The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 AM   #26
SuperChief

Re: Novice and wiring

I am familiar with the sacrificial fusible link wire, however if the word 'fus...' is there would it not equate to a proper size inline fuse? most newer trucks seem to use a very large fuse under the hood for extra protection in lieu of a fusible link. I guess my questionis; if I am not doing a full resto would a fuse work as well as a fusible length and no magic smoke is released.?
SuperChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
dmjlambert

I suppose so. I like the fusible link wire better, because it is simpler, looks better, costs less, and gives you an obvious visual indication there was a problem. I think it is generally expected to last for many years, and is only used if you have a bad short in a non-fuse-protected area of the wiring. If you use a fuse instead, you're going to need to wire in a reliable and corrosion-resistant fuse holder and pick a fuse value that will give you enough power for accessories and yet protect the wiring.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
Bigdav160

Fusible elements are commonly used in place of fusible links in newer cars because they are cheap and easier to service. There is no problem using them if you can find a decent holder. New cars likely would have a 100 amp protecting a number of 40 amp which are protecting a bunch of 15-20 amp fuses.

True fusible links use hypalon rubber insulation which is much more burn resistant than regular wire insulation so most of the time does not give a visible indication of an open circuit.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
harpo231

Certain automotive components require momentary higher peak current levels so a fixed-rating fuse may not be ideal.

using a fuse where you have these moments will always result in blown fuse, a link is made to support this.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #30
Myoldtruck

Do you own a digital volt ohm meter yet. Good to have to work on these old trucks. What size fuse is in that holder, looks like a 20amp. That fused wire is the feed for the complete fuse box. The original fusible link was rated higher than 20amps.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Fusible elements are commonly used in place of fusible links in newer cars because they are cheap and easier to service. There is no problem using them if you can find a decent holder. New cars likely would have a 100 amp protecting a number of 40 amp which are protecting a bunch of 15-20 amp fuses.

True fusible links use hypalon rubber insulation which is much more burn resistant than regular wire insulation so most of the time does not give a visible indication of an open circuit.
Just wanted to add to this, you can buy a maxi-fuse and fuse holder up to about 80 Amps at good auto parts stores.

Beyond that you can find mega fuses from 40 A to 500 A. These are usually used on large stereo systems, but I used mine for an alternator fuse. Finding good fuse holders can be problematic, but they do exist.

Also, this single fuse is running the entire truck. Lights, engine, everything. So take care when deciding what to do with this.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #32
SuperChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoldtruck View Post
Do you own a digital volt ohm meter yet. Good to have to work on these old trucks. What size fuse is in that holder, looks like a 20amp. That fused wire is the feed for the complete fuse box. The original fusible link was rated higher than 20amps.
I do have, but so far only thing I can use it for is coil ballast resistor, voltage to coil and chassis voltage. I usually use this site's search and have compiled quite a DIY library. I really like this site because the responders put out straight information and never belittle novice interest in this site. Any links to 'digital for dummies' would be appreciated
Old 01-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #33
SuperChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
Just wanted to add to this, you can buy a maxi-fuse and fuse holder up to about 80 Amps at good auto parts stores.

Beyond that you can find mega fuses from 40 A to 500 A. These are usually used on large stereo systems, but I used mine for an alternator fuse. Finding good fuse holders can be problematic, but they do exist.

Also, this single fuse is running the entire truck. Lights, engine, everything. So take care when deciding what to do with this.
Sounds like a Mega-Fuse(slo-blo) is what I can use. No cosmetics needed as my truck is retired and now a quasi-Rat Rod. What amp size do you recommend?

Last edited by SuperChief; 01-27-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #34
harpo231

The link and fuse do slightly different duties , is noone getting that ? all i'm seein is "put a giant fuse in it". A fuse will blow much more often than a link
Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #35
SuperChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
The link and fuse do slightly different duties , is noone getting that ? all i'm seein is "put a giant fuse in it". A fuse will blow much more often than a link
I agree if you want pure resto but even fusible link people agree that today's electrical use almost exclusively "giant Fuse" to the alternator or your mega boom box. All have merit, some say "see" some say "saw".I think I would rather have a 'slo-blo' replaceable (read: limp home) 100 amp fuse (to match alternator output) than waiting for the triple A truck.
I am in no way qualified to state what is best, but in my case late model upgrading in an old truck is more comforting I apologize for my ignorance but thanks to this thread and all of the seasoned responders I can go to the parts store with some knowledge. Sorry for hi-jacking this thread
Old 01-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #36
harpo231

NP i wouldnt use one . just i hear it thrown around here a lot...
Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #37
4thgencreamsicle

Ok. Just an update. I replaced the battery cables, fusible link that had been replaced with an inline fuse, changed the oil filter and oil, replaced the spark plugs and cleaned up a poorly done splice, and added a fuel filter. Turned the key and it started right up like it never sat for a day in the field or dead in my driveway for a year. Such an awesome feeling and a big thanks to y’all for the help! It took awhile, but little by little I was able to do the, mostly by myself. The hubby was my muscle and tool retriever.

Yesterday we must have broke some kind of record because we both were working on our respective trucks (his a ‘94 ford power stroke that is being held together by gunk and duct tape- my Dad’s old truck...thanks Dad). We not only got them both running, but we didn’t even argue once. It was a great day for trucks at our house. Of course mine is better, but that’s definitely an argument starter. Lol

Now I just need to figure out why the headlights don’t have power going to them but all the other lights work. I’ll be doing some forum surfing today to get some ideas.
4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote