The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #76
hopped up

Re: 66 c10 first timer build

hey capt fab. so most c10 came with 3.73? i wouldve guessed lower ,like 4.11s the way my c10 sounds on the fwy. i dont have a tach right now but it sure is screaming on the fwy
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #77
hopped up

but i have a th350 tranny too, so that doesnt help the rpms. im thinking putting new gears 3.55 ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #78
allaboutchevelles

If this helps you any about the 3.55 gears.> I put 3.55 gears in my 69 chevelle and it has a turbo 350 with a shift kit and 2400 b&m stall converter. When I run down the highway around 65mph im taching 3000rpms. You can hear those flowmaster mufflers singing the gas blues all the way to the gas station.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #79
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It really is easy to find out exactly what gears you do have. Just pull the cover, and have a look. The tooth count is stamped on the edge of the ring gear. Of course you can always count the teeth yourself, then just divide the two. ie: 11/41 = 3.73. More than likely the gear oil needs changed anyway. Some 6cyl trucks came with 4.10's, but the 3.73's are the most common I've found in the 35 years I've been around these trucks.

As for your rpm's with any given gear, your rear tire diameter plays a part in that as well. A 3.42 gear is a good comprimise. A 3.07 gear is good for highway cruising with a slight trade off for a weaker take off from a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
hey capt fab. so most c10 came with 3.73? i wouldve guessed lower ,like 4.11s the way my c10 sounds on the fwy. i dont have a tach right now but it sure is screaming on the fwy
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #80
duallyjams

Love the out door shop. You are building a truck that you can drive and enjoy for a long long time.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #81
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Love the out door shop. You are building a truck that you can drive and enjoy for a long long time.
Yea thanks man. I cant wait for it to be on the road again. It will be a while but its all gana be worth it. Me my girlfriend and my dad have been working together on this so its also just a great time working with them on this cool project
Posted via Mobile Device
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #82
hopped up

Haven't really looked into it but are different gear ratios readily available for the stock rearend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #83
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes, it's just a truck 12 bolt that was used from '63-'82 in the C10's and from '63-'79-'80 in the K5's and K10's. Ratios from 3.08's thru 5.38's are available from the aftermarket as well as an assortment of posi's and lockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
Haven't really looked into it but are different gear ratios readily available for the stock rearend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #84
williamsboys

So im going to flip my frame over and paint it tomorrow, then i will start reassembling the front suspension. I was just wondering if you guys knew where i could get replacement hardware. like the big u bolts for the rear trailing arms and the bolts for the trailing arms and track arms, just any of that type of hardware. i going to call around tomorrow but i thought i would ask where yall get yours.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #85
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsboys View Post
So im going to flip my frame over and paint it tomorrow, then i will start reassembling the front suspension. I was just wondering if you guys knew where i could get replacement hardware. like the big u bolts for the rear trailing arms and the bolts for the trailing arms and track arms, just any of that type of hardware. i going to call around tomorrow but i thought i would ask where yall get yours.
Just about any Farm and Tractor store (Big R back home) or Trailer building/selling outfit will have them too. If all else fails, I would try a local welding shop, chances are they can make them for you.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #86
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Just about any Farm and Tractor store (Big R back home) or Trailer building/selling outfit will have them too. If all else fails, I would try a local welding shop, chances are they can make them for you.
Yea good idea, i called car quest and they said they should have them. They told me to just bring them in to match up.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #87
williamsboys

I didnt really want to drop 650 bucks on a power steering kit but i think i might since i got it all apart. my girl friend(pretty much wife) is tiny, i want here to be able to drive this thing and enjoy it verses just trying to man handle it around a corner ya know? just wandering if any one has delt with the kit from cpp? would it mount right up to the motor i have? and does having a long water pump make a difference? any input would be great. thanks guys. and here is a few pics of her working on the truck.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

and this one is one of my fav's she is changing the oil in it for the first time. She is the best super lucky to have her.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #88
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can add power steering for a lot less than $650.00, unless you need to have all new parts.

Since you have a small block with the long water pump, you just need a power steering pump,brackets,pulleys, hoses, and the steering box with pitman arm from a '73-'87 2wd Pickup, 2wd Suburban or 2wd Blazer. You should be able to find all of that in a local wrecking yard. Then you will need a steering box adapter plate like the one I sell.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #89
duallyjams

You should be able to do it for 1/3 of the cpp cost. Do a search on captfab bracket a lot of really good right up on it.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #90
McMurphy

Just dont be a dork like me and get the PS Pump from a 4x4... they are not the same.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #91
allaboutchevelles

I got my power steering box, hoses and the pump from a 72 chevy 2wd truck for 50 dollars. Then I bought a kit from cpp that came with mounting plates, bolts, pitman arm and the extension peice that goes on the end of the coloum that connects to the box for 60 dollars off of ebay.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #92
redneck6

wow looking good ( both ) keep up the hard work and it will be on road in now time .
redneck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #93
williamsboys

Thanks guys, i will look into all that.

Also i got my trailing arm bushings in. what is the easiest way to get the old ones out and replace them? I got the rubber ones so the whole thing is there rubber and metal sleeve. Any pointers?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #94
williamsboys

Alright!! got the frame all painted up. finished her just now. here is a few pics. Let me know what yall think.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and also while i was at a pull-a-part yard i found a sweet white seat out of a bad four letter word that starts with f and ends in d. I know I know how could I, but it was a 57 and my 59 needed a seat and i got it for 20 bucks so i can live with it. I just need to secure it down and it will be good to go.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #95
duallyjams

Frame looks good. Can't beat 20 bucks. In the old days it did not matter what type of vehicle the parts came from but to make it work on your hot rod.

65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto

IG duallyjams

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #96
williamsboys

Quote:
Frame looks good. Can't beat 20 bucks. In the old days it did not matter what type of vehicle the parts came from but to make it work on your hot rod.
yea. thanks man.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #97
McMurphy

Quote:
Old days ..... these days .... I am with Duallyjams. If you like it and you think it looks good, then chances are someone else will like it, and think it looks good too.
Everyone else can take a flying leap.

My side views came off a Ford... I am looking at Cadillac tail lights and I want a split fold bench seat with head rests and dont care what they come out of. When I am done with my monster some folk are going to cringe.

But I am cool with that.
Your frame looks awesome dude!
Cannot punk you for the work you gotten done so far!!

If these trucks werent meant to be transmorgified, they should not have made them so easy to work on!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #98
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Old days ..... these days .... I am with Duallyjams. If you like it and you think it looks good, then chances are someone else will like it, and think it looks good too.
Everyone else can take a flying leap.

My side views came off a Ford... I am looking at Cadillac tail lights and I want a split fold bench seat with head rests and dont care what they come out of. When I am done with my monster some folk are going to cringe.

But I am cool with that.
Your frame looks awesome dude!
Cannot punk you for the work you gotten done so far!!

If these trucks werent meant to be transmorgified, they should not have made them so easy to work on!
Thanks man! yea i was just kidden about the seat, i could care less what name a part has. I should be putting the front assembly on this weekend and starting ton the rearend. i will keep you guys posted.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #99
williamsboys

Got a visit from the parts fairy today got my rear springs and cups, adj track arm, and the back rubber bump stops, and the trailing arm bushings. is there a easy way to replace those bushings?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #100
williamsboys

well the only thing that happened this weekend is i put the new back rubber bumbers on and cut out the old runner bushings in the trailing arms. i didnt get much done i was busy doing other things.