The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
DoobieBrother

Putting in a new alternator and...

Trying to decide wiring for a new alternator. Current alternator, and I'm guessing voltage regulator are shown below. So here's my questions...

1) Is what I'm picturing in fact an external regulator?
2) I want to use a modern alternator with minimum extras. So do I still need this thing unless I want to change wiring significantly? What would I have to change? I want the generator light and everything to work correctly.

DoobieBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
DoobieBrother

Re: Putting in a new alternator and...

Ok, I found this... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

...and I think that covers it. That is unless anyone knows of any new ways to do it better, corrections, etc. Eventually I hope to do a ground up on this truck. At that time, it'll get a full re-wire amongst other things. But in the mean time I want everything to work well.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Check out www.wiringharness.com. This is M & H Fabricators, in California. They build really nice harnesses. My suggestion is that you check out what they have, after reading the other article. If you want a stock harness, they have it with the proper connections for the stock replacement parts. If you want to upgrade to a one-wire (internally-regulated) alternator, they have the right harness for that.....and you will retain all the features of your charging system (warning light/guage) that you want/need.

There are vendors on the board who sell these specific harnesses, although you can buy from M&H, too.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
DoobieBrother

Sounds good for when I get into full rebuild mode.

Now on the other mentioned thread, does doing it that way retain usage of generator light and such?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

The alt. in the photo uses an external regulator. Although ive never seen one like that , if it has the right plug in connections it should work. Put a volt meter across the bat. It should run up to about 14 volts when you rev the engine a little past idle.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
MonteSS454
Account Suspended

Yup it's a Borg Warner R281 regulator. going to internally regulated is one of the best things you can do.
MonteSS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I also wrote something up on this yesterday. If you have the light all you will need is the alternator.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=320787

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Willys47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS454 View Post
Yup it's a Borg Warner R281 regulator. going to internally regulated is one of the best things you can do.
why is this what make the external so bad?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
thelonerife

Theres less amperage with the original style 60 something. Most of the one wires got 90 something. I have one (one wire) and the only thing thats keeping me from puting it on is the cost of a replacement one. I figure if the original style is working and I can replace it cheap enough I'll keep it. I can get it for 40 bucks. One wires run in the 90 dollar range. I don't see the huge advantage that people talk about???
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

To anyone who want to keep the stock set-up I have a few suggestions. Obviously if you change the power needs of your vehicle drastically, you would need a bigger alternator. But what I have found to be a very successful methods of making these old systems perfom flawlessly is simple;

1- Keep the battery amp choice close to stock. A little over original is ok, but keep in mind that recharging a high amp battery requires a high amp capacity charging system. I run a stock battery I get from walmart.

2- Spend time and make sure the grounds on your truck are flawless. This could seem trivial, but poor grounds create line voltage fluctuations which can fatigue the charging system. I cant emphasisze enough how important this step really is.

3- Change your battery every 4 years, disregard the 60 month theory. If you think about it a $60.00 battery costs about $1.25 a month for 4 years. Its worth changing in my opinion. I also cut open a battery that was at its 4 year life and did a cel by cell volt check and the cell at the positive terminal lug was .5 volts lower then the rest. So if thats at 4 years, how low would it be at 5?

4- If you kill your battery accidentally, never ever use the charging system on the truck to charge the battery if possible. If you need a jump in the field as soon as you can get a charger on that battery do so and leave it on low amp charge for about 8-10 hrs.

I'm sure I dont hold the patent on electrical system good ideas, I just figured I offer what has worked flawlessly for me over the past 20 years.

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
DoobieBrother

Well, I got it done using the link I gave above. Looks like everything is good to go. Can anyone tell me specifically what is the proper way to meter everything to make sure it's doing exactly what I expect?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
DoobieBrother

Nevermind. I didn't realize it was this simple... http://www.carbasics.co.uk/How_to_te...alternator.htm
Old 12-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

While the truck is running take a volt meter and check the battery. It should have more than 12 volts showing. Rev the engine and see if it goes up to around 14 volts.
Then turn the lights and stuff on and check it again. With the engine rev'ed and all the stuff on it should be 13 volts at least.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
70 net440

Will this set up work on a '63? It's too cold and dark out to go look and see if my wiring is the same.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 net440 View Post
Will this set up work on a '63? It's too cold and dark out to go look and see if my wiring is the same.
Yes

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I am planning on doing the CS130 conversion also . I have a light dash now so the brown wire goes to a bulb in the dash and does the same as the resistor would , no problems for now . I was eventually going to a gauge dash . With the gauge dash the resister goes in the brown wire that will now go to the volt gauge ? Seems it would throw off the reading .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
If you want to upgrade to a one-wire (internally-regulated) alternator, they have the right harness for that.....and you will retain all the features of your charging system (warning light/guage) that you want/need.
"Internally regulated" and "One wire" are not the same thing, though one wire is internally regulated.

Most would not consider one wire to be an up-grade. You can't use the dash "light" in the first place..and if by chance it would fail you on the road somewhere, a "normal" 3-wire internally regulated alternator is available at any autoparts store. Cost-wise the one wire is also more expensive w/o any performance advantage. They will keep a battery charged enough to start the engine, but they don't boost the voltage while running like a 3-wire alternator does.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

In my opinion a 1 wire is just a bunch of talk. I did the external to internal 3 wire and have been very happy with it. My dash lights are bright and I have 14 to 16 volts on the gauge all the time inside the cab while the truck is running. If you follow the directions on changing it out it's very easy.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 12-28-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote