of how your build sounds
Ltpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Leigh222

I don't, here is a picture of it though. I'll see what i can do for video maybe get one for next weekend.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
gmc684x4

If you go for used make sure there not 305 heads and have them checked for cracks
Stock they have a cam lift limit to have checked out

In my build I am using a Comp Cam Extreme 4x4 I ordered new heads from summit and had to get them machined for lift and like Leigh I picked up an Eldbrock profomer intake

If you have Ac and one of those heater shutoff blocks insure you add a steam line for the heads

Skogen Dicky
https://sdparts.com/i-24502323

https://sdparts.com/i-23901396-sdpc-...g-upgrade.html
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #6
TwoFiftyShifter

Vortec heads and flat top pistons will yield a high compression ratio. Not sure if pump gas would be an issue.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
bry593

GM used dish pistons in the Vortec engines to keep the CR to a reasonable level.

Also, GM used a coolant bypass hose/tube. You need to do the same thing by routing a 1/2 or 5/8" hose (I used the same hose GM used), from the top of the water pump to the cross coolant passage next to the upper radiator hose. The ID of the fittings used will be the restriction, not the hose itself.

The coolant bypass is necessary since Vortec heads do not have a hole that matches the coolant bypass in the old school GM blocks. Without it, your heads will develop hot spots and you will see wild temperature swings at the gauge.

Another option is to drill some holes in your thermostat. This works the same as a bypass hose, but what if someone forgets to drill the holes during a thermostat change?.....
Old 11-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
LNP

If you're lookin for a complete engine Jegs sells them with 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. The only difference I see between the one from Jegs I bought and the one Liegh222 bought is his has a smaller cc combustion chamber in the head and a bigger camshaft. The smaller cc heads and bigger cam would make more horsepower than the version I bought. The one I got I put a link below to it was a lot cheaper so a cam kit added you'd still have money left over. Not knockin his purchase at all in any way shape or form. I'm just throwing out there what I got as a comparison to try and help and to show options to think about. Anyway thats my two cents worth of input.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/8758/10002/-1
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
heskahoka

Here is a great article on Vortec Heads at Crankshaft Coalition.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._cylinder_head

It answered all my question and more before I did my Vortec 350.
heskahoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
Leigh222

No offense taken, when I bought mine the list price was $3,300.00 and they had a special for $250 off so It was about $1400 less when I bought it 2 years ago. Nothing like inflation during a pandemic.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
LNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh222 View Post
No offense taken, when I bought mine the list price was $3,300.00 and they had a special for $250 off so It was about $1400 less when I bought it 2 years ago. Nothing like inflation during a pandemic.
Thanks, I almost didnt say anything as some people these days get offended easily. I really didnt mean for it to be one of those hey my idea is cheaper thing. Just wanted to throw out a comparison and another option to think about. If he's lookin at heads only, nowadays for a price of a good set of heads or used heads plus machine shop work for the same amount of money you can buy a whole engine and have a warranty. I just spent $1550.00 on a engine to get a go thru nothing fancy already had that and no head work. Machine shops can wrap up money quick so choices are a good thing to think about. Anyway again thats my two cents worth.

Sounds like you got a screamin deal hell a cam kit will cost ya $250. Sweet. Yea everyone seems to be gettin rich on the pandemic. Seems its either that ot political crap.

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote