The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #1
body bolt

Four Seizens compressor

I started my truck this morning and was greeted by what I assumed belt squeal. I saw the A/C was off so I shut down to check for a cat. No cat so I started it again and saw it was the A/C belt. I assume it's the clutch bearing and hopefully it's replaceable. Everything was going so well...
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #2
PbFut

Re: Four Seizens compressor

Yes AC clutch is replaceable. Easy to do with the removal tool. It was 6 bucks at Autozone. Seemed too cheap but that's what they charged me and a must to disassemble. You Tube the procedure helps with confidence to do the job. It is very simple and easy if you have good snap ring pliers. My compressor was off the truck. Might be a bit challenging if its still in place on the truck.
PbFut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:41 PM   #3
body bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
Yes AC clutch is replaceable. Easy to do with the removal tool. It was 6 bucks at Autozone. Seemed too cheap but that's what they charged me and a must to disassemble. You Tube the procedure helps with confidence to do the job. It is very simple and easy if you have good snap ring pliers. My compressor was off the truck. Might be a bit challenging if its still in place on the truck.
Thanks. I intend to replace only the bearing if that's the problem. I have a press.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #4
body bolt

Definitely the bearing. I assume that's the seal melted onto the facings. It had welded the clutch together. There was no noise the last time I used the A/C.

Last edited by body bolt; 07-09-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Did you buy the compressor? Warranty maybe?
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:14 PM   #6
body bolt

It's out of warranty and 4S doesn't even offer a replacement clutch. So it's either fix what I have or replace the whole thing.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:18 PM   #7
PbFut

I have a damaged clutch on my workbench but cannot see any numbers on the bearing. Rockauto has a A4 clutch assembly.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,6572
Old 07-11-2023, 11:43 PM   #8
body bolt

I pressed out the bearing. It's a 30BD5222DUK and I ordered an NSK version. The clutch appears to be a Denso copy. The potting in the coil is melted but it still works. Everything was working fine the last time I shut it down. I was running the A/C. The compressor turns fine. Very weird. I'm going to press in the new bearing and go from there.
Old 07-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #9
PbFut

I recently rebuilt most of my AC system. The pulley would not turn and I got the rebuild comment from more than a few. So I decided to do myself. When I disconnected the lines there was some, not a lot, of pressure making me question if a rebuild was needed. I already had purchased the parts so off came the old. Cleaning much of the system proved it was in perfect shape. Nothing but clean oil and cleaner fluid came out of the parts involved. Replaced dryer and compressor and soft lines but I bet all I needed was a $30 bearing. Well they say education is expensive.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:32 PM   #10
body bolt

I rebuilt mine 2 years ago when I converted to R134A. New compressor, condenser, drier, all new lines and hoses, flushed the evaporator and the POA. It was working fine; it was blowing cold air. I think the bearing failure spewed grease which caused the clutch to slip and overheat. I didn't hear, smell or notice anything off. My truck has stock exhaust and is very quiet so I tend to notice things that are unusual. I'm going to remove the rest of the clutch and ask around on A/C forums if anyone knows where I can get a similar clutch. If that doesn't work out I'll be looking at a new compressor.