The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

Relocating gas tank using one from an '87?

Wondering if anybody has done this sort of swap. I have an '87 I'm parting out (Check this thread if you want some parts: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=85178). Anyways, I was thinking about how much I dislike having the tank in the cab with me in my '72 C10, and how much I'd rather fill the drafty fuel line holes and put a pair of nice speakers behind the seats.

So, I have a pair of free tanks from a '87 2WD.
I'm sure some people on this board have moved the tank outside of the cab.
Where did you put the tanks on the frame? How did you hold them there? What kind of tanks did you use? Pictures please?

I haven't pulled the tanks yet from the donor truck, would that year have fuel pumps inside the tank or between the tanks and switch/engine? I know that the '87 doesn't have a fuel pump thats actually on the engine.

Would it be wise to install a fuel pressure regulator (I'm still running a carb) and use the pump that is inside the tank (assuming that it is inside the tank not on the frame?) Or to route around the fuel pump and use the pump that is already on the engine in my '72?

thanks for the help.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:13 AM   #2
Rooster's 67

is that a leaf or coil truck?

you can probably regulate those TBI pumps down for a carburator.
As far as wiring if you use the right kinda switch and the factory pumps and sending units, when you switch from tank to tank it is just an electrical switch over. nothing mechanical.

But those year tanks have a hump on them and their length may pose a problem also if it is a coil truck, if you look at the back half of the cab on the 73-87 c/k series the floor is raised for tank clearence. either going to have to hump the flor or cut down the tank. they go inside the frame also. and I think the 67-72 frame is narrower at that portion of the frame.

but it would be cool to have saddle duals availible for the coil guys huh?
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:14 AM   #3
Rooster's 67

probably easier to do a sub/blazer tank conversion. jsut have to cary the spare rather than hang the spare.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:30 AM   #4
botboy
Account Suspended

Was thinking about having the spare inside the bed under a tonneu anyways, and only 1 tank in far back (help for traction in these godawful MN winters right?) between the frame rails if that is possible. My truck has coils and while originally equipped with overload coils they broke so I removed them.

How would you regulate those TBI pumps down (aside from resistors and heatsinks, which would be inefficient and sloppy)?

Also, Rooster's 67 how hard is it to get an ASE certification? How much $? I've been working on cars, trucks and tractors since I was 3, I'm now 18 and would much rather work in a shop or garage than where I'm working right now, figure that getting certified would put me ahead of every other arrogant 18 year old who thinks he's good with cars...
Old 01-13-2004, 02:31 AM   #5
botboy
Account Suspended

Also would rather have the tank inlet be under the licence plate like it was in my '70 Chevelle...
Old 01-13-2004, 02:32 AM   #6
botboy
Account Suspended

oh and are the tank sending units going to output the same voltages? Like I won't have to modify the sending unit or gauge so that when it says "empty" its actually empty...?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 AM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

The gauge would work but it wont fit under the truck i tryed that several years ago them 73 up have the high hump where the seat mounts that clears the tank i ended up putting the tank in the bed back then i was just goin for a saddle tank the gauge worked fine i just hooked it up to a switch . to switch them the gauge part that is.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Rooster's 67

botboy,

Youwont fit those tanks at the back of the bed, use a sub/blazer tank and convert it. and you wont be able to have the filler behind the liscense plate(too low) but there are easy ways to rig up a filler.

the fuel pumps pressure you would drop using and external regulator at the motor. holley, barrygrant, and a few others make regulators that would work. If you lower the pumps voltage you will burn the pumps up faster. they are not designed to run a a lower voltage.

As far as ASE you can go to this link to check out more info and cost National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
first test are more expensive than recertification. but it[ase] at least lets me know that I KNOW what I am talking about(most of the time)