The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #101
j.kirn

Re: jonz 63 K20 build

Do you have any pics of the front of the engine from underneath so i can see how its mounted
j.kirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #102
pope

Here is a place that makes brake cables for the 60s 4wd trucks, I had looked for years for cables for mine without luck before finding these guys.
http://www.inlinetube.com/
So do you have the eaton locker in your rear axle?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #103
pope

I also forgot to mention that I have found there was a mid production change with the 4wd trucks as well (not well known) which may only be a 1/2 ton thing as that is where I have encountered it so far. I have both versions, to easily tell the difference look at your front cab mounts if you have the ones that extend to the outer edge of the cab floor it is an early style chasis and if the front brackets are only 4 inches or so then it is a later style chasis. For some reason gm used different park brake cable leingths nearly every year on their K trucks.... btw does your truck have the deluxe style rear cab mounts?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #104
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I also forgot to mention that I have found there was a mid production change with the 4wd trucks as well (not well known) which may only be a 1/2 ton thing as that is where I have encountered it so far. I have both versions, to easily tell the difference look at your front cab mounts if you have the ones that extend to the outer edge of the cab floor it is an early style chasis and if the front brackets are only 4 inches or so then it is a later style chasis. For some reason gm used different park brake cable leingths nearly every year on their K trucks.... btw does your truck have the deluxe style rear cab mounts?
what do you mean by deluxe style rear cab mounts?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #105
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Anything new on this?
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #106
pope

There were a couple of style mounts that Chevy used the regular style and then they had these

This style gave a much smoother ride but were prone to sagging. They seem to be used on 3/4 ton and larger trucks perhaps to help counter act the stiff ride due to the heavier suspension. I had them on my 63 K20 and they were nice but started to seperate after I started to put some miles on the truck. I replaced them with the brackets and new Polyurethane bushings from a 63 GMC C15.

Last edited by pope; 02-19-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff...
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #107
padresag

that is right; they were used on 20 series and up to give the cab more of a floating sensation due to the heavier suspension. they were not deluxe. they were not used on any panels or suburbans
you can get them rebuilt at www.steelerubber.com
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #108
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kirn View Post
Do you have any pics of the front of the engine from underneath so i can see how its mounted
I don't , but will try to get some and post 'em up for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Thanks for the link, I have the 63 (ladder style, not X) frame with the narrower mounts,and the vulcanized rear mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Anything new on this?
the front wheel cylinders went out, so its been sitting again... hope to fix the front up this spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
that is right; they were used on 20 series and up to give the cab more of a floating sensation due to the heavier suspension. they were not deluxe. they were not used on any panels or suburbans
ron
thanks for the link I was wondering where to get that done.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #109
j.kirn

Thank you, i have a 62 k-20 im gonna restore and it had a 283in it but is long gone and wanted to see how it mounts in the front my 60
k-20 is different because it has the 6. the 63 k-20 may mount differemt than the 62, not sure
Old 02-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #110
pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
ron
Yeah, thats just what I had always called them since they were a much smoother ride compared to the standard mounts. Poor choice in words!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #111
pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.kirn View Post
Thank you, i have a 62 k-20 im gonna restore and it had a 283in it but is long gone and wanted to see how it mounts in the front my 60
k-20 is different because it has the 6. the 63 k-20 may mount differemt than the 62, not sure
My 63 k10 has the 283 and is the early style chassis, it uses the wishbone or "u" shaped bracket that bolted to the front of the block, which mounted to the round crossmember.... My 63 K20 is the later style chasis and had the engine mounts on the side of the block..
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #112
j.kirn

pope do you have any pics of this setup thats what was in it wish bne mount to pipe
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #113
pope

Sorry joe, I don't have any pictures of that truck on my computer, and I'm in on deployment in Iraq yet... but I did get a picture that looks like it off the web, I think these mounts were used up to 62 for the most part aside from some oddities like my k10...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
By the way if this one turns out like your 60 k20 she'll be a looker!
Old 11-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #114
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Well, after years of not doing anything with this truck other than moving it around the yard, I am happy to say it has found a new home! It is headed to a good home 40 minutes north of New York City!, The new owner plans to use and drive it, and has already purchased a long step bed. As he sends pics I might try to update- he has already installed a 1960 hood on it-
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2021, 11:49 PM   #115
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

More updates on the 63 from Gary- looking good!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2021, 11:51 PM   #116
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

More shots.
Attached Images