The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Green66Shortbed

3 speed capabilities

i have my stock 3 speed tranny in my truck, and im wondering how much power it will handle. i just put a 350 in and i know it probably wont like it very much but im just wondering what to expect if my foot gets a little heavy sometimes.
Green66Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Re: 3 speed capabilities

The first question is what kind of 350? How much power we talking here. I had a 350 in my '63 fleetside backed by a 3 speed. The engine was nothing fancy, just a stock crate engine with a Quadrajet but it would sure do a good job of lighting up the back tires. I never had a problem with the tranny not handling a heavy foot with that motor. It may be different if you have a really tricked out 350 though.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
Green66Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears63 View Post
The first question is what kind of 350? How much power we talking here. I had a 350 in my '63 fleetside backed by a 3 speed. The engine was nothing fancy, just a stock crate engine with a Quadrajet but it would sure do a good job of lighting up the back tires. I never had a problem with the tranny not handling a heavy foot with that motor. It may be different if you have a really tricked out 350 though.
thats a good question. one that i dont have a very good answer to. i do know that it has a crane cam in it. i dont know the specs of it, though. roller rockers, a 650 holley 4 bbl, and it was rebuilt about 10 or 15 years ago, i think. nothing special.

Last edited by Green66Shortbed; 07-20-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Honestly, I think you will be okay with your 3 spd. Those little buggers are tougher than you think. I've had several trucks with them over the years and I have never once had one go out on me. I say try it and get into it real good. I bet she holds up fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

If you plan on lead-footing and burning tires, a picture or two will be required
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Green66Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by retodd7711 View Post
If you plan on lead-footing and burning tires, a picture or two will be required
oh, you better believe that if it happens, there will be some evidence.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
MikeN

If you have a 66 C10, you probably have the larger, fully synchronized Saginaw 3-speed, which is MUCH beefier than the earlier 3-speed with non-synchro 1st gear.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Green66Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
If you have a 66 C10, you probably have the larger, fully synchronized Saginaw 3-speed, which is MUCH beefier than the earlier 3-speed with non-synchro 1st gear.
i have heard that there are 2 different kinds. how would i tell which is which?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
MikeN

The smaller, earlier 3-speed has 4 bolts attaching the side cover to the transmission case, and being non-synchronized on 1st gear, you cannot shift into 1st while rolling unless you double clutch and blip the throttle. The later transmission is physically much larger, has 7 bolts attaching the side cover, and because it is fully synchronized, you can smoothly downshift into first at low speeds without double clutching.

I'm pretty sure that 66 was the first year for the larger, fully synchronized tranny, so if yours is original, you likely have a much better tranny that is both smoother and better equipped to handle more power.

I converted my 64 from the little non-synchro 3-speed to a later, much beefier Muncie 3-speed, and the difference is night-and-day.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Green66Shortbed

Quote:
The smaller, earlier 3-speed has 4 bolts attaching the side cover to the transmission case, and being non-synchronized on 1st gear, you cannot shift into 1st while rolling unless you double clutch and blip the throttle. The later transmission is physically much larger, has 7 bolts attaching the side cover, and because it is fully synchronized, you can smoothly downshift into first at low speeds without double clutching.

I'm pretty sure that 66 was the first year for the larger, fully synchronized tranny, so if yours is original, you likely have a much better tranny that is both smoother and better equipped to handle more power.

I converted my 64 from the little non-synchro 3-speed to a later, much beefier Muncie 3-speed, and the difference is night-and-day.
i have the non-syncro'd trans. my truck is pretty bone stock. boo. it only has 4 options on the option sheet in the glove box. i am glad that it still has that though, that in itself is neat to me. i also have no idea what double clutching is. i have always wondered. is it just what it sounds like?

how much did the muncie cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by Green66Shortbed; 07-21-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
MikeN

Double-clutching:

1) depress clutch, move shifter to neutral
2) blip throttle to bring RPM's up
3) quickly depress clutch pedal and move shifter to 1st before RPM's drop

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

I paid $150 for the Muncie, but it turned out to have a bad 2nd gear. A complete overhaul with all new bearings, syncros, and new 2nd gear ran me another $500. Throw in a new clutch/pressure plate/release bearing, shortening/rebalancing the driveshaft, and a new Hurst floor shifter, and I probably spent near $1,000. I'm pleased though...the more modern transmission really transforms the performance and driveability of the truck.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Green66Shortbed

Quote:
Double-clutching:

1) depress clutch, move shifter to neutral
2) blip throttle to bring RPM's up
3) quickly depress clutch pedal and move shifter to 1st before RPM's drop

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

I paid $150 for the Muncie, but it turned out to have a bad 2nd gear. A complete overhaul with all new bearings, syncros, and new 2nd gear ran me another $500. Throw in a new clutch/pressure plate/release bearing, shortening/rebalancing the driveshaft, and a new Hurst floor shifter, and I probably spent near $1,000. I'm pleased though...the more modern transmission really transforms the performance and driveability of the truck.
that sounds like a nice deal to me. did you have to go with the floor shifter or could you leave it on the column? if i was going to move the shifter down, i think i would go with a four speed. it would be sweet either way.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
MikeN

I had trouble rigging up the column shift linkage with the new transmission, so went the floor shifter route. I'm pleased with it.