The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2018, 05:37 AM   #176
Terrick down Under

Re: Fastfreddys 454ss

Well done, hard work has paid off!
Terrick down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #177
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Lots of great ideas and research for mods to our trucks. Great work.

I wanted to add that putting the closed chamber 396 heads on would have been a mistake just to raise the compression. The valve size is no bigger and the flow of the heads isn't enough better to be worth the effort and expense of rebuilding them. The closed chamber 396 heads have a bad valve shrouding issue in stock valve size with higher lift cams and it becomes a severe hindrance to air flow if you put the 2.19 & 1.88 valves into them. The later model open chamber versions like the 049 casting flow substantially better and are the one to go with if you want a large oval port stock head on an engine.

That being said the peanut port heads on our TBI 454 engines have a whole lot more performance potential than most people give them credit for. Even with the stock valve size they flow enough air to make some pretty good power in naturally aspirated form on an engine with good compression, a decent sized cam and a good flowing top end and exhaust. These were all the reasons the heads have a poor reputation to begin with. The stock compression is pathetic, the cam is unbelievably tiny and the intake & exhaust systems choke down what little air could get to or out of the heads so heavily that they never had a prayer of making any decent power in a stock TBI 454. With your supercharger, better intake, bored out TBI and headers all you need is a cam with the correct profile to work right with boost and still be computer control friendly so it is tunable and you are good to go.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #178
fredscarryall

Look what showed up. So far I’m 4 hours into it. That included going to the parts store. I took my time today installing the procharger intake hat, all the upper intercooler tubing that I can access from under the hood, the procharger with bracket and the belt. Tomorrow I will install the purge valve, fuel regulator line and emissions tube. Then the lower tubing for the intercooler and the intercooler from underneath. Hopefully I can Fire it up on Wednesday, retard the timing about 5 degrees and hook up the boost pressure gauge that I already installed. I just have to hook up the line. So far no big problems. The kit came with 111 inch belt and I had to get a 118 inch belt. I also had to grind 1/8 off a little tab off the front of the tbi for the hat spacer. I spent a little extra time on the procharger bracket. The bolts where a little tricky but not too bad. The cool part is I didn’t have to remove anything. I had to swap out the alternator bolt, the upper water pump bolt and power steering bolt for longer bolts with a spacers.The one thing so far that required thinking was the belt routing around the procharger. Just to let everyone know, the instructions are really old and not very good. Luckily I know mosty what to do. The rest is mechanical common sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 02-19-2019 at 01:56 AM.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #179
fredscarryall

I have till March 13 to get my truck ready for the Portland Roadster Show. If I get approved. The only things I need to do are, I want to respray the roof, use a painless process to remove a couple dings, clean up the interior, hookup the subs and amp, and make a real carbon fiber console insert. Then cut and buff. If I don’t get into the Roadster Show at least I will be ready for the car show season. I’m also kicking around the ideas of a red euro vinyl stipe like this dodge truck stipe that’s pictured. Also thinking about adding a rim stripe.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2019, 04:01 AM   #180
fredscarryall

I thought this was funny and a good way to try to convince your wife on buying a procharger
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 04:14 AM   #181
fredscarryall

I have been way to busy to work on the procharger and had to order a couple little parts. The system activates off vacuum. I can’t plug into the tbi vacuum. The system needs direct vacuum below the tbi. So I bought a treadstone vacuum block. Then I’m going to run the block into my brake booster line off my intake manifold. Since I plugged it off because of the hydroboost conversion. I need to run lines for the booster gauge, fuel regulator and surge valve. I will finally have time to start working on it Tuesday. I found out I got approved for the Portland Roadster Show. So I tinted the windows. The guy that tinted my windows had to redo the tint job on the drivers side. He did some pretty rookie work by leaving a 1/2” uncovered and he dented both my doors. Slamming one door into my Jeep and bouncing my other door into metal shelf a bunch of times. I gave him tons of room. He has 30 years experience and said he’s never done a show car or a truck this nice. I don’t really consider my truck a show truck and it far from perfect. He acted like he really didn’t know what he was doing. Also not going to do the stripe on the truck or the rims.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2019, 03:07 AM   #182
fredscarryall

