The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
4ofakind

Frame Off

Anyone got pics of K5s w/ the tub off the frame? Would prefer shots showing how to do it w/o a lift (you know backyard mechanic ). But I will take what I can get.

I have a 76 and will be pulling the motor soon. Already doing the "might as well" dance and I haven't even started. Is it hard to work on the frame w/ the body still on? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first squarebody.

Thanks,
Mal

Last edited by 4ofakind; 02-04-2010 at 11:11 AM.
4ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Damien

Re: Frame Off

sorry no pics. What are you doing to the frame? Repainting? The frame is pretty hard to get at on these with the body on. I would take the top, doors, and tailgate off and remove the seats. This will probably drop about 1000 lbs off the truck. Maybe a couple of floor jacks and sawhorse type stands. Lift the body enough to get a 4x4 or 4x6 between the body and frame at the firewall and rear of the bed. Just throwing out ideas, not really sure.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
4ofakind

Just a basic refurbish. I want to inspect, sand, rust-inhibit, prime for future paint. Then redo brake lines for future discs and redo fuel lines for future fuel-injection or diesel.
The truck requires alot of work. I figured I'd start at the foundation so I'm not surprised later-on.

Thanks for the tips.

Mal
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
87 dually burb
my short bus

buy a 3" body lift to hold it up while you paint and inspect then pull block one at a time while you paint where there were
it what I would do and dont have to unplug everything
87 dually burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
4ofakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 dually burb View Post
buy a 3" body lift to hold it up while you paint and inspect then pull block one at a time while you paint where there were
it what I would do and dont have to unplug everything
Another good idea. Thanks. I may end up adopting it because I have to drive this as I restore it.

No pics still? I guess no one has done or seen a K5 frame-off. I'll be sure to keep you guys informed when I do mine.

Mal
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

i pulled mine off with my tractor, but it has a full roll cage so I have something tie the tractor to to lift it. In the past I used saw horses and 4x4s that were about 10 foot long. I now recommend nailing some 2x6's that are at least 12 foot long together and lay them on their edge. Use a jack, and some blocks or timbers to lift the body off of the frame. When you get it high enough, slide the 2x6's (now 4x6's) between the body and the frame and keep lifting it till you can get the ends of the 4x6s on the saw horses. We used 4 saw horse (two on each side running longways with the truck) and two 4x4s ( 4x6 recommended) across the width of the body underneath the body mount flanges. You will have to get the bottom of the 4x6s high enough to clear the tires, and nail some 2x4s together that are about 4 inch blocks. I dont remember how many, but is was just enough that the body mount areas sit on the 4x6s, not the body itself. Once we got it high enough, wesat the body on the mounts, and ran a short 2x4 on each side down the 4x6 that ties the body mount blocks together to keep them from coming off the 4x6's. then nail 2x4s across the top of the 4x6s to keep them from rocking back and forth as well. This ends up basically being a square frame with blocks at the corners to hold the body, and the saw horses hold the frame up. Now , you can roll the chassis out for under the body. Its easier to roll the chassis forward, especially if you have the motor and tranny in, because you dont have to lift the body as high, so prepair the setup to go that way. Make sure the saw horses are sturdy ( we used metal ones) and on frim ground. You dont want a chance of it rocking and falling. This also leaves the body at a nice heighth to take care of and pesky rocker panels or undercoating. Our tub only had two seats and a roll cage in it when we took it off, and you want the 4x6s in the center of the sawhorses, as close to the body as you can and still clear the tires. While we were working on the underside, we put extra supports in the form of 2x4s from the 4x6s to the ground right on the other side of the body mount towards the center. Use wood screws for this part if not for the whole project because you dont want to be beating on the supports while trying to put in a nail, and knock it over. More inportantly, DO NOT GET UNDER IT UNLESS YOURE SURE ITS STABLE. I hope this helps and not confuses you, but it worked for us.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have had good luck using an A-frame attached to the upper fender mounts on the cowl, and a cherry picker with a chain slung across both tailgate hinges. Works like a charm.