5 hours yesterday and 6 hours today and the procharger is Done. I can’t believe it all fit. It’s pretty well engineered. Some of the tolerances are within a 1/2 inch. I figured out the instructions are just a guide not really a step by step. I had to modify a couple tubes and a few parts I didn’t need to use. But no big deal. I expected that. I had to get some air into the intercooler. Since it had to be mounted below the radiator. I needed to drill some holes in the air dam and run some screen so I don’t get debris in. I ran it up to temperature in the garage today with no issues. But you can’t really test the procharger until you drive it. It figures the day I want to drive it. It’s snowing.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #183
Big Daddy Bear

Nice work, looks professionally installed!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #184
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #185
arrg

You'll see much improved intake air temps if you can redirect that intake over behind the headlights instead of right above the header where Procharger leaves it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #186
fredscarryall

Thanks guys. Arrg i didnt even think about the intake yet, I agree. I don’t like where the intake sits either. Next I will have to make some sort of intake tube and maybe incorporate into the hood to get fresh air or Behind the headlight. There isn’t much room anywhere. In front of the headlight would give the intake tube a tough angle. But I will try it first with flexible tube for mock up.Whatever I do. Its got to get away from that header.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #187
jjzepplin

I think the stripe on the rims would look nice. I just got a little giddy inside when I thought of how good it is going to feel for you to drive this. JELLO!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #188
mingoman

Nice!
Old 03-09-2019, 03:50 AM   #189
fredscarryall

Wow. Took it for its maiden voyage today. It had to have added 250 to 300 horse power with only 7 psi of boost. Not to bad for a bolt on. Runs really good. When it spools up, you can hear it kick in and it sets you back in your seat.You punch it at 30 mph and it kicks it sideways .I Let it get to temperature in the driveway. Then I got in about a 15 minute drive 3 times around the block and drove it for 1 mile. Pulled it in the driveway for 5 minutes. Was going to go for a longer drive and suddenly the outside temperature dropped and it started snowing and sticking. It never snow around here in March. Oh well at least I know it runs awesome. A lot of people might think adding this much horsepower to a stock motor in crazy. But it shouldn’t be a problem because I won’t Bury my foot into the gas pedal everywhere I go.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:08 AM   #190
fredscarryall

So instead of going for a nice long drive. Not wasting any time. I still have to prep for the Roadster Show next week.Since I have a heater in the garage, I removed the fake carbon fiber wrap on the wing and front diffuser. Then painted them matte black. If this weather keep up, I don’t know if I will be able to paint my roof before the car show. The shop heater works good for small paint projects. But with the temperature outside I won’t be able to paint the bigger project. I also made up some real carbon fiber and I’m going to replace the center console shifter plate.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:47 AM   #191
fredscarryall

At the Portland Roadster Show
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #192
fredscarryall

Interior shots
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #193
Terrick down Under

It shows a lot of hard work there, well done.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #194
fredscarryall

1st place at the Portland Roadsters Show
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #195
Big Daddy Bear

Well deserved, congrats!!!
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #196
Terrick down Under

Well done, makes all those hours worth it.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #197
mingoman

Man that's awesome! Congrats!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:04 AM   #198
fredscarryall

I killed my Optima yellow top battery. Got a odessey 34/78 battery, some audio post terminals and a battery shut off to clean up the wiring under the hood. Also went a little further and crimped in some solderless 3/8 eyelets and red shrink tubing for the positive post wire ends. Because of the procharger I had to remove the washer jar that I never use to remount the train horn. Now I’m going to start cleaning up the engine bay. So I not embarrassed at a car show to open the hood
Attached Images

Last edited by fredscarryall; 06-01-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #199
Big Daddy Bear

Those terminals sure make for a nice and clean layout of the wiring!!
Old 06-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #200
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Bear View Post
Those terminals sure make for a nice and clean layout of the wiring!!
. Knowing me though, it just gives me more contact area to touch and short out.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